Old 11-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I have use this in my Boat for years and never had the problems that come with chemicals cleaners and is healthy for the system.

Best way to loosen anything in a tank is the ICE trick.

David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master
The OP is dealing with a grey tank.

Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
I have use this in my Boat for years and never had the problems that come with chemicals cleaners and is healthy for the system.

Best way to loosen anything in a tank is the ICE trick.
P-traps would make it difficult if not impossible to use the ice trick.

The ice trick doesn't work as well as enzymes when it comes to nooks a crannies and buildup around valves.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Can't put ice cubes into a gray tank.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Originally Posted by frankfarmer View Post
Control panel shows in the orange.
Are the tanks still draining slowly or not at all? If it's just the tank indicator light(s) that you're going by, perhaps you have a tank sensor issue. You might try doing a Google search on "airforums holding tank sensors." The following thread might be of particular interest:

Good luck.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
The tanks drain fast & quick when I open the valves. My indicator light shows in the yellow???? Maybe they are OK? Thanks for suggestion. I'm using RIDX every day after a shower, letting it soak the tank, surely that will help.
Frank Burgett, Owner
Burgit Hill Herefords
Registered White Face Hereford Cattle
1099 Dailey Road, Snead, Al 35952
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Your grey tank empties well.

How do you know that there is build up?

Does the shower drain quick enough? Sinks drain quick enough ?

Are you just seeing the build up when you look down the drains?

Maybe you have a fur ball in the P trap.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you've got a lime buildup that is a mineral, so I doubt that Rid-X will really attack that. It does work really well on hair, grease and biological stuff though. Traditional cure is white vinegar - but it needs to be left IN the tank or P-Trap for quite a while, say 3 days. Ammonia also works on lime scale, and it can be diluted quite a bit and still be effective. I'd fill the gray tank to the brim after adding a quart or so of Ammonia - then leave the trailer for 24 hours - then drain it and open all of the windows and vents. You're gonna have some dead spiders from the fumes!

That is something which has been used for years to get the scale out of steam irons. BUT since most RV plumbing is PVC not metal, the scale should come off of it more easily. It sounds like this Airstream is up on blocks so you can't even agitate the tanks by running the tongue jack up and down.

If the problem is the kitchen or bathroom sink, to my knowledge (not all that great really) those drains all have traditional elbows that could be disassembled and cleaned out. The one under my kitchen sink actually came loose and found water dripping into the cabinet at Alumalina. The elbow is designed to be hand tightened so the fix was easy, and removing it would be super easy too. Just have a shallow pan to catch the yuck if you remove the elbow. The bathroom shower - now that one would have enough hair and stuff where Rid X would really work.

I hesitate to recommend a high pressure sprayer, but an ordinary garden hose might be useful to blow some stuff out of the shower's P-trap. Body oil and soap and hair can combine to be a big glob of slime - and a hose or a plunger might be the only thing that will start it moving.
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #22

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I generally make up my own. Pinesol, Borox or Calgon. On occasion I throw in the bacteria stuff.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thumbs up

The folks at SeeLevel recommended Happy Campers Extreme Cleaner. If used as directed, it should dissolve built up sludge and debris. (Mix with 3 gal. w/warm water, pour into tank. Fill tank 1/2 full, and take it for a "RIDE". Drain at destination.)
joanbob27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
Has anyone used Tank Techs RX? A product that's supposed to break down buildup and eliminate odor. They also claim to be environmentally safe. I've used Piranha for years and liked it, but am considering Tank Techs RX to prevent any buildup, since we plan to have this trailer for many years.

WHERRWE is offline   Reply With Quote