Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
What I still don't understand is how could you see the slide valve to use a coat hanger and clean it. The only access I see is by taking the toilet out but even then the flange does not appear to be close enough to the dump valve to be able to see what I am doing. It looks to me like the PVC Y that goes into the adapter on the outside surface of the dump valve would have to be removed, if it is not glued into the Thetford valve, then I could possibly see, although there is a sheet metal or aluminum divider with a round hole that the pvc goes through to connect to the dump valve.

My dump valve appears to line up with two additional holes in the metal divider that a screwdriver or wrench would go through to unhood the valve from the tank for removal, but the pvc has to come out first.

Do you have any photos of yours to show how you accessed it with a coat hanger?
rhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Rhanson, if there are no bends or elbows betweeen the valve and the drain hole you may be able to see the dump valve with a flashlight. Look directly into the bottom of the drain while opening and closing the drain and you should be able to see it. Just make sure the tank is empty.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I agree with Lumatic. I used the coat hanger from the end of the drain, where the hose connects. When you look up the end of the drain you will see a hole between the valve and the end of the drain. The hole is where the gray water exits and is below the valve. Shortly after the hole, on my trailer, is the valve.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the responses. I guess the drain layout on your trailer must be different than mine. The 3" pvc Y is actually more like a sanitary T- it makes a 90 degree curve from the valve to where it comes through the bumber on the side. That is why I mentioned having to take it off to access the valve. I can't even see where the 3" pvc connects into the valve because the 3" pipe goes through a metal wall/divider blocking access and visibility to even work on the Thetford valve. It appears that the valve was installed as the trailer was being built preventing any access at this point. I think I have to dismantle the bumper and back end just to get to it.
rhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Update... I was thinking about this old thread and wanted to update subscribers. The leak, in fact, had nothing to do with the valve. Early on, we did not realize that our 1970 had no grey tank, so the "trickle" was the grey water flowing out since there was no cap! (Almost embarrased to admit this). We removed the "k-mart" modification and added a new cap with a small hose fitting on it, and now use a blue boy with a short hose connection to collect the grey water. All works great! It's amazing the things you discover over the years as a vintage Airstream owner. So many times I feel so silly because most things we think are real problems end up being simple things that we should have figured out earlier.

MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post
Update... I was thinking about this old thread and wanted to update subscribers. The leak, in fact, had nothing to do with the valve. Early on, we did not realize that our 1970 had no grey tank, so the "trickle" was the grey water flowing out since there was no cap! (Almost embarrased to admit this). We removed the "k-mart" modification and added a new cap with a small hose fitting on it, and now use a blue boy with a short hose connection to collect the grey water. All works great! It's amazing the things you discover over the years as a vintage Airstream owner. So many times I feel so silly because most things we think are real problems end up being simple things that we should have figured out earlier.

We are all guilty of the traial and error routine.

Then afterwards, we ask someone how has been there and done that, and as a final last resort and out reach, we read the instructions.

So, don't feel bad, just join the rest of the group, who have owned up to the innocents.

Just laugh a little and continue enjoying Airstreaming, and all of it's wondrous moments.

But, just in case, take the instructions with you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote