Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I use Bounty select a size. I HATE when the TP rips when wiping. Kidding, I use the Scott's 1000 rolls, home and away for reason above though. Dissolves pretty quick.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I use only RV paper.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Scott's single ply, 1000 sheet roll. If "break through" is a concern, lighten up on "the grip". Lots of water in the black tank. Should be fine. Also, we have never used any chems other than "RV Digest It". No issues at all.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
The Thetford Wives.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the big keys to keeping a toilet flowing well is by dumping it full. If I'm at the end of a stay and the toilet holding tank isn't full, I'll fill it. Been camping with toilets in my trailers over 30 years using all kinds of toilet paper and have never had a clog or issue. I attribute that to dumping full. That high liquid content from a full tank creates a lot of force which pushes the debris in the toilet out. Do it will less water and that force is greatly reduced thus leading you to problems and clogs.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No reason to buy the high priced packages marketed for RV use. Any brand on your grocery store shelf marked "safe for septic tanks" will work just fine.
Au contraire! My Interstate has a macerator pump, and regular toilet paper will clog it. The easier it is for the macerator to chew up and spit out, the better is for use in my Airstream.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The real problem is mistakenly dropping anything ELSE down the tank. There are a few hilarious stories about glasses, forks, false teeth, etc. but one of the worst? I met a guy who was trying to sell an old Argosy his college aged son had lived in for years. Seems his son dated a lot and frequently brought ladies home to the Argy. Dad was getting ready to drop the black tank because weeks of flushing still hadn't cleared all of the latex articles from the tank. (How did this mental giant graduate?) Needless to say there are some circumstances where a Sewer Solution isn't viable.
A friend and his alcoholic girl friend used my Airstream 310 here in my carport after his son's girlfriend's husband burned down the friend's house in retribution (talk about drama, huh?, well it is North Idaho).

The alcoholic one smoked cigarillo's with plastic tips. The Airstream needed to have it's black tank emptied, and to do that I had him use the macerator pump, which quickly jammed. (their stuff, they deal with it). When he finally got the pump unhooked and apart one of the plastic cigarillo tips was firmly wedged in the inlet. I left and let them scream at each other about that little deal.

I don't worry about paper, it is the other stuff that really causes issues.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Au contraire! My Interstate has a macerator pump, and regular toilet paper will clog it. The easier it is for the macerator to chew up and spit out, the better is for use in my Airstream.
I agree. It's surprising how many plumbers moan/warn about using Charmin in the home lines, much less trying to use that stuff in an RV environment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
This has turned into quite an amusing thread. Thank you everyone!
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Has anyone tried an old Sears catalog?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
The Sears catalog is good for finishing but grey water soaked corn cobs are best for the initial brush and they flow or crunch in the mascerator. The Sears catalog is for the city folks.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Before there were corn cobs (they only showed up after the Europeans rediscovered America), there were leaves and, yes, fingers. Santitation was not too good in Europe and understanding of what was "dirty" was not all that clear. The Arabs only used their left hands for that purpose and ate with their right hands.

Lots of water, as Jack said, is a good thing. For years now I have been trying to figure just how much water to use backflushing, but that depends how much water pressure there is. I could run inside and check the tank monitor, but it is usually wrong, why bother? I suppose there is an inline meter available to tell me how much water passes through the backflush hose, but that seems like getting into OCD territory. If there is high pressure and I backflush for 4 minutes, I may have a waterfall down the side of the trailer—the water will back up the soil stack (vent) and down the side (it does test the toilet flapper seal to see if it is watertight). This is the kind of thing that causes you to first look around to see if anyone noticed, then you turn off the water.

I find that 2-2 1/2 minutes will get plenty of water in the tank, but 30 seconds will get a lot of stuff out too. I may start with 2 minutes and then do it for 30 seconds several times and finish with another 2 minutes to get clear water.

It takes a long time to fill the black tank (less if you put dishwater in it), but generally it starts to smell bad at about a week and no amount of tank deodorant and keeping the bathroom fan on all the time will help much. Until either odor time arrives or we are going home, we never open the black tank valve—that asks for solidifying of whatever doesn't float out right away and eventually a black tank with lots of hard nasty stuff in it (and a fork).

With plenty of water, whether or not toilet paper dissolves doesn't seem to matter. After all, the "solids" do not always dissolves either.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote