Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
vent pipe filters

When I turn on my back ceiling fan to blow in, it draws odor out of the vent pipe filter for my tanks and blows it into my rig -- bleh! Has anyone found a good activated charcoal or other vent pipe filter that solves this problem? I talked to the guy at Odorhog, but he says his filters quite specifically DO NOT work well with Airstreams.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Not surprised no response.... With that "problem" I add deodorant/enzyme to hasten breakup.... RidX now makes one that seems to work well and is cheaper than the "regular" product...

So far no "problem" for us...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Open a window. You are creating a negative atmosphere. Without a way to replace the air forced out. It draws it thru the sewer vent.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh...
I forgot...
Each flush must have sufficient volume to "push" into the tank... That will push a column of air up the "vent" pipe and keeping ng the stink in the tank... Shut the toilet hatch as soon as the water clears the valve....don't just keep your foot on the lever..keeping the valve open...

Also, turn off the fan for the duration of the flush.. Won't pull in much at all if technique above used.

Happy flushing!!!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You guys are missing OP's problem. She has her fan set to pull air INTO the AS, not exhausting air out of the AS. She is pulling fumes from the top of the stack into the living area.

I fear that the location of your stack to the FF is such that the only cure is dependent on wind direction and speed. Do you have two FFs and are both reversible? You may have no choice but to modify the fan(s) to blow out (the one close to the stack) and the other one to blow in.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You guys are missing OP's problem. She has her fan set to pull air INTO the AS, not exhausting air out of the AS. She is pulling fumes from the top of the stack into the living area.

I fear that the location of your stack to the FF is such that the only cure is dependent on wind direction and speed. Do you have two FFs and are both reversible? You may have no choice but to modify the fan(s) to blow out (the one close to the stack) and the other one to blow in.
Oops... Sorry for that.... Thanks DZ!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I installed a charcoal in line vent filter on my last trailer in the black tank vent line. I think it was from Sealand marine and about $45 or so. Replace once a year or so
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Once in a while I have the same issue. I just switch the fan to exhaust.