Old 06-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
This has turned into quite an amusing thread. Thank you everyone!

DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Has anyone tried an old Sears catalog?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
The Sears catalog is good for finishing but grey water soaked corn cobs are best for the initial brush and they flow or crunch in the mascerator. The Sears catalog is for the city folks.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Before there were corn cobs (they only showed up after the Europeans rediscovered America), there were leaves and, yes, fingers. Santitation was not too good in Europe and understanding of what was "dirty" was not all that clear. The Arabs only used their left hands for that purpose and ate with their right hands.

Lots of water, as Jack said, is a good thing. For years now I have been trying to figure just how much water to use backflushing, but that depends how much water pressure there is. I could run inside and check the tank monitor, but it is usually wrong, why bother? I suppose there is an inline meter available to tell me how much water passes through the backflush hose, but that seems like getting into OCD territory. If there is high pressure and I backflush for 4 minutes, I may have a waterfall down the side of the trailer—the water will back up the soil stack (vent) and down the side (it does test the toilet flapper seal to see if it is watertight). This is the kind of thing that causes you to first look around to see if anyone noticed, then you turn off the water.

I find that 2-2 1/2 minutes will get plenty of water in the tank, but 30 seconds will get a lot of stuff out too. I may start with 2 minutes and then do it for 30 seconds several times and finish with another 2 minutes to get clear water.

It takes a long time to fill the black tank (less if you put dishwater in it), but generally it starts to smell bad at about a week and no amount of tank deodorant and keeping the bathroom fan on all the time will help much. Until either odor time arrives or we are going home, we never open the black tank valve—that asks for solidifying of whatever doesn't float out right away and eventually a black tank with lots of hard nasty stuff in it (and a fork).

With plenty of water, whether or not toilet paper dissolves doesn't seem to matter. After all, the "solids" do not always dissolves either.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote