Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #21
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
I will have a look at the vents. Where the trailer was stored before i bought it, could definitely have had birds nesting in various places.
I need to hire a professional nose to tell me what the smell is.
Question though. assuming there is a dead something in one of the vents. How would smell get in the trailer when all the traps are full of water or antifreeze? Toilet has antifreeze sealing it. I think you would smell it outside the trailer not inside.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
"Sweet and sickening" is exactly how I would describe the smell of decomposing animal. I'm with the votes that it's a dead mouse. The good news is that nature eventually takes its course and eventually it finishes rotting and the smell goes away. It can take a while. Short of opening the walls, I'd check in every cupboard and closet that you can possibly reach. Or, when your nose is still fresh, see if you can locate the source. I don't know of anything that can mask that smell until it goes away by itself.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #23

Wierd.. I walked into the airstream today and it smelled great. I noticed no foul odor or sickening sweetness. Hmmmm.

OMG. I just noticed i am a 2 rivet member
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I am not sure what your "smell" is like, but we have a smell in our 2004 Safari. It is not a dead animal, nor is it sewer smell. It is not totally offensive, but it is also not appealing. We notice it most when we first enter the trailer after it has set for some time. But after we are camping for awhile, we do not notice the smell so much. But we have not figured out if the smell is going away,, or if we are just getting used to it.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
A battery that has gone dry gives off an odor like sewer gas. Check the water level.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

We had a smell develop couple of years ago in our 2002 Safari. It turned out to be the vent by the kitchen sink. Airstream calls this vent 1.50 Vent V-200 Automatic. There is also one in the bathroom sink plumbing.
We purchased one from a plumbing supply for under $5.00

Auto trap vent features:
  • Generally used in mobile homes, rv's, and trailers (not code in many areas for homes)
  • Used in places where non-mechanical venting is impossible to install
  • Operates mechanically with a spring and rubber diaphragm
Some call this mechanical vent a "check vent."

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
A battery that has gone dry gives off an odor like sewer gas. Check the water level.

Brand new batteries Shacksman. I replaced them right after i bought the trailer. They were both toast.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
I am not sure what your "smell" is like, but we have a smell in our 2004 Safari. It is not a dead animal, nor is it sewer smell. It is not totally offensive, but it is also not appealing. We notice it most when we first enter the trailer after it has set for some time. But after we are camping for awhile, we do not notice the smell so much. But we have not figured out if the smell is going away,, or if we are just getting used to it.
Thats interesting. I wonder if your smell smells like my smell.
Maybe all airstreams smell like this? How would i know. I have only been in 1, and it smelled .
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Thats interesting. I wonder if your smell smells like my smell.
Maybe all airstreams smell like this? How would i know. I have only been in 1, and it smelled .
Too bad we can't send smells over the internet or by email. We can not figure out what it is, but someone said "ferminahydl" (sp)
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Hi. I bought a 2004 ccd a few months ago and after towing it it wreaked BAD. Dont know what either sewage somewhere backing up.
Anyways.We stripped it, Flushed everything,cleaned everything thrice.
Aired it out.
But still there is an odor. Its not a sewage odor. Its not foul, kind of sweet and sickening. I cant describe it.
So. Have any of you used a commercial ozone generator to get rid of odors?
Thanks

A rats nest has a sicking sweet smell. I had to clean one out of an engine compartment years ago. I hope for your sake I'm wrong. Even after repeated washing of the engine, the smell lingered. Finally, after a year or so the smell burned off.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Here's some thoughts:

Could something have crawled into the fridge vent? If so, look all around behind the refrigerator and up the vent scoop for evidence.

My trailer frame was open just behind the coupler. It was a square mouse tunnel into the bellypan until I closed it up with stainless steel pot scrubbers.

I second the baking soda idea. But dump the little boxes out on to paper plates to maximize surface area. You can also use fresh cat litter to absorb smells.

Wash all the hard surfaces down with 50 / 50 vinegar and water mix. Some have had luck leaving a pan of vinegar out to absorb smells. Just keep vinegar away from baking soda or you will have a mess to clean up.

Cosmos
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #32

I am going to smell it again tomorrow. If i can detect the smell i am going to call a restoration business and see if they can detect what it is. But like i said. I smelled it today and it was fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Did you check the bottoms of the shoes you were wearing? No kidding!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
I'm pretty sure I know the smell you're talking about from a very vivid memory. Can't say it's exactly the same thing, but generally speaking I would agree that it's a dead something or another.

Our experience had some MASSIVE carpenter looking ants that appeared after a lunch stop in New Mexico. Maybe they were there when we bought it (we were on the way back and only 2 days on the road) or maybe they got in there.

I opened the front door, there had to be 20-30 of these huge suckers that were about as long as 3/4 inch. Oddly they were running in some weird circular pattern, all of them. We killed them with strong animosity.

Next day we started smelling this smell. Sweet, kind of bitter. Offensive in a curious way. Kind of like how a dead mouse has smelled in the house furnace after a few days but not as bad.

That night we stopped again, and when we opened the fridge there were a bunch of 40 or so that had been sitting between the top and bottom doors that dropped into the fridge. Yuk!

We killed them too, washed everything, bug bombed the trailer 2 times in a row and then washed everything again. Smell was gone and hasn't come back.

Recently I worked on a house putting a foundation under one that didn't have it. The old post and pier was munched on by carpenter ants, but much smaller ones. While working on it we got the pleasure to be under the house in their nasty mess, and I swear I could smell something very very similar although more musty. Sweet musty nasty ant smell.

I still have no idea how those huge ants got in but somehow they did. Might be another thing to look for in addition to dead animals. Dead or living bugs! eww!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Did you check the bottoms of the shoes you were wearing? No kidding!
Ask me how I know youre not kidding? Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #36

Ok. I checked the bottoms of my feet. They tested negative for dog poop, cat poop ,ant poop.

I walked in the airstream.................It smelled fine.
I am going to get the wife AKA bloodhound to check it out.
I guarantee she will smell something.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Ok. I checked the bottoms of my feet. They tested negative for dog poop, cat poop ,ant poop.

I walked in the airstream.................It smelled fine.
I am going to get the wife AKA bloodhound to check it out.
I guarantee she will smell something.
After all you have done, I doubt that it is the problem, but bedbug infestations, if bad enough, give off a sickening sweet smell. It is a substance they secrete from glands, so I suppose it could stay around for quite a while after they depart.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #38
Fulltimer Since 9/13/2010

2008 27' International CCD FB
Campbell , California
Send a message via Skype™ to carped8ta
Sewer Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I was going crazy chasing that smell. It was indeed a clean and spiffy sh**ter, the problem was a dry battery. Thanks Shacksman.

Up in the Airstream Blog
carped8ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
My DH wondered if there can be a leak in the blackwater tank which is allowing, yuck, sewage to "stew" in the belly pan?
Also, I like Decon a lot. Husby objects to my liberal usage of it, but I never see any mouse but a dried up one. However, in one house we had, I used it, and the rodent, the Ornery Thang, died in the wall of my husband's walk-in closet. The smell lasted seemingly forever!
I'm just sayin'.....

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrippin View Post
Our experience had some MASSIVE carpenter looking ants that appeared Next day we started smelling this smell. Sweet, kind of bitter. Offensive in a curious way. Kind of like how a dead mouse has smelled in the house furnace after a few days but not as bad.
Ants can produce a lot of formic acid. Think about apple cider vinegar and how it smells. Formic acid could be similar.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor, odour, smell