Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Talking Toilet paper and other things

OK I did some research here on the forums about toilet tissue.

Now since a great deal of my job duties at work require me to be #1 in the #2 business, I though I would share some observations from the campground operations side of things regarding the #2 business, Holding tanks and were does it go?

OK Most folks on this forum realize the Expensive RV toilet tissue is really no better than some of the standard single ply tissue you buy for the home septic system. If you compare by putting tissue in a mason jar and shaking it up you will find that home tissue actually breaks down better than some RV tissue and is much less money$$$$. Having the paper break down is important for the treatment process of wastes. Where I work, we have grinder sewer pumps, lagoons and treatment ponds that digest the wastes before settling, final chlorination, and dispersment.

Toilet chemicals that contain formaldehydes are hard on these systems, especially at small campgrounds that use either septic tanks or lagoons to treat there wastes, this chemical actually kills the bacteria that helps to break the waste down (please use non-formaldyhide chemicals).

Personal wipes (Or baby wipes) are a real problem. These thick paper towels do not break down and some contain heavy fibers that clog the sewer system and pump motors. These wipes can also clog your holding tank and get stuck in the dump valves (yes I have seen this happen ) Put these in the trash can along with diapers and other hygiene products that do not break down in water (you know what they are )

Some of the things I have found in the sewer system have been batteries, rocks, underwear, beer cans, sewer hoses ( please if you lose this down the sewer line let someone know immediately the wire inside the sewer hose will destroy a pump in a few minutes and is terrible to remove) golf balls, matchbox cars, bras, forks, wine glasses, sticks, lipstick, shampoo bottles, rope, fishing line, mayonnaise lids, bottles, towels, soap dishes, cameras, diapers, coins and action figures, to name just a few.

Help the campgrounds and spread the word about what goes down the drain other than the turd, folks who are new to camping may not be aware of just what you should not flush down there.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Holy crap! <pun intended>
I never knew all of the stuff that people must put in the sewers!
I have grown up with a spetic system at home. In the suburbs that is a rarity. I know that, with a septic system, you reap what you sow.
Thanks for all of the valuable information on TP!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
OK I did some research here on the forums about toilet tissue.
(snip)

Some of the things I have found in the sewer system have been batteries, rocks, underwear, beer cans, sewer hoses ( please if you lose this down the sewer line let someone know immediately the wire inside the sewer hose will destroy a pump in a few minutes and is terrible to remove) golf balls, matchbox cars, bras, forks, wine glasses, sticks, lipstick, shampoo bottles, rope, fishing line, mayonnaise lids, bottles, towels, soap dishes, cameras, diapers, coins and action figures, to name just a few.
(snip)
Yeah, there was a condom in one of our septic tanks for the longest time. Damn thing had a little air in it and kept it floating. Blech.

Lynn
Old 06-04-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Quote:
Now since a great deal of my job duties at work require me to be #1 in the #2 business,

So that explains what the campcollector collects!

Quote:
(Personal Wipes)....Put these in the trash can along with diapers and other hygiene products that do not break down in water (you know what they are )

Help the campgrounds and spread the word about what goes down the drain other than the turd, folks who are new to camping may not be aware of just what you should not flush down there.
I gotta be tickled that either political correctness or shyness limits the use of the term tampon or sanitary napkin, but the word turd passes with no strain. .
Of course I'm still jolted when I hear the term Pi$$ed-Off so often used.

But thanks campcollector for broaching a subject that we all must face, but few want to admit to.
Also I hope you soon get a promotion away from the pump cleaning shop.

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
My self beng obsessed with all things poop and tinkle, this is most valuable and interesting info.

I use these inpossible-to-open foil packets of blue powder stuff in our black tank, mixed with a gaallon or so of water upon arrival to a campground. I think it is campa chem, or something like that. It has a real floral scent. I am wondering whether this has formaldahyde.

I suppose the other ??? is whether you need chemical at all? Without the powdered chemical stuff, would our AS be stinkier?

Jonathan
Old 06-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We use the chemical stuff, but I do use the stuff that contains no formaldehydes and am cognative of protecting the systems that most campgrounds use. I'm not as much concerned about the smelly that the additive has in it. My focus is on the other goodies in the stuff that is touted to lube the dump valves and help break down the solids. Nothing is worse than to get a sticking dump valve.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Exclamation It comes back to Poo

Well it is inevatable in my line of work and for those who own RV's Poo happens . Poo+water+power = FSC.

Its just funny how there are more and more products advertised on TV that emphasise the ease of flusher down. Those little disposable toilet scrubbers for instance! I wonder how long those hang around.

I was trying to be discrete about the Tampons and condems in the sewer system, there are alot, and they do not break down .

I have not had the black tank odor problem yet, since the toilet is sealed and only open to the gases upon flushing. ( not to say there are no gas problems in the bathroom )

Trivia question: What is the only recognizable vegetable that makes it through the sewer system without readily breaking down?

Corn!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Angry What goes around, comes around!

Quote:

Trivia question: What is the only recognizable vegetable that makes it through the sewer system without readily breaking down? Corn!
I would also venture a guess that tomato skins are a tad bit difficult to breakdown–but then again, I've never really wanted to verify!

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
A thought - Helpful?, you decide

Got a FlushKing on a strong recommendtion from a forum Friend - Thanks Dave!

The FK works GREAT and allows you to see you wretched refuse go by- you get to wave at it goes to it demise! Seeing what is being discussed might get diffinative answers to the questions being bought up.

Just a thought. Sometimes seeing is believing!

Remember, this isn't gross! - unless you let it be that for you. I want to know that my tanks are clean and this gets that job done in on time flat. Then you are on your happy way KNOWING that all is good in the tanks. Piece of mind - priceless!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Trivia question: What is the only recognizable vegetable that makes it through the sewer system without readily breaking down?

Corn........
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J

Corn........
There is one other, that I am aware of- Tomato seeds. Every year we used to have a bumper crop of tomato plants at the "after" end of the sewer plant in our town...
Old 06-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
There is one other, that I am aware of- Tomato seeds. Every year we used to have a bumper crop of tomato plants at the "after" end of the sewer plant in our town...
PLEASE!!!!! I'm trying to finsih my breakfast----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Well that just about touches on any possible question I might have had when I opened up this forum......
yochanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J

Corn........
A woman was having her friends over for a weekly bridge game, when her husband James interrupted the game, shouting urgently form the back of the house, "Lilly get in here now!"

She apologized and went to find her husband -- in the bathroom studying the contents of the bowl carefully. He said, "Look at that, we haven't had corn in weeks, we haven't eaten out... now where the hell did that come from." She immediately lost patience, flushed it and returned to the game. When she sat down, her friends asked, "What was that all about?"

She responded, "Jimmy crapped corn and I don't care..."

T.L.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Tp

It's nice to know that cheap toilet paper is another way to avoid being overcharged for everyday items that contain the words or are listed under the title - Recreational Vehicle.

I love a good bargain ! Thanks for the tip.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Whoever thought I'd be using up kitchen-counter space at home for toilet paper degradation, science experiments.

I'm becoming one of them.....
yochanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I've been using "offbrand" single ply toilet tissue in the RV for years. I figured that I was supposed to be "roughing it" when camping anyway......

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
We sure do cover it all on these forums...............
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It's pretty nice to have people in the know on this forum who can give us the poop on this......well, poop.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Leaky Black water Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
My focus is on the other goodies in the stuff that is touted to lube the dump valves and help break down the solids. Nothing is worse than to get a sticking dump valve.

Jack
A question for the group. How do you fix a sticking/leaking dump valve? As Jack alluded to in his thread, our black water tank has a leak which presents a REAL messy problem when arriving at the dump station. As you can surmise, the cap on our drain keeps the liquids in, but when you remove the cap there is a.....well you know.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote