Old 11-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Waste tote recommendations

Hi Airstream users!
Does anyone have a waste tote system that they highly recommend? And highly don't recommend. We are looking for one that we could pull behind our truck.
Thank you in advance.
Betsy

Betsy Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Hey Betsy! We were just up your way last weekend. We have family in the Brevard/Asheville parts of WNC. Visit there often. We absolutely love it up there.

We have a Thetford Blue Boy tote (which is actually gray), but it's not the tow behind version. Thetford makes good stuff, I think you will be pleased if you go with one of their tow-behinds.

If you are handy, you may be able to buy a cheaper version with just a simple handle and McGyver a tow handle to it. Not that complicated, really.

Enjoy your beautiful mountains!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Portable Wastewater Transporter

We purchased this model of Tote-N-Stor wastewater storage tank, primarily because of the castor front wheels. It is also solidly made. The 18 gallon size is rather large. I would definitely not want a 25 gallon and have to carry it around in the back of the truck.
Just be warned that because Airstreams sit so low to the ground, draining from the gray or black tank can be a problem if you are on a very level site. I think this will be a universal problem no matter the brand of portable wastewater container/transporter that you buy.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/tot...FcZDhgodNm0Lcw
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
We opted for the smaller 12 gallon size for a couple of reasons that may or may not apply to your usage situation.

A--We only planned to use for gray water when national park camping. Our camping style is we only use the black tank for #1, so it is never full before we are moving campsites.

B--We would be using only 1 or 2 trips per year, since we are still working. Would need this when camped at national parks or friends lake houses without any hookups

C--in that size, 2 people can lift the full tank. Weighs about 100 pounds full. Per an excellent suggestion by Protagonist, we added a double-looped strap around the side of the tank opposite the handle. This makes it easy for 2 people to lift the full tank.

D--in actual use, we found it even simpler to fill and drain when it was about full into the campground dishwashing sink.

E--Under $100

F--Didn't want anything larger. These are already fairly big.

Agree with above poster that the slope can be an issue. We used a thetford adapter that screws onto the dump valve connection on the AS, and then lets a standard garden hose connect to it. Then drain using the garden hose (10 foot length) into the blue boy tank. This lets you position the tank as far downhill as you can to aid in draining. NOTE this would not work for black tank!!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
We've been using the Thetford !2 Gallon Tote for 6 seasons with the Tradewind without any problems so far.

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...-2-wheel/33363

Piggy Bank and the others have pretty much covered all the bases as to the size and use. I'll just add that when it's time to drag it down to the dump station I have a ratchet strap looped around the handle a few times and hooked into the safety chain loops on the receiver to lift the tank up high enough to tow.
I think I read the maximum tow speed was 5MPH.

Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Montpelier , Vermont
i'm she
danic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
There are a number of recent threads which cover the topic pretty well:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ote&gsc.page=1

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...te-152301.html

We also got the Thetford 12-gallon for its portability, store-ability in the tow vehicle, and <100 pound weight full. Grey water only. Use rope to tie it to the rear step bumper for low-speed tow to dump station.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote