Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In response to the discussion on mounting, I decided to go Old School. I framed the bottoms of both the bays aft of the axle with 1 1/4" angle and then made a removable double angle to support the long edges of the tanks between the two of them, and another removeable angle to the aft of the whole business. I'll post a pic when I have it assembled. My shell is currently off, and the frame is upside down, so working on the underside is pretty painless. I want to get as much as I can done before turning it back over. Had to slide underneath the other day to drill some holes up through the floor, and I was thanking my lucky stars I could work the bottom from aboveinstead of slithering around underneath.

Anyway, I have a couple pieces of 1" thick marine grade plywood that will slide into the 1 1/4" frames mentioned above. These will support the grey tanks just like the fresh water tank is supported in the original design. It seems a little clunky, and probably unnecessarily heavy, but I am rationalizing based on the following:
1) I fully intend to take this trailer down many dirty, rocky, dark winding roads late at night, so want the tanks completely armored from anything that might bounce up off the road.
2) The VTS tanks look to be rotomolded just like the old original Inca Plastics tanks were. When looking at Inca Plastics site, I found some words of warning specifying that the tanks need to be fully supported from below (ie., not a couple of straps running across them). I had a buddy with an SOB trailer that had the grey tank held in with straps, and it essentially bent around the straps until it was hanging down almost to the street. Not pretty.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have pea traps but the vent for the shower and sinks is in line before my tanks so it vents there. If yours went then you will need a vent from your tank.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All the gray water drains, have a "P" trap.

Air cannot go thru the "P" traps unlass there is weight or pressure behind it.

Pressure can and will build in any gray water tank, and that's why they must be vented. If not, the odor will backup thru a sink or tub "P" trap.

Not very pleasant.

Andy
Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
As promised, my two VTS tanks arrived today. The spin-welded fittings are right where I requested them to be, so if things don't fit right, I have nobody to blame but myself. The drain that is by default at the midpoint of one of the long sides on each tank is not flush with the bottom (as expected), and leaves nearly 1/2" of water in the bottom of the tank is all is level. I expect that if I tip the trailer back a bit, I can get most of the water to drain. Fortunately, it looks like the ultimate drain for the aft tank, which was a custom placement, is actually closer to the bottom of the tank, so I ought to be able to get a pretty good drain.

The tanks are fairly thin. This isn't meant to be a criticism, just an observation. I have read and heard about people that support these tanks with straps or similar discontinuous supports, but I am even more comfortable with my plan to support the entire tank. I'll post a picture of the tanks in place shortly.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I used 3 2" straps on my 32 gallon grey tank, and it never moved. But this time around I am building some brackets out of angel iron to support the long way with support between them and the tank going across. kind of what your doing but i don't want wood on the bottom to maybe rot out over the years. Post some pics when you have them in, it would be good to see them.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
I didn't read all these replies in great detail, but we're starting to install our black/gray tank, shower pan & sink with Hevpo waterless traps. I'll be posting progress pics in the next week or so. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Hepvo Waterless Valve Used instead of a p-trap to save vertical space.

Sorry, I originally spelled it wrong. :-/