Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
DeWitt , Michigan
Waste dump help?

OK...we are new to Airstreams and Vintage Airstreams to boot! But we have a 1961 Overlander and after finding the tub still intact under a sleeping platform, we discovered water still in the tub drain. We now wondered what other treasures we might find...

We found what appears to be a release for the dump but do not how know to get it to dump (very difficult to put in words - so my husband has me posting....). Here is the picture of what we think we need to use...

We don't know if we have the right location....HELP!
Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC03566.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	225107  

Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Waste dump help?

The waste dump valve will have a TEE handle.
Typically they are near the rear of the coach. Unless your coach has been modified. There is only a "black water" tank. In most cases the toilet dumps directly into the black water tank. The tank will have a 3" discharge line with a dump valve. The typical dump outlet is located on the street side or under the coach. It's where you connect the sewer hose when emptying the tank.
You will not have a "grey water" tank. Which means you have little or no grey water storage. A couple of gallons would cause water to back into the shower. In the older trailers the grey water pipe was tied into the sewer piping downstream from the black water dump valve. Most use 2" pipes.
There may be a cap on the sewer outlet preventing the grey water from just running out on the ground.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
DeWitt , Michigan
That helps, but here is where we are lost. The T-handle was pulled out (we tapped it in with a hammer) so we thought the tank would be empty. However, when we pulled out the sleeping platform over the shower tub we can see water down in the drain. Shouldn't this have drained out since the T-handle was pulled out?

How do we flush this old (stinky) water out?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You can[t remove it fast enough to not get any on ya...

So, wear rubber boot, stick your arms inside large garbage bags and deflect away from your face.

Oh.. and 'dump' safely... might be a good idea to take it to a RV store..they might do that..and dispose of contents.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The water you see in the drain is what is held in the "P" trap. You need water in the P trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the coach when connected to a sewer.
You want water in all P traps at all times.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 10-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I don't know your trailer's history. I figured it was in storage. But I recommend you focus some attention to getting all the water out of your trailer before it freezes. Buy a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze and pour a cup down that shower trap, down the sink traps (if you still have them) and down the toilet. The antifreeze will keep the water from freezing and thus expanding. Also pour a little in your fresh water tank. If you have a water pump that works, you gotta get antifreeze into that and thus into all the plumbing lines in your trailer if you still have any.

I can't remember if you purchased your trailer sans plumbing, sinks and faucets.

David
Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
DeWitt , Michigan
Thanks!

We have the anti-freeze ready!! Is RV antifreeze different from regular anti-freeze?

We have plumbing... or most of it... It may sans plumbing soon... we don't think the plumbing has been used for 15+ years or by the last owner and/or the previous owner.... YIKES!

We ran some water through today...and discovered a leak (water came from the bottom of the shower area (an access panel in the belly pan) and not the main dump... but some water did exit through the main drain too!?

Good overall?! I think...
Work in progress... Cleaned and started to learn how to polish today. WOW!!! what a difference. We did a lot of reading here before starting...
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Pline View Post
OK...we are new to Airstreams and Vintage Airstreams to boot! But we have a 1961 Overlander and after finding the tub still intact under a sleeping platform, we discovered water still in the tub drain. We now wondered what other treasures we might find...

We found what appears to be a release for the dump but do not how know to get it to dump (very difficult to put in words - so my husband has me posting....). Here is the picture of what we think we need to use...

We don't know if we have the right location....HELP!
Thanks...
Welcome to the forums!

Sewage holding tanks were a new thing around 1960; prior to that time trailers didn't have them. Toilets and drains were "dump to daylight"--everything just went out the sewer fitting. You either camped at a full-hookup trailer park with a sewer connection or you dug a "gopher hole" for sewage to drain into.

When they started putting holding tanks in Airstreams they started with a blackwater tank for the toilet only. This was equipped with a dump valve. Graywater from sinks and shower came into the sewer line through a tee fitting below the dump valve. So you could leave the dump valve closed and let the graywater drain on the ground, which was the usual practice in those days.

If you have the same dump valve setup that we had in the 1960 Pacer, you will find it does not conform to modern standards. The valve was a brass wedge-gate valve modified to work by pushing and pulling the T-handle rather than turning a threaded valve stem. The sewage outlet (also brass) was smaller than the current standard, about 2 1/2" diameter as I recall.

You will have some work to do to make it usable. In the case of our Pacer, I found that the outside diameter of the sewage outlet was about right to slip into the inside diameter of a male Thetford fitting (used on newer Airstreams) so I mounted the Thetford fitting on the outlet with screws and pipe sealant. That allowed us to use a standard dump hose.

The old brass wedge-gate dump valve had been damaged by freezing by the time we got the trailer but I was able to fix it and it worked fine for the rest of the time we had the trailer.

If you think you have the same kind of dump valve we had in the '60 Pacer, let me know and I will post some pictures and details on fixing it. (But I have never seen another one like it. )
Old 10-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
RV anti freeze is designed to use in "potable", or safe drinking water systems. It is the ONLY antifreeze you use in your trailer. Automotive antifreeze is poisonous.

It sounds like you can add "re-plumb fresh water and drains" to your list of things to do. Many Airstreamers have been surprised by the damage freezing can do. Broken toilet valve, broken faucet, broken P trap, broken pipes are some of the surprises we find in the spring the day before we are leaving on vacation.

David
Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
try a search for 'winterizing'... there are tons of data to learn..

Basically, you either 'blow out' the water lines with low pressure compressed air and pour some RV antifreeze in the P traps and holding tanks. You can even put the RV stuff in your water tank.. as a freeze could certainly rupture it..

I can attest that getting all the 'smell' of the RV antifreeze out of the lines can prove challenging..and although it is not poisonous, I really do not need to drink contaminated water... the Metro stuff is icky enough...

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote