Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Water flow question...

On trailers/motorhomes with gray water tanks, is there a feature available that when you are hooked up to a sewer outlet, that you can allow your gray water to flow straight out to the sewer rather than to your gray tank first?

I can't remember exactly, but I believe my old SOB used the gray tank, then you had to open the valve to let it all flow out to the sewer.

The reason I am asking, is because I am retrofitting my trailer with gray tank plumbing, and am putting in a valve/diverter to either direct the water to the tank or directly out to the sewer. Obviously if I am at full hook ups, I wouldn't want to be filling my gray tank. For rinsing out after blackwater dumps I would just need to turn on a faucet for a minute or two.

Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I think what you do is just leave the grey water dump valve open. (leave the black one closed). water goes into the tank, and then immediately exits and goes down the chute. no need to run a separate line. the black and grey lines join DOWNstream of their respective valves, so each can be operated seperately.

I think its also common advice to let the grey tank fill on the last day of your stay, so you have a ready supply of soapy water with which to rinse out the stinky-slinky.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote