Old 05-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi silver burrito, welcome to Air Forums. You have a unique user name, I haven't heard that one before. Bullets, Twinkies, Weenies, Loafs, toasters, beer cans, etc., but not burritos. Fun.

Leaky dump valves on Airstreams are a problem. My 86 had Thetford valves that lasted many years until they started leaking. I replaced them with the Valterra brand. Chances are you have a torn seal, or something stuck in the sealing groove preventing the valve from closing that is causing the fluid to bypass.

You might try to do a through cleaning and rinsing of the black water tank just to see if you can get the valve cleaned out of anything jammed in there like toilet paper. I would ensure the tank is cleaned, then put on your dump port cap, then open the black tank valve, and then fill the black tank half full of water. Let it soak all night. Then take your trailer on a nice drive on a bumpy, curvy road to get some agitation of the water in the black tank and open valve. Finally, dump the black tank as usual on your way home. There is a small chance you could dislodge anything stuck in the valve.

I think you should put "replace dump valves" on your maintenance list, maybe toward the top of the list at that.

I know some folks put a third dump valve right on the discharge port where you hook up your slinky. This third valve remains closed until you get the sewer hose connected to it and then you can open your leaky black water valve and then the new third valve and not have any spillage. This would get you through the summer traveling season. Adding this third valve does make a protrusion hanging out there just ready to get ripped off by road debris.

I'll bet others on these Forums will have some ideas too.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1991 34' Excella
Panacea , Florida
Thanks for reply to Leaky waste valves

I see you are from Conifer, Nice! Been though there a couple of times as it was just down the road from daughter's place in Evergreen. We even lived Silt Colorado for about 7 years.
Thanks for the advice, very practical. Right now I have an electrical issue that is taking precedent over valve problem but will try to get this all resolved soon. thanks

Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Small world. We camped in Silt just two weeks ago. Our Airstream site was along the Colorado river. See photo. We enjoyed the rock sculpture at the main intersection of town, especially the naked rock climber. I guess the artist never did any rock climbing. We hiked a bit at the Rifle Falls State Park. It was very pretty. Yes, Evergreen is a wonderful town, and much larger than Conifer. But Conifer is nice enough too. We like it here.

Hope you get your leaky dump valve figured out. I just told my son that a major part of the enjoyment of owning an Airstream is solving the problems as they crop up, especially on the road. I remember taking my furnace out on a cold March morning to get the circuit board replaced, and back in before nightfall. Such enjoyment.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1605 Silt river 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	263636  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Originally Posted by Silver Burrito View Post
Okay, I have tried to do some research here and so far it looks as though my '91 Excella 1000 has the Thetford design. So my problem is that the black water tank valve seems to be stuck slightly open so when I go to empty the tank I have to be very quick to connect hose or it drains that nasty stuff before I open the valve. Not a lot mind you but enough to be embarrassed and concerned.

Seems to me that there is a way to adjust the valve stem so it will not leak. I understand from other comments that perhaps the valve is partially stuck open and that pushing and pulling the valve while dumping might free it up.Not ready for the conversion or full on repair yet but will do it if all else fails. Problem we are on the road for the next 2-3 months and finding a place for this supposedly messy job is problematic.

Standing by for tips/advice.
A twist on dump valve might get you home without having to do a valve replacement on the road.

Check out this video:
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The adapters for both of my valves were cracked and leaking. I jumped in feet first and did the repair myself. I put in new valves, adapters and PVC. The job took me 6 hrs or so because I was dragging this tool and that tool out. After doing it once and now having an access hole, I could probably do the job in 1-2 hours.

CRH is offline   Reply With Quote