Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Weld it or glue it?

I am switching from thetford valves to valterra. I have piece of 3' black PVC welded in the new valve to serve as an adapter to the tank port. Question is, do I use an adhesive or the black PVC weld?
Or, maybe get an adapter that fits the outside of the tank port instead of sliding my adapter pipe on the inside? Same question though, how would I attach it?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_165546.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	321317
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would consider a Fernco clamp.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
X2 on the Fernco. Easy to install. Easy to remove.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Clamp
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
X2 on the Fernco. Easy to install. Easy to remove.
X3

Vibration happens. Fernco handles it.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
I am switching from thetford valves to valterra. I have piece of 3' black PVC welded in the new valve to serve as an adapter to the tank port. Question is, do I use an adhesive or the black PVC weld?
Or, maybe get an adapter that fits the outside of the tank port instead of sliding my adapter pipe on the inside? Same question though, how would I attach it?Attachment 321317
A rubber coupling is smaller diameter than the nipple on the tank, so it will be difficult to get the coupling onto it. Also, if you use rubber couplings, you will have to cut them to a shorter length.

I think there is really not enough room for Fernco couplings, so a clamp (and sealant) it will probably be. And, this will still allow it to be removed if needed.

The problem you are going to have is lack of space.
The pipe, adapter, and valve can only take up about 3"-4" of space on each side. The distance between the gray and black tanks is fixed. The dimensions of the two required fittings (combination wye and street el) are a fixed dimension. There's not much wiggle room.

If you get this accomplished please take photos and provide a materials list.

I did mine a while back. I wanted to use the less expensive Valterra valves, but in the end used Thetford valves because I could not figure out how to make the change.

ps:
photos at my thread show space limitations
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...es-162941.html
Old 09-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
The inner pipe adapter I made allows the valterra valve to sit flush up against the tank, if it's any indication of fit the valve lever protrudes through the body in the same exact spot as the old one did. The other side of the valve will have the rubber fitting to connect to the wye and give me some wiggle room.
Photos tomorrow. I hope.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
A rubber coupling is smaller diameter than the nipple on the tank, so it will be difficult to get the coupling onto it. Also, if you use rubber couplings, you will have to cut them to a shorter length.

I think there is really not enough room for Fernco couplings, so a clamp (and sealant) it will probably be. And, this will still allow it to be removed if needed.

The problem you are going to have is lack of space.
The pipe, adapter, and valve can only take up about 3"-4" of space on each side. The distance between the gray and black tanks is fixed. The dimensions of the two required fittings (combination wye and street el) are a fixed dimension. There's not much wiggle room.

If you get this accomplished please take photos and provide a materials list.

I did mine a while back. I wanted to use the less expensive Valterra valves, but in the end used Thetford valves because I could not figure out how to make the change.

ps:
photos at my thread show space limitations
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...es-162941.html
Fernco couplings are available in step up/down internal diameters.
I looks to me like the adaptor outside diameter is about the same outside diameter as the female outlet on the tank. Not the part that is shown sliding into the female adaptor but the part that is the female section of the adaptor.
Why can't you cut the nipple (male part) shorter, slip it into the tank outlet to where it would be as short as possible. Slide the Fernco coupler over the female part of the adaptor, then over the female tank outlet. Tighten the clamps?
Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a similar setup as A W
. What a fine piece of engineering by A$.
I guess they thought the valves would last forever.
Wound up buying all new parts because it was all glued together except for one joint with a rubber coupler. Not a Fernco but close.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
Or, maybe get an adapter that fits the outside of the tank port instead of sliding my adapter pipe on the inside? Same question though, how would I attach it?Attachment 321317
Fernco sounds like your best option as it will be flexible and with the clamps you can always service in the future. Plumbing installation always amazes me because it is typically designed as though nothing will ever go wrong and require replacement of pipe or fittings. I understand the cost element of building a house and the usage of less expensive methods but in a trailer/RV with all the potential vibration it is not a matter of if but when. I am sure all you experienced owners realize this.
Dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I. Think all you need is a stainless steel clamp. If it fit s inside like it looks, that should work. Just try it with hose water first. Yes they make fernco couplers in all sorts of combinations.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
yup you were right..

"The problem you are going to have is lack of space."

I cannot get the Valterra valves to attach at the proper distance to the tanks to duplicate the width of the thetford valves, they are just too thick.
The flexible rubber connectors are either 3" or 4" but nothing in between that would give a good seal and allow me to maybe shorten the flange on the tank side so I could set the adapter flush to the tank nipple at the proper distance.
I'm ordering a thetford gasket kit as it all seems to be in pretty good shape other wise.