Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
Waste tanks

I am still looking at the tanks out of a 1979 31'. I have confirmed it was a rear bath. He has all three tanks,monitors,and control board (dont know what its really called). My '69 is 29' and rear bath. I think the tanks would work but I am guessing. I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this. He priced all for $100.
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
You really are going to have to find out what the dimensions are. It is as simple as that- either they fit or they don't. I dont know, but I would bet money the frame dimensions are different.
I am close to certain that '69s did not come with gray tanks. This means you are looking at a retro fit. This is not a small job. I recently did just that on my 68- not simple, but it is doable.
On the other two tanks, you might call the factory and see what they say. Do not get caught up on the cheap price of the tanks being offered- the tanks will end up being the least of the cost. Dont ask me how I know this.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Also keep in mind that a lot of those old tanks where plastic. And they don't always hold up to time. in the past two years of renovation I have replace my tanks and added a grey tank. You can pick tanks up in all sizes to fit just about anywhere...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
I am still looking at the tanks out of a 1979 31'. I have confirmed it was a rear bath. He has all three tanks,monitors,and control board (dont know what its really called). My '69 is 29' and rear bath. I think the tanks would work but I am guessing. I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this. He priced all for $100.
Your holding tank is sideways in the frame.

The 79 is length wise.

The water tank for a 69 fits under the front lounge.

The 79 water tank, fits underneath the floor by the axles.

The price is a good deal, if the tanks are OK, BUT, it's a pure waste of money for you since none of them will fit, not even close.

You can modify the chassis, if you wish, and then further modify it and the shell so that the rear end separation problem doesn't show it's face.

Bottom line for you??? Bad deal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
Andy, would it fit if you change black and grey out? I have already taken care of potential rear seperation. Are the frame openings the same?
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
Andy, would it fit if you change black and grey out? I have already taken care of potential rear seperation. Are the frame openings the same?
You cannot use new tanks, on an old trailer.

The chassis are very different in sizes.

It would take tons of time to sort things out, and then the bottom line is you would find out that the tanks don't fit, and would want to return them.

Getting custom tanks mad is about the only way you can go.

But, be prepared to pay a premium when custom tanks are ordered.

Sorry, but life is not that simple, and especially switching Airstream parts from one year to another.

Regards.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote