Old 08-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #1

1978 31' Excella 500
benton , Wisconsin
water leak

I have a 31' 78 rear bedroom Excella. For the first time ever I had a water leak. It wasn't fresh water. It came form under the waste tanks. I spent most of today adding water in 5 gal increments about every half hour to the black water tank. It didn't leak. I drained it and then started the same on the gray water. As of a few minutes ago, it now has 25 gals in it. The owners manual sez the waste tanks hold 25 gals each. Does the gray tank have an air vent on top to allow air to escape as water enters and if so will gray water escape thru it when the tank is over full? Thanx ...Ding

Old 08-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Your gray and black tanks have vents on top of the trailer.
You said it wasn't fresh water.
Was it rain water? If it was rain water, your vent gaskets on top of the trailer at the vent may need replaced. When they fail, rainwater can get past the gasket and run down the vent pipe into the trailer onto the floor, or onto a interior support rail, and then run wherever gravity and wicking of insulation takes the water. That is to say, you can leak at the vent, and the water show itself far away from the vent.
When you fill your gray water to over capacity, the first place it shows up is in the shower floor.
When the black tank is over capacity, the toilet view will show no drop from the bowl to the tank. The toilet is the only thing that feeds into the black tank, I believe.
The first question I have is, was it rain? Could it have run down the vent pipe and onto the outside of the tank? You perhaps could color the water in the grey and black tanks with food color or tank treatment chemicals to determine if it came from inside the tanks?

Old 08-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #3

1978 31' Excella 500
benton , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Your gray and black tanks have vents on top of the trailer.
You said it wasn't fresh water.
Was it rain water? If it was rain water, your vent gaskets on top of the trailer at the vent may need replaced. When they fail, rainwater can get past the gasket and run down the vent pipe into the trailer onto the floor, or onto a interior support rail, and then run wherever gravity and wicking of insulation takes the water. That is to say, you can leak at the vent, and the water show itself far away from the vent.
When you fill your gray water to over capacity, the first place it shows up is in the shower floor.
When the black tank is over capacity, the toilet view will show no drop from the bowl to the tank. The toilet is the only thing that feeds into the black tank, I believe.
The first question I have is, was it rain? Could it have run down the vent pipe and onto the outside of the tank? You perhaps could color the water in the grey and black tanks with food color or tank treatment chemicals to determine if it came from inside the tanks?

It wasn't raining and I have been on the roof several times and don't recall any tank vents other than the stink pipe witch woould allow water into the black tank. Like I said. I added water to the black tank to the bottom of the toliet bowl. No leak. If I add water to the gray tank by pouring it down the kitchen sink drain untill it comes up in the shower. I have water leaking from the alum that covers the gray and black tanks. All of this after no rain for several days. The ? is the same. On my 78 31' Ecella rear bedroom, is there a vent on the gray water tank that allows air to escape as water from the drains enters the tank and if the gray water tank is over full, can water escape that vent and run out under the trailer? Thanx Arnie
Old 08-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
There is not any kind of overflow for the black or gray tanks. They have the roof vents, but that is for air.

Couple of ????

When did the water show up?

Was it in the course of normal use, or after it was in storage?

Have you done the same leak test with the fresh water tank?

Can you leave the water system pressurized on the pump and come back in a few hours and still have pressure ? This assumes you pressurize and turn off the pump.

The center baths are nice because the plumbing is all in one section. You may have a fresh water leak either under the toilet, or from the bottom of the water heater. I would pressure test the plumbing, the tank test you did eliminates the tanks.

I would also cap the sewer connection and release the gray water. If the leak starts then you know it is in the plumbing after the tanks, a bad valve or cracked pipe.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ding
It wasn't raining and I have been on the roof several times and don't recall any tank vents other than the stink pipe witch woould allow water into the black tank. Like I said. I added water to the black tank to the bottom of the toliet bowl. No leak. If I add water to the gray tank by pouring it down the kitchen sink drain untill it comes up in the shower. I have water leaking from the alum that covers the gray and black tanks. All of this after no rain for several days. The ? is the same. On my 78 31' Ecella rear bedroom, is there a vent on the gray water tank that allows air to escape as water from the drains enters the tank and if the gray water tank is over full, can water escape that vent and run out under the trailer? Thanx Arnie
Ok..now we are getting someplace.
Looks to me like the entrance pipe for water to the grey water tank is perhaps broken it's seal. Once the grey water tank if full and ready to back up into the shower, (the usual low point for grey water), water is not staying contained inside the system, but is backing up past the point where it used to be sealed at the grey tank opening.
It seems to me that it does not leak until the tank is nearly full according to your explanation. If you drain your grey water at every dumping station and do not allow it to get very full, sloshing around the tank during travel, then you likely won't be wetting the metal tank cover continuously and making it prone to rust. Otherwise, the fix would be to completely locate the exact point of the leak and reseal the connection. That could be quite a couple of days work on your own, or several hours at $75 an hour at a dealer.
The question is how important is it to you to have it not leak when it gets overfull?
Old 08-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #6

1978 31' Excella 500
benton , Wisconsin
[QUOTE=thenewkid64]There is not any kind of overflow for the black or gray tanks. They have the roof vents, but that is for air.

Mine only has one roof vent and it can be traced to the black water tank only.

Couple of ????

When did the water show up?

After a long weekend when the gray water tank was at or beyond capacity.

Was it in the course of normal use, or after it was in storage?

Normal use

Have you done the same leak test with the fresh water tank?

No, the leak is under the gray and black water tank area about 3 feet from the fresh water tank. The leak is only present when the gray water tank is at capacity.

Can you leave the water system pressurized on the pump and come back in a few hours and still have pressure ? This assumes you pressurize and turn off the pump.

The leak is only at the gray water tank even when the fresh water tank is completely drained. The fresh water system works fine. no pump cycling.

The center baths are nice because the plumbing is all in one section. You may have a fresh water leak either under the toilet, or from the bottom of the water heater. I would pressure test the plumbing, the tank test you did eliminates the tanks.

The interior of the trail;er is never wet. The water heater doesn't leak or the pump would cycle. And the carpet is dry everywhere.

I would also cap the sewer connection and release the gray water. If the leak starts then you know it is in the plumbing after the tanks, a bad valve or cracked pipe.

The vales were rebuilt just this past winter. They do not leak. The leak is only when the gray tank is at or over capacity with the valve closed and the cap off. The sewer conection is dry. The water runs out of the alum covering under the black and gray water tanks. If the conection from the trailer drains was unsealed at the tank it would most probly leak anytime water was released from a sink and allowed to flow to the gray water tank. It does not. Thanx Arnie
Old 08-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Arnie- The leak is at the connection for the grey water tank to the drain plumbing, or at the connection to the vent, which emerges probably above the kitchen sink area of the trailer on the roof. There are definitely two vents...otherwise the grey tank would glug glug glug as it drained. The tank would not necessarily leak in normal use if the drain pipe is loose at the tank connection....gravity being the law, and water falling downhill into the tank, it would not necessarily be able to come uphill out of the tank until the water level had risen to the level of the seal that is broken.
Either your vent connection is loose, or your drainpipe connection is loose, or you have a break in the tank itself high in the tank.
The only way to know for sure is probably to remove the tank covering, or see if there is an access panel someplace.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #8

1978 31' Excella 500
benton , Wisconsin
water leak

After much experimenting adding water with an icecream untill it backed up in the shower, I find the leak is very high in the tank. I can see nearly all of the plumbing that is above the floor and a little below the floor. All is dry. Thanx for all the ideas. Ding

Either your vent connection is loose, or your drainpipe connection is loose, or you have a break in the tank itself high in the tank.