Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Question waste tank pan question?

Hello,
I have yet another question. Did the 1966 Safari have a metal waste pan holding up the black tank? When I took out the black tank it was attached to the floor with screws and the Styrofoam 'pad' was resting on the belly pan. I know that area had been worked on based on the number of fiberglass and putty patched I found. What I'm wondering is if they had put it back together the same way or 'rigged' it to work? If there was a metal box how was it attached, if not, what is the best way to attach the new black tank? The new one is ABS not fiberglass and slightly larger.
Thanks
Deborah
drowe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Well my 68 had a metal pan holding it up. It slid up under the back of the frame and there was a peace of angle iron that went across the frame to hold up the other end.

When I put the new tank in, it came with a flange that I drilled holes through and screwed it to the bottom of the floor with. I felt this was a much better way to hold in 100 plus lbs of water. I did put the pan back in and then the belly pan.

The main reason the pan went back in was, there was a tube from the forced air heat to the pan to stop it from freezing. I also had to rebuild the pan as the old one was rusted out. This is probably what happened to yours...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe42 View Post
Hello,
I have yet another question. Did the 1966 Safari have a metal waste pan holding up the black tank? When I took out the black tank it was attached to the floor with screws and the Styrofoam 'pad' was resting on the belly pan. I know that area had been worked on based on the number of fiberglass and putty patched I found. What I'm wondering is if they had put it back together the same way or 'rigged' it to work? If there was a metal box how was it attached, if not, what is the best way to attach the new black tank? The new one is ABS not fiberglass and slightly larger.
Thanks
Deborah
Deborah,

My 67 has what Jason describes and I suspect yours is the same. If you'd like pictures, I can e-mail you some. Mine is removed and requires some repair also.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
I would like to see some pictures of what it looks like so one could be fabricated. Also, if you could include the dimensions of the pan, I could use them to estimate the size ratio of the new one since I did get a larger pan.
Thanks so much.
Deborah
drowe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I sent you an e-mail with pics.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I was at a sheet metal shop today with drawings to have a new galvanized black tank pan make up. My old tank was screwed to the bottom of the floor with about 100 screws. Not good. I can send you pics what it looks like for a 68 Trade Wind. The sheet metal guy said he could use some cut off pieces and the cost would be minimal. I used 2" angle iron to fab new support pieces for the tank.

Originally they had styrofoam "pillars" lining the bottom of the pan. They were of differing heights to conform to the contour of the bottom of the black tank and to hold the top of the black tank level with the top of the galvanized box while supporting it completely on the bottom. (Hard to describe but very simple).
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Could the above mentioned also send me the mentioned photos? I am currently doing the exact same tank, pan and floor replacement on my 65 sovereign. Many thanks!
gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
If you would like, you can go to this link

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u343/dnrtheil/Airstream%20Bathroom/

and view the pictures I took of my recent bathroom remodel which included building a new black tank tray. My black tank does not mount to the floor, it just rests in the tray. Only the toilet flang keeps it from moving around.

Derek
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
dnrtheil: Tank tray looks really nice. Is that made from some type of plastic with aluminum gussets? I had mine made out of galvanized steel by the local HVAC guy. He did a great job, but I like your idea better. After reassembling (with the original tank) and 6 years of use, our tank is leaking. I need to pull it back out and replace. If anyone knows of a good source for a new tank, please let me know. My e-mail is drm101@comcast.net.
Regards,
Dean
drm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm101 View Post
dnrtheil: Tank tray looks really nice. Is that made from some type of plastic with aluminum gussets?

The tray is made using a material called alupanel. It's two pieces of .3mm aluminum with a polyethylene core. Should last a very long time, we have been using for a couple of years now in the sign business. I then used 1/8" thick and 1/16" thick (because that's what I had in scrap around the shop) aluminum angle glued to the alupanel. The glue is a two part acrylic adhesive made by Lord, similar product that's used by auto manufactures to attach body panels. The vertical corners I used .063" thick aluminum and aluminum pop rivets. The tray was then sealed with gutter sealer. The black tank just sits in the tray on top of four small wood blocks (to hold the right angle) and fiberglass insulation, around the sides I used 3/4" foam insulation. When the tank is in the tray the valve is outside of the tray, so any leaking will end up on the ground, this might not be a friendly design but it'll keep the tray clean.

Derek
Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

My black tank box was remade out of 1/8" thick aluminum diamondplate by a PO. It is a little heavy, but uber-durable. It was bent and welded at the corners and held up by the original angled steel brackets.
I read about someone who had one of the tanks that screws into the floor. When it exited the back of the Airstream on the highway they were too embarassed to go back and find it. Somewhere on highway 5 in so-cal is a free black tank and rear bellypan. Any takers?
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
portland , Oregon
hello,

Thank you everyone for such good information. I have a 1966 tradewind that the pan was missing. Does anyone have a dimensions & drawing of the pan (L, W, & H) . I need to take it to a fabricator to make one for me.

Thank you
steve
steverad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

It should be pretty straight-forward to measure for a new one if you have the tank still. It fits between the frame rails from side to side, with about 1/2" to spare, and it has to fit between the frame stringers from front to back with a little bit to spare here also. Depending on the tank, it's probably the height of the frame, like mine is. there should be room around the tank for heated air to circulate to keep your tank from freezing, and a hose from the heater to the tank.

Rich the Viking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of floor and frame 012.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	89650  
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote