Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
Water tank assistance..heater duct etc

Hello everyone,

Ive been doing some work in my 1977 27 foot overland. After the big freeze we had here in georgia and more leaks discovered in my copper lines I made the conversion to pex. and Since i went that far i decided to replace my water pump as well. after hooking everything up i discovered a leak in the hose that supplied water from the holding tank to the pump. I have now dropped my fresh water tank from below.

This brings me to my questions:
1)where would i find "potable water tuning" with the no kink springs in it?

2) where can i find 2" thermaflex duct hosing to replace from the furnace?, I tore mine when taking out the tank.

3) it's $500 for purchase and shipping of a new tank, should i do this? or simply double check the one i have clean it and put it back?

Some quick and timely responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
Rofkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
You can re use the old springs in new tubing, or just get the clear reenforced tubing with the cord in it. I cleaned my fresh water tank with a mixture of bleach, dish detergent, and fish tank gravel. I just rocked it back and forth to let the gravel scrub off the green algae from the bottom. Mine had been sitting for a long time with a little water in the tank before I bought it, so inside the tank was gross. But it cleaned up just fine.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
Should I be concerned about this crack?

Is there a good patch? Like fiberglass?

Or Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397320127.150681.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	802.5 KB
ID:	209497should I replace the tank ?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I replaced my water tank with a replacement from Out-of-doors Mart last summer on my 1978 Ambassador.
I believe you have the same water tank on yours;
Fresh Water Tank with Probes 600833-03 [600833-03] - $169.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
No problems!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The only way to fix those tanks is to melt the cracks back together. I used a soldering gun on mine. I used some pieces I cut off the ends that were part of the manufacturing to use as solder to fill the crack. It has held for 2 years now. The original fittings were either moulded in, or spun welded on after. The tanks usually crack by a fitting because the tank is moving around, and the fitting is trying to keep it in one place. Make sure the tank is securely fastened down so it cannot move.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's a source for various ducting products:

Flexible Ducting / Uninsulated Flex - DW Inc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
Thanks everyone for your speedy replies. I used fiberglass to patch the crack, cleaned the inside with bleach and fish tank gravel, and ordered a new heater hose and it'll be here tuesday. I can put it all back together this week and be good to roll for a while i hope.

At least until I'm ready to tackle the floor and belly pan which will be a HUGE project
Old 04-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofkrynn View Post
Thanks everyone for your speedy replies. I used fiberglass to patch the crack, cleaned the inside with bleach and fish tank gravel, and ordered a new heater hose and it'll be here tuesday. I can put it all back together this week and be good to roll for a while i hope.

At least until I'm ready to tackle the floor and belly pan which will be a HUGE project
You cannot patch plastic with fiberglass.

It will fail probably the first time your on the road.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
Ok, I will take that under advisement and make a change today....it'll be Wednesday before my new heater hose comes in anyway.