Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Hi everyone, looks like this might be the right place for this question.....

71 Airstream, no grey tank. black water tank missing. If I want to park it and live in it, do I have to use the blue tank for grey water and sewer? Or can you bypass the grey onto the ground (biodegradable of course) and use the blue tank only for sewer? Any idea about how often the blue tank will need to be emptied for one person? Please help. Thanks!

Jenny
State and local regs dictate the method by which you may release waste to the environment. My '74 owner's manual has detailed description for digging a gopher hole. Times have changed.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Couldn't resist "piling on" to this thread. "Bottom" line is if one used this device you wouldn't even have to worry about flushing.

http://www.bumperdumper.com/
Thats a popular item!

I've understand that mounting a hitch on the back of an AS for bikes isn't a good idea... but maybe for this Bumper Dumper it would be fine in case the black water tank is overflowing... oh.. as long as you don't sit on it too long
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #43
_

. , .
another variation on the bumper dumper....

but can be used inside nicely...

keep in mind, if your running gear isn't balance, she will spill.

cheer
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new toilet design.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	29242  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Hi everyone, looks like this might be the right place for this question.....

71 Airstream, no grey tank. black water tank missing. If I want to park it and live in it, do I have to use the blue tank for grey water and sewer? Or can you bypass the grey onto the ground (biodegradable of course) and use the blue tank only for sewer? Any idea about how often the blue tank will need to be emptied for one person? Please help. Thanks!Jenny
I'm assuming no sewer hook-ups. Yes, you'll need a blue tank for grey/black water if yours is missing. Not too many CGs will allow grey water dumping. How often the blue tank needs dumping has a lot of variables - Mainly size of blue tank, how conservative you are with water.

Did I hear you're selling your trailer?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 AM   #45
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Dave-

What are you doing up so early? Actually it is now illegal in many states to dump gray water! One of the items coming out of Perry for the International is that you can dump gray there. Bring boots everyone!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
That was good info

It is interesting that I came across this particular thread. Campcollector put out some good information. As the reading went on in the thread every thing from toilet paper to chemicals was mentioned. Being that I am a Waste Water Regulator, some of my work deals with the haulers (honey dippers) and the camp grounds owners. I found this thread very interesting (who else but a plummer would!).

What goes down the toilet is not as much of a concern if the waste is hauled to a Treatment plant. Most modern toilet papers are made to come apart quite easily and settle in a tank. Paper towels and the like may hang up in your hose and should not be flushed. If that happens well, depending on the sophisication of the collection system--the debris could hang up in your tank/hose or the campground plumbing as well. If the camp ground is using a holding tank, I would'nt be terribly concerned about it floating in the tank. Some campgrounds and/or haulers still field spread septage, more and more of them now haul the wastes to a treatment facility. The Waste Water Treatment faciltiy will take care of any debris in the collection tank. They find everything--litteraly! Condoms and clothing and toys abound, body parts are rare but not unkown.

If the waste is actually going into a septic tank and a seepage system then paper towels, tampons, rubber ducks and so forth get a bit more critical. Newer systems have basket screens that catch most of the large debris. But the "unflushables" can be a problem.

If you have a concern about chemicals, just check the labeling. Most are reasonably well researched and can state that they do not damage seepage beds. As for the antifreeze and paper towels that did get through...The Treatment Facility...they can handle most things. Field spread wastes are another story. Generally those wastes are treated with lime and a few haulers inject septic waste, some chemicals may stay toxic.

Do not use formaldehyde for anything. It is a somewhat dangerous substance that no longer has a real use in an RV

As an aside: One of the Portable Toilet outfits in my area just inquired about using alcohol as a anti freeze to replace a less desireable treatment.

As soon as I get my AS plumbing job done I will have to test a theory about recycled alcohol helping to clean out the waste tank better; I'll know more after a few years of research. Maybe some of you can try it. If your spouse complains just mention it is for research and later on try to remember what the original alcohol source was and which of the many original sources do the best job. This may take decades of research.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote