Old 04-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Next year do not leave the tank valve open all the time. Discharge the tank only when it has built up sufficient volume to keep the stuff in suspension. You also might try to use one of those 90 degree bend flusher extensions on the garden hose once in a while (when you have a couple nice days during the winter) to stir up the tank before you drain it.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Hello -

We have a 2005 28' CCD and foound some construction debris that was jamming up our black water tank. Here are my two cents...

Go to the auto parts store and get yourself an inspection mirror - telescoping.
Then get a powerful flashlight - 3 D Maglite.

Put the mirror in the toilet with the valve open and shine the light either down the toliet hole or in through the black water dump valve. This should show you exactly what your problem is and then you can pick the appropriate solution from all of the above posts.

One thing we learned VERY quickly from tent camping, taking my Scout Troop camping, backpacking and now Streaming - a bad experience in the loo will ruin your trip. Also, you'll develop a tolerance for all things connected with poo!

Best of Luck!

Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #17

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
glad to see you flushed out the problem....

so, where are you parked? I see your profile says "Boston"...not many campgrounds in the city, at least, of which I am aware.

We're having our first wbcci rally of the season in just 3 weeks at Salisbury beach. come on up and see us! we're a fun group.
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Jamaica Plain , Massachusetts
overlander63, I learned about the hazards of the black hills and how to avoid them.

steelbird312, your technique sounds a bit dangerous, but I bet it works. I'll keep this in my bag-of-tricks for next time.

Darol and 2airishuman, thanks for the after-care suggestions.

Thanks again everyone!
Simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Jamaica Plain , Massachusetts
Sorry, I'm just now noticing the second page of replies. Thanks for the additional info dwightdi and szy8xj.

Chuck, it seems I'm still in some denial that I'm not living in downtown Boston anymore. I'm living in a trailer park in Westborough for the winter, which is almost an hour west of Boston. I'd like to find a place closer to the city and preferably a bit more scenic for the summer. I won't be able to make the Salisbury rally, but I'll definitely be hitting one soon.
Simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
2 air,, too funny!!!!!! have found that a small amount of dishwashing liquid and a bag of ice ,, and pouring dishwater into the commode helps to maintain regularity also,,, keeping a good mix of liquids and solids keeps the slinky smilin,,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fall River , Massachusetts
Arrow digest

I had the same problem a couple of years back. I purchased some black tank additive that is called Digest. I put half the bottle in the tank and let it set overnight with the black tank value open. The next morning the tank had cleared and I have not had any problems since.
You may have to search the internet to find a place that sells this additive.
johntavares1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fall River , Massachusetts
Wink Unique rv digest

I search and found the correct name of the black tank additive. It is Unique RV Digest and there is a web site you can look at for more information.
johntavares1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Oh, what a relief it is...when the black tank flows So glad to hear the plug has been pulled and you stayed dry. What a story!~G
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #24
. , .
time for a spring enema? or air'nema...

i occasionally (over the years) get pms or thanks from folks who happen onto this thread...

and TRY the suggestions in post #6 above, with SUCCESS.

just as the OP reported in post #10 above.

started in march/07, perhaps THIS has become a new SPRING ritual

for getting the beast back on a regular schedule

(please don't hide easter eggs IN the tank OR OUTflowing pipes...)

just this month 3 members have sent notes/thanks, having TRIED this approach to BTC*

it seems perhaps after a long winter parked or without use, the ol' black tanks are a bit sluggish, thickened or jammed.

the best cure for BTC is to get camping!

but for any1 who's spring season begins with a blockage...

buy gloves, get some highwater boots, goggles, a mask, and grab an old section of garden hose....

the garden hose enema (as one member labeled this thread) may get yer trailer GOING again...

folks who NEED this help and get it seem reluctant to actually BUMP this thread...

*black tank constipation....
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
Oh yes, I bumped it. I did so because this is some extremely useful information to a noob in need.

I did the situational comedy ritual called "my first flush" yesterday, and it began with the "Pull black tank valve, wait ten seconds, watch two drops of sewage drip out" routine. The PO had completely stuffed the tank and the trailer had been sitting for who-knows how long like that. To make a short story of it, I basically went down the list of suggestions here above to conquer my black mountain. The ice cube method did it in the end.

Here's what I can add to all of the above: I began using the Sewer Solution kit. It seems to work well for non-clogged tanks, but the velocity of the flush seems too low to really get things moving inside a clogged tank. After driving round the block with ice cubes for the second time, I flushed it all down in one fell swoop via the factory 3" slinky and finally found that "ahhh relief."

But after this initial breakthrough, both my tanks still read as 1/3 full. Is this some sort of instrument idiosyncrasy, or can there be more serious reasons for this? My plan is to start using the plumbing system and run a few tanks through it to get a feel for it. Thanks for the info guys!
godaddy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
When we purchased our AS in August, it had been parked in a campground for six years. The PO told us he had it pumped out whenever it needed to be by a company hired by the campground.

When we got her home I discovered we had more than half a tank of black water and a mound of solids immediately below the toilet. No extra charge for that little bit of bonus material....

After replacing the tires and in preparation for winter storage, I filled the remainder of the black water tank and towed the AS about twenty miles to a state park with a dump station. (They charge a fee of $3 which is pretty reasonable, free if you are camping there)

Rubber gloves, goggles, new hose and adaptor, all set, open the valve and maybe 2 gallons runs out, then a couple plops and nothing, not even a trickle. But the first plop did include a handiwipe...not a good sign. After an hour of trying several different things none of which were successful, we packed her up and headed back home.

It would seem that pumping the black water tank "whenever it needed it" without filling it with water and rinsing it at least once, did nothing to remove the settled solids. That, combined with an indiscrimate deposit of unsuitable materials has left us with a constipated AS.

Before putting her away for the winter I put in some enzymes and bacteria, along with some anti freeze that I hope didn't kill the bacteria. Guess we'll find out in the spring if it works. ( going to try the rubber hose enema process)

My plan is to drain as much as possible and hopefully get a reasonable flow, then add ice and take her for a ride, dump and repeat. Then flush two or three times using a hose mounted rotating sprayer that I bought.

Plan B: If it won't drain at all, I'll tear apart the drain valve. Hopefully it won't get to Plan B.

I'll let you all know what happens in a couple months. I keep hoping it will be like the old Alka Selzer jingle, "plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is".
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #27

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think your plan sounds good, Lew.

I have too many puns aching to get out so I'd better close.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

and yer black tank should only be drained when full and especially if you are parked long term....

you may think 'always open' has worked 'fine' until now, but it takes time to build a cherry mash!
What if parked long term at a campground in the winter and the trailer is used on weekends? What should be done in circumstances when the temps are freezing, but the blank tank isn't full?

KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote