Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Waste gates leak- Valterra or thetford?

One of the surprises we had was that the black tank leaks liquid past the gate.
Someone, possibly PO cut away some of the underbelly skin to expose the access for replacing the two gates. I was hoping that meant they were already replaced, but no joy, I get to do it next spring.

So research shows there are two brands, and since LaTortuga was born in '74, which ones will I need?
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Savage,

White = Thetford, black = Valterra. If not modified by a prior owner it should be Thetford.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage68 View Post
One of the surprises we had was that the black tank leaks liquid past the gate.
Someone, possibly PO cut away some of the underbelly skin to expose the access for replacing the two gates. I was hoping that meant they were already replaced, but no joy, I get to do it next spring.

So research shows there are two brands, and since LaTortuga was born in '74, which ones will I need?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, if it is white, it is Thetford. Some have said that they think that the Valterra are superior in some ways, but I can't recall why. The Valterra equipment is much cheaper and everyone carries it. The Thetford is harder to find and much more expensive. Rangtash Brothers in Missoula has and can get for you most any Thetford parts you want. Other dealers look blank when you ask for Thetford things.

If you are replacing you might consider converting to Valterra if it is not a huge additional job. That advice is based on availability and cost considerations only. My long experience with Thetford has been positive as far as how it works.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Before you replace, work a few tanks of water and mild detergent through and open/close the gate rigorously as it emptying. This fixed mine.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
You can also rebuild Thetford (and Valterra). It is a matter of replacing the rubber seals that the blade slides through. This is much easier than replacing the valves with the attendant pipes and plumbing to be done. Check with Inland or other AS parts folks for rebuild parts.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I was told by a Thetford tech last year that they are starting to phase out the gate valves.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Our 2005 Classic 30 came with a Thetford. Our 2008 Classic 34 came with a Valterra. Both were purchased new from a dealer.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
There is also this, which I never new existed but found on another site whilst looking for something else (as you do)
Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We thought about one of those, but it's a bit more complex because you have to get a Thetford to Valterra adapter in order to fit it on. For some models -- ours included -- space is limited, making the solution unworkable.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
There is also this, which I never new existed but found on another site whilst looking for something else (as you do)
Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia
I thought my valve was leaking too. I pulled it out and rebuilt it. It still leaked. Further inspection showed the leak was actually a crack beside the tank hole. Not the valve but beside it in the actual tank. Project was put on hold when we figured this out, about 2 months ago. I plan to try to plastic weld it to fix the problem. Or buy a new tank.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
bacnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My Thetford valve on the gray water tank was leaking on my 86 Limited. It also had the special Thetford bayonet connector that required special slinky hoses and caps. I found the Thetford sealing design was more complex than the Valterra.

I switched to Valterra valves and have been satisfied these last two years. No leaks, and I can use standard 3" slinky hoses and caps. It was a significant amount of work to drop the big tank cover pan. Airstream designed it this way to keep the tanks from freezing when used in cold weather, but it isn't the greatest for maintenance. The new Valterra valves are on top in the photo.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1205 New Valtera Plumbing.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	222896  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I do believe that the new trailers are all coming with Thetford.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
waste valve access

I have an '85 Excella. My grey water tank valve is leaking, so I want to replace both valves. Do I have to unbolt the entire waste tank shield, or cut out an opening big enough to replace the valves? If so, what tool cuts this best?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank valves.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	225667  
danjoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
thetford valve issues

Okay, I have tried to do some research here and so far it looks as though my '91 Excella 1000 has the Thetford design. So my problem is that the black water tank valve seems to be stuck slightly open so when I go to empty the tank I have to be very quick to connect hose or it drains that nasty stuff before I open the valve. Not a lot mind you but enough to be embarrassed and concerned.

Seems to me that there is a way to adjust the valve stem so it will not leak. I understand from other comments that perhaps the valve is partially stuck open and that pushing and pulling the valve while dumping might free it up.Not ready for the conversion or full on repair yet but will do it if all else fails. Problem we are on the road for the next 2-3 months and finding a place for this supposedly messy job is problematic.

Standing by for tips/advice.
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi silver burrito, welcome to Air Forums. You have a unique user name, I haven't heard that one before. Bullets, Twinkies, Weenies, Loafs, toasters, beer cans, etc., but not burritos. Fun.

Leaky dump valves on Airstreams are a problem. My 86 had Thetford valves that lasted many years until they started leaking. I replaced them with the Valterra brand. Chances are you have a torn seal, or something stuck in the sealing groove preventing the valve from closing that is causing the fluid to bypass.

You might try to do a through cleaning and rinsing of the black water tank just to see if you can get the valve cleaned out of anything jammed in there like toilet paper. I would ensure the tank is cleaned, then put on your dump port cap, then open the black tank valve, and then fill the black tank half full of water. Let it soak all night. Then take your trailer on a nice drive on a bumpy, curvy road to get some agitation of the water in the black tank and open valve. Finally, dump the black tank as usual on your way home. There is a small chance you could dislodge anything stuck in the valve.

I think you should put "replace dump valves" on your maintenance list, maybe toward the top of the list at that.

I know some folks put a third dump valve right on the discharge port where you hook up your slinky. This third valve remains closed until you get the sewer hose connected to it and then you can open your leaky black water valve and then the new third valve and not have any spillage. This would get you through the summer traveling season. Adding this third valve does make a protrusion hanging out there just ready to get ripped off by road debris.

I'll bet others on these Forums will have some ideas too.

David
Old 05-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
Thanks for reply to Leaky waste valves

Dave
I see you are from Conifer, Nice! Been though there a couple of times as it was just down the road from daughter's place in Evergreen. We even lived Silt Colorado for about 7 years.
Thanks for the advice, very practical. Right now I have an electrical issue that is taking precedent over valve problem but will try to get this all resolved soon. thanks
Gale
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Small world. We camped in Silt just two weeks ago. Our Airstream site was along the Colorado river. See photo. We enjoyed the rock sculpture at the main intersection of town, especially the naked rock climber. I guess the artist never did any rock climbing. We hiked a bit at the Rifle Falls State Park. It was very pretty. Yes, Evergreen is a wonderful town, and much larger than Conifer. But Conifer is nice enough too. We like it here.

Hope you get your leaky dump valve figured out. I just told my son that a major part of the enjoyment of owning an Airstream is solving the problems as they crop up, especially on the road. I remember taking my furnace out on a cold March morning to get the circuit board replaced, and back in before nightfall. Such enjoyment.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1605 Silt river 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	263636  
Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Burrito View Post
Okay, I have tried to do some research here and so far it looks as though my '91 Excella 1000 has the Thetford design. So my problem is that the black water tank valve seems to be stuck slightly open so when I go to empty the tank I have to be very quick to connect hose or it drains that nasty stuff before I open the valve. Not a lot mind you but enough to be embarrassed and concerned.

Seems to me that there is a way to adjust the valve stem so it will not leak. I understand from other comments that perhaps the valve is partially stuck open and that pushing and pulling the valve while dumping might free it up.Not ready for the conversion or full on repair yet but will do it if all else fails. Problem we are on the road for the next 2-3 months and finding a place for this supposedly messy job is problematic.

Standing by for tips/advice.
A twist on dump valve might get you home without having to do a valve replacement on the road.

Check out this video:
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The adapters for both of my valves were cracked and leaking. I jumped in feet first and did the repair myself. I put in new valves, adapters and PVC. The job took me 6 hrs or so because I was dragging this tool and that tool out. After doing it once and now having an access hole, I could probably do the job in 1-2 hours.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
1990 29' Excella
Woodstock , Georgia
RM, Hi, I'm new to the forum. I think I have roughly the same Airstream as you 86 34' Limited. Also having the same issue with the waste valves which need to be replaced. I was grateful to find your post on the issue. This is a stretch due to the time which has passed but do you have the valve part numbers you used as replacements ? Any info you might have would be appreciated. Thanks BCB
BC Banks is offline   Reply With Quote