Old 11-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
I'm going for a viewing at CW today (depending on the work schedule). They have the 4 wheel 25 gallon in stock. And I have the same concern that Chuck raised about packing the truck around the BB. I had a brain burp about sticking it behind the propane tank on top of the battery box cover but then I started think about adding 30 lbs. to the tongue. Hmmm. Thanks for all the feedback.
-Ken

Old 11-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
IMO, this is one time when smaller is better...

Do you really want to "save up" 30 gallons of this stuff before emptying??? Even grey water gets stinky in a day or so in warm weather.

"Empty & empty often" is my motto ~ it's really not a big deal with a smaller tank. Also keep in mind, these things seem alot bigger once you get them out of the big store and are home trying to pack around them.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
For those of us who are sticking to the "wash water only" plan, wouldn't a simple 12v pump with hose fittings do the trick??? Hang the pump above the trailer discharge and turn on the juice. When the tank is full, turn off the juice, keeping the discharge hose above the trailer outlet and, eureka, even if the trailer was not completely drained there shouldn't be any mess! Of course, a macerator pump would also work - but the idea for most of us "giant-size blue tank affectionatos" is to keep the tank reasonably clean! I, for one, would simply plug a long power supply cord for the pump directly in to my TV outlet. I just hatched this idea for myself while reading the preceding - but I'm sure others have preceded me with similar plans. Other than using a standard fresh water pump, is there any other pump that would be well-suited for the task?
You could drain the grey water into a bucket and use a small submersible pump from the bucket to the blue boy. I like the idea of a peristaltic pump so the fluid being pumped never comes in contact with any of the pump internals.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
And, the longer wheelbase would obviously give a smoother ride and be more resistant to sway.
Maybe the big sale at HAHA could sway you to the dark side and imagine a 55 gallon steel boy - just make sure the running gear is balanced.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #33
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, and if you paint it silver and tow it behind the airstream, it'd look like an aluminum mini-me....

as for transfering grey water from the trailer to the external tank, I just use one of these "gravity pumps". Cheap, readily available, no moving parts...extremely reliable.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
So Chuck what is your BB packing strategy? I am now a 4 wheel 25 gallon owner (almost lost my nerve and got the 16 gallon). Leave it in the box, lay it flat and pile stuff on it, strap it to the bed wall on it's side...?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I had a 32 gal, but quickly saw that the cheap wheels wouldn't hold up on unpaved roads. It was too heavy to lift. I sold it and got two 10 gal tanks. I can lift them into my truck to carry them to the dump station. Depending on your camping preference, a larger tank may work for you, but it might be nice to have a smaller one as well.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #36
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
So Chuck what is your BB packing strategy?
I just roll it into the bed of the truck, and turn it sideways against the front wall of the bed with the front wheels castered 90 degrees. then I pile stuff on it/around it, so it can't really move. (otherwise, it would roll around). I never really know if I'm actually going to need it until I get to the destination, so often times, it just stays there for the duration. I don't have a "cap" on my truck; just a toneau cover, so its a bit of a pain to get stuff in and out that is stored "way up front". So I put the stuff I'm least likely to use up there...most likely to need toward the tailgate.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

We boondock, but water is available on site.

My friend has 2 blueboys. He uses one blueboy for auxilary freshwater!!! He has a Sureflow pump to transfer freshwater into his trailer tank. He removed the wheels from both because his experience was that the wheels break off in 57.5 seconds. ( balanced or not ha ha). He keeps it in his van.

I have the 4 wheeler 25 gallon blue boy. Haven't used it yet. I use a modified
5 gallon paint bucket. I dump it into my sewer clean out at home.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
My friend has 2 blueboys. He uses one blueboy for auxilary freshwater!!! He has a Sureflow pump to transfer freshwater into his trailer tank.
Not a bad idea, I do something similar for boondocking using a water barrel. But...I would definately paint one of them totes a different color so they never got mixed up!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Postscript (long winded)

We just returned from 5 days at Patagonia Lake State Park and gave the blueboy a christening (AZ state park hookup sites have power and water but no sewer). We ended up with the 22 gallon flavor. The 25 gallon 4 wheel was bigger then I wanted to pack in the truck and sat up higher in relation to the trailer tanks (more on that in a bit) so we traded it at CW for the 22. After a couple days at the park I decided it was time to lower the gray tank level and got out the blueboy. I had a spare bayonet connector and hose fastener (?) so I setup the short included hose with the included bayonet connector and my spare. I was thinking how prepared and smart I was and connected the blueboy up and opened the valve. The flimsy included hose immediately sprung multiple pin hole leaks. Ten minutes later it was in the (Raccoon proof) trashcan across the street. I recommend not even trying to use that accessory. I used my real dump hose (with a bayonet connector at each end) and got quite a bit in the blueboy but it was slow going. My basic technique was opening the gray tank valve letting the hose fill-up, closing the tank valve and then lifting the hose to drain it into the blueboy. Repeat for a while. I walked the blueboy down to dump station (it was pretty close) and that all worked fine and it is easy to rinse out. I saw a couple other campers towing their 25 4 wheel models but figured I could use the walk. A couple days later I tried it again and figured I would be smarter and hooked up my hose trellis and stationed the blueboy down hill a ways. This really didn't work much better and I ended up using same technique as the first time. There has got to be a better way to fill these things. The blueboy tank opening is just to high up (I saw SOB owners with higher trailer tanks having the same experience). I'm thinking a really short stiff hose might be the answer. Or is it siphoning? Hope someone out there has this solved.
Happy camping,
Ken
Old 11-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
After re-reading all the posts: GT6921, we also thought the 15 gallon model looked good (nice and low) but were leery of the wheels. Chuck, can you explain the workings of the "gravity pumps"?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #41
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Ken, the easy solution to filling the blue tote is to stand it up on end, loosen the small cap, install the regular-sized sewer hose to the large hole in the blue tote, and open the dump valve. You will get about 10-12 gallons in it doing this.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #42
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Chuck, can you explain the workings of the "gravity pumps"?
Thanks,
Ken
the explanation: it was a smart-@$$'d comment. a joke. it really isn't hard to get water to flow downhill. all that "gravity pump" is, is a washing machine hose. a 5/8 hose with 2 female ends.

what you do is get a sewer cap for your trailer that has a 5/8ths male garden hose fitting built into it. connect one end of the hose to it. Your blue-boy should also have a 5/8ths male fitting with a cap on it. connect the other end of the hose to that. then, take off the big 3" cap on the blue boy. open the dump valve on the trailer. If the top of the blue boy is lower than the bottom of your gray tank, it'll fill all the way, and you can easily watch the progress through the big 3" opening.

from your description, it sounds like you connected a standard slinky, and didn't open the little 5/8ths fitting to vent the tank. If air can't get out of the blue-boy, it won't fill.
I would be wary of using the 3" slinky, just because the flow could be so high, you might spill and make a mess. using the washer hose will be a little easier to control. But either one should work just fine, as long as the tank is vented.