Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
charlottesville , Virginia
What is this thing called and where do I buy a new one?

This is an important piece of my sewer connection. One that I desperately need to replace, it is sitting upon a container right now, and it looks bigger than it is. All it is is the sewer gasket? or something like that? It connects the rv sewer hose to the sewer drainpipe. Is this something I can buy from regular plumbing supply or is it a rv only size? I am not a plumber and definitely high on the learning curve. Can anyone help me out here?

It is rubber and rotted out.

I think some of my plumbing was redone, as the toliot is a house style one, not the original. Otherwise my RV is 1975 Excella 31 ft. Thanks~
jimmieanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dearborn Heights , Michigan
that's a regular plumbing part called a no hub reducer, if it was the same size in and out it would be a no hub band, anyplace with plumbing supplies would have those (home Depot) just take the old one along to match the size up. Mark
Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It looks like some kind of reducer/adaptor. I'm assuming there was some kind of clamp on the smaller end as well. It is offset to prevent the accumulation of liquid behind the reducing flange.
You say you use this to connect to the sewer hose? Sounds like a PO mod to me. Usually there is a bayonet or camlock (quick disconnect) fitting for attaching the sewer hose.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
It looks like some kind of reducer/adaptor. I'm assuming there was some kind of clamp on the smaller end as well. It is offset to prevent the accumulation of liquid behind the reducing flange.
You say you use this to connect to the sewer hose? Sounds like a PO mod to me. Usually there is a bayonet or camlock (quick disconnect) fitting for attaching the sewer hose.
hmmmm? I am not sure what you mean by "PO" mod? But, I do know it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get my sewer connection to go into that no hub reducer. It takes me forever to get it to slide in place. So, what kind of "bayonet or camlock" would I need, man I would love to simplify that part of my job. ))) icky!

Oh, and thank you so much for the help and speedy responses! One never appreciates a good flush, until it is not possible. (smiling)
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmieanna View Post
hmmmm? I am not sure what you mean by "PO" mod? But, I do know it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get my sewer connection to go into that no hub reducer. It takes me forever to get it to slide in place. So, what kind of "bayonet or camlock" would I need, man I would love to simplify that part of my job. ))) icky!

Oh, and thank you so much for the help and speedy responses! One never appreciates a good flush, until it is not possible. (smiling)
PO mod = Previous Owner modification. Another 'mod' is TV = Tow Vehicle.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's a sample of a camlock sewer fitting: Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

The 'threaded' portion would go into the rubber adapter in your pic, permanently mounted with a hose clamp...you should be able to find one long enough to work, or modify a similar fitting for your use...

You would then attach a camlock sewer cap onto the fitting in the link above...and attach your sewer hose to the same camlock fitting when dumping the tanks... http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=10&CID=400

'PO mod' refers to a 'previous owner's modification'...

I'd visit an RV parts outlet to see what you can find to fit your rig...
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Why not post a few photos of the installation as it is now? Perhaps someone will suggest some changes to make life easier.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The info Mexray posted is for the "Bayonet" style connection. It doesn't matter whether it is "Camlock" or "Bayonet" as long as the connector and the end of the hose are the same type.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The rubber part is called a Fernco coupling. That one looks like an essentric (offset) reducing coupling. One that has the centers lined up is conssentric (nonoffset). Measure the ID and you have the size you need.

The sewer hose connection refered to by MrFixit. Could be an adapter fitting. Theoford (used in old Airstreams) to modern sewer connection. Theoford has the flat pins and modern has round pins.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dearborn Heights , Michigan
that no hub reducer isn't offset, it's torn nearly in half and just appears offset
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Wink

Thanks to all of you for the informative info. As stated, I am (is it low or high) on learning curve?? Either way, I am not savvy when it comes to plumbing and rv lingo.

Here is a little of my story. I inherited this A/S from my parents back in 2006, I think this is a 74 or 75 model. I know it is a Excella 31', but the title says one date and looking A/S archives it shows this to be another date? So I am always confused. Even the manual I have says 1971, but it covers several models, so that is not really specific. That said, I never use the same date twice? lol

This A/S had been "modified" before my folks bought it and actually they never used it once, it was my mother extra closet space, and they decided to give it to me, and my goal someday is to restore it, but money has always been my problem. I dream of the day when I can park it on a little lot nearby a lake and retire to live in it. That dream may take a while.

For now, I come to Arkansas once a year, I try to spend a couple weeks here, set it up (A/S is on my sisters property in a very small town) and basically do patchwork to keep it maintained.

It does not seem to be leaking and the interior is needing some work, but it is clean, and I enjoy my time in it.

The way I am connected to the internet right now is using a USB Verizon 760 broadband device, which does not require a contract. I get 1 month (1 G) for 50.00. But if I upload photos is drains my mbs. I was at my parents house for father day yesterday and put that photo up.

When I got back here last night late from spending the day with dad, my fridge has gone out too. arrrrgggg..... not surprised though, and that is another LONG STORY, which I will save for another day. (next post will cover the present topic at hand) This was just to explain my current situation.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Now that I have covered my personal life, here is what has happened so far this morning regarding that plumbing piece. I am in a small town in Arkansas, (pop - 4300) and they have 2 plumbing supply/hardware stores. No one has this piece. The last guy told me it would probably be at a RV supply, not Lowe or Home Depot? That is about 30 miles from here, no biggie, but I sure hope someone still sells this within driving distance? I know I can order one, but I will not be here much longer. I saw what each of the other stores carried, and the size was the factor, mine is smaller than the "one" they each carried.

So, off to Texarkana I go, I know of one RV store and it has Lowes and Home Depot, which is where I guess I can buy a fridge also.

Thanks everyone, I don't feel so "hung out to dry" when I can come here and whine about my little bump in the A/S road.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Good luck with your journey. The rubber fitting you're looking for goes by many different names but should be available at any Lowe's or Home Depot. It's not an RV-specific part and most RV places won't have one.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
All righty, just returned from Lowe's and installed the new connection. That piece is very flimsy rubber, nothing like the one I had. The old one seemed like it "had been" firm and hard to move. But Lowe's did not have the size I needed, and they allow dogs inside their store. I travel with a pup, so, Lowe's was it, and they found this very flexible piece that is not exactly the right size on either end. But, all that said, I tightened the metal ring very tight, gosh I hope that holds it? I have done a test, it has a very minor drip, hardly noticeable. So, I will try and order the correct one and install it next summer. I think the correct size is 3" x 2 1/2". So that is where that stands right now. Next I have to figure out what kind of fridge I want to put in, since the old one is limping along, I am sure the compressor is about to go. It is electric, but shoved back into a very tight place and no ventilation at all. I cannot believe it lasted this long. I am getting a smaller one, so it can breath. Man I love my A/S.