Old 10-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
My gray water comes down a pipe and is now hooked up to the septic system at the park. Both the gray water and black tank join together at the outlet of the trailer for drainage into the septic system. A pull out valve lets me empty the black tank. If the valve is closed to the black tank and the tank got full, isn't that what backed up in my shower? It sure looked like dark water...

Carol

Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I ran into the toilet paper clog this weekend when we went camping. I went to dump and nothing would come out. When I got home I found a spot to park and dug a hole. I put ten gallons of water on top of the existing amount of liquids. I tried again to dump and nothing would come out. I took a pex pipe and worked it up the dump valve and was able to get the clog out.

My son used the trailer this past summer with his friends and not all the folks got the message of what you can and can't flush in the toilet. I had a bunch of hand wipes and scott paper towls come out of the dump valve. I got the problem fixed and I think I will take the suggestion of putting water and ice in the tank when I pull it next time.

Brian

Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I ran into the toilet paper clog this weekend when we went camping. I went to dump and nothing would come out. When I got home I found a spot to park and dug a hole. I put ten gallons of water on top of the existing amount of liquids. I tried again to dump and nothing would come out. I took a pex pipe and worked it up the dump valve and was able to get the clog out.

My son used the trailer this past summer with his friends and not all the folks got the message of what you can and can't flush in the toilet. I had a bunch of hand wipes and scott paper towls come out of the dump valve. I got the problem fixed and I think I will take the suggestion of putting water and ice in the tank when I pull it next time.

Brian
Yep! That's what happens when you let others use your trailer. I can only guess that it was my cute as a button little great nephew who flushed a matchbox racer down the tank. No one knew. It didn't cause any clogs. I'd probably drained the black tank a dozen times since they'd visited. Then one day when I was getting ready to finish off the black tank I looked through the clear Sewer Solution and said "What the heck!?" The backflow blasted it pretty clean... clean enough to pull out of the pipe and throw into the trash. I'm just glad it was small enough to go through the exit pipe.

Paula
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
There are two things you muct do to prevent toilet paper clogs:

1. Add a couple of gallons of water to the black water tank after you finish emptying the tank.

2. Use a toilet paper that will fall apart after a few minutes in water. You do not have to use RV toilet paper. To test potential toilet papers, place a sheet in a quart of water, wait a few minuets then shake. If the paper falls apart it is perfectly good for the black water tank. We use Scotts.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Full-Timer's Secret

Having full-timed in a 37' fifth wheel from 2003 to 2007 and then our 98 Airstream 34' from 2007 to 2010, we made a habit of never ever putting solids (you know what I mean) down the black tank. We took a short walk to the RV Park's public toilet to do number 2.

Recognize that our rig was mostly parked stationary for months at a time and having heard the horror stories of others, we did not want to repeat them on our watch, in our black tank.

This approach has worked out well for us. You may not enjoy the trip, but to us, it's not much different than walking to the RV Park Laundromat.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote