Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Waste Setup with Mascerator/SmartTote; Home "Dump Station" Solution!

All -

After some research and great feedback on the forums, I think I have the outlines of what a sanitary and convenient waste management system might look like. I'm trying to do as much research as possible before defining the precise model I'm going to look for (as of ten minutes ago, a late 70's center bath Sovereign or Excella 500 with the larger gray and black water tanks and thicker frame). How does the following sound.

Start with a 12V mascerator pump fitted to the AS 3" dump. For one, it will allow me when boon-docking to keep a 27 gallon smart tote on the pull vehicle, connected by a 3" to garden hose cap adapter on the RV via female-to-female garden hose up to the tote, also fitted with an adapter. Then I can just pull up to the dump station (either on site or at the next pit stop) and gravity feed the tote via slinky into the sewer drop.

And here's the better part. The AS is going to sit in my backyard as a guest cottage/ play house. Power and garden hose for water is no problem of course, but what about the tanks and no permanent dump station on my property? So why not simply attach a dedicated 100' female to female garden hose to the macerator and run it to the toilet INSIDE the house? Either that or I might ask a plumber to install a simple male garden house tap to an existing sewer drop (I'm thinking the big 2" PVC line that runs from our washing machine to the main sewer). Keep a good cap on it, when needed screw on the female sewer hose end, then back to the RV, launch the mascerator, and voila! Empty tanks with no fuss or muss. Maybe attach the female sewer hose to the garden hose for a minute or so of fresh water flush, and we're good to go. Plus maybe find a male "plug" on the hose so there's not even a single stinky drop when hauling the garden hose in and out of the house.

When boon docking, this allows me to have 15-20 gallons each of black and gray tank in the A/S, plus the 27 gal tote. I can probably gopher hole some of the gray water to make it last even longer.

Thoughts?

Best

-Jim
Arlington, Virginia
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Yuk

Sounds like s*%!.
As far as bringing a waist hose into house. Not a good idea.
Most houses have a waist clean out (outside) the house. Located just outside the house, between the house on the septic tank or city sewer line. In my opinion that would be a better place for a Dump Station.
The whole idea just stinks
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Alas no Exterior Drain

Unfortunately we have no exterior drain. We did a few years ago before we built an addition over an old external stairwell that in fact did have a drain at the bottom, but that drain is now in what is our basement. I could empty the hose into that drain but it, too, requires dragging the hose inside. But I think the female to female hose with both ends firmly connected would be better "sealed" for waste flow.

Another option might be to just have a plumber run a 2" or so drain pipe to the driveway side of the house through the foundation wall, then create the drain with the garden hose adapter cap right on the driveway. It would cost a bit more, but it does mean no waste hoses dragged inside the house.

Best,
Jim
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote