Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Waste tank valve lubrication

Hi all. I have a 2001 Excella Classic. Recently I've found the waste valves operating a bit rough. I usually spray silicone on the pull stems and this has been a temporary help but I'm thinking that the problem is deeper in the valve and may need some internal help and eventually replacement. I'm hoping to put replacement off and I'd like to see if there's any internal additive that works. I see 2 offered on Amazon. One from Thetford and one from Camco. The cost is about equal for a small bottle. Do any of these type of additives help ???? That is my dilemma of the day.

ThanX all. See ya on the road someday

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Can’t wait for informed replies. I asked the same question of the AS tech at Jackson Center and he only said to spray the pull rods with lubricant. He didn’t know about the Thetford stuff I happened across in the parts store after we spoke. Wondering the same thing. Mine is new — and I just want to keep it all moving smoothly... Thanks, Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Dump some used cooking oil in an empty tank
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Poteau , Oklahoma
Rubber gaskets and seals probably getting a little tired and the Thetford valves are a little outlandish price wise for what they actually are.

But your in luck they have a rebuild kits for most Thetford valves for around 18 bucks vs the 80 smackers for a new one. It has a new flat gasket and rubber seals.
The other route that some people do is buy an adapter for the newer and much cheaper Valtera valve. You can also try to use some silicone grease and get it anywhere you can access rubber wise and operate it a few dozen times to try to loosen it up some. AND while your heads down there in that unpleasant spot replace the rusted mounting screws with some stainless ones if you can find em so you will always be able to get it off down the road.

I personally like the Thetford style and chose to rebuild the one I had.
cowdiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I have used the Thetford valve lubricant and it works fine. Follow the directions. Simple.
Cooking oil will also work in a pinch. Quit using harsh chemicals, especially those with alcohol.
The use of deodorants is also probably unnecessary if you use the systems properly.
The black tank is vented thru the roof. The grey tank is vented to the black tanks vent (and hencce, thru the roof.) The sinks/lavatories can harbour bacteria/odors in their "P"-traps. Splash a little bleach in the sinks.
Avoid running a roof fan, range exhaust fan, or Fantastic Fan without a cabin window open to releive the suction (which could lead to long-term peace.) If you run an exhaust, range, or fantastic vent fan with the windows closed... it will bring air down the black-tank roof vent and into the cabin...along with all that aroma from the black and gray tanks.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote