Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
I too would NOT buy a travel trailer if it did not have a toilet.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

This guy is trying to flip the trailer.

I don't see him making much money. Might be a fun hobby though.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Source of information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Gray water cannot be discharged onto the ground in most states legally. Used to was, but not now. Jim
This statement has some serious info stated as fact that is more likely an opinion.
After an hour on Google, I found no evidence to substantiate it.
Many opinions but no facts to back it.
Yes, I have practiced it myself in certain circumstances but others didn't know it.
Environmental concerns unproven since experts take both sides.
Just sayin.....
Oh ans add me to the list of NEVER considering a trailer that had no toilet or contained one requiring specialty maintenance.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Please do more research and you will find I am correct. Whether it is environmentally okay is irrelevant. It is against the law inmost state, at least east of the Rockies. Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Gray water cannot be discharged onto the ground in most states legally. Used to was, but not now. Jim"

More likely fact.

Plus many campgrounds have specific rules against dumping gray water. As do most forest service and national park campgrounds.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I don't see him making much money. Might be a fun hobby though.
That's is the motivation I need. Haters. I love to prove people like you wrong. That was quite a remark on such small facts. Consider this, I also own a 64' Globetrotter and I've completely remodeled it WITHOUT a toilet. I beat people away with a stick over offers far more than what I have in it. I cannot bring myself to sell my first one I've ever poured my heart into.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Many TinCan tourist folks have antique trailers without amenities. Don't know any better I guess. No toilets some without running water or lp gas. Sure are nice looking trailers though. Jim
Old 05-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well.......

Does a bear ---- in the woods? Yes! But I don't think I want to! Many trailers were built well before such amenities like black tank and toilets were ever designed for them. However, If I were looking at a trailer to buy and my pre-purchase investigations of the models/manufacturers show the trailer equipped with a toilet and waste system and then a P.O. did a rebuild that eliminated it.... I would pass on that trailer. Why buy something that can really only be used in a full services campground or boondocking by taking the chance of getting caught going backwards by using a throwback gopher hole to dispose of body waste. As for folks wanting your rebuild w/o bathroom. Many people want GTs, Pacers, Travelers and Wee Winds! That doesn't mean they would want one that has been modified to remove this amenity! They just want the small trailer so the can make it into what they want and for it to function! Of course they may or may not choose to add the bathroom/toilet feature back to the coach! Just Sayin'! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Just slam a Dometic 310 in it and everyone will be happy....

someone mentioned the "OLD" trailers.

trailers were not allowed to have Toilets/holding tanks until a certain time (post ww2 ?) because they were not allowed to cross state lines carrying sewage.

1987 Avion 34X

1985 Avion 30R
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjmcg View Post
From what I know about composting toilets (no personal experience, for a reason), that choice would never be on my options list. I'm in agreement with those who say a toilet is a must and that means also having an easily emptied holding tank. My own experience with vintage says *separate* black and grey tanks, and a separate dump valves for each, are the best (IMO, the only acceptable) way to go, whether you keep this trailer or sell it. When I first acquired my still-very-often-used '56, it had no installed black nor grey tanks; the PO used a portable "camping potty" that has a built-in tank at bottom, and these are still widely available, and ~could~ be a solution for you (but, I'm willing to bet you won't like the frequent carrying/emptying duties involved with their very high yuck factors). Who knows what the original owner did with the original toilet system (I'm not even sure that mid-50s ASs' toilets even had a black holding tank under them???) I installed one tank at first, for both black and grey, but quickly determined that it is far better to have 2 tanks for maximum flexibility when on the road and/or in campgrounds with their highly variable sewage infrastructures, oftentimes none at all in the less developed sites, state parks, and the like. Anyway, for any DIY'er, installing black and gray tanks and all the associated plumbing/venting is not at all difficult and not expensive either. Good luck with the project, whatever you decide!
With all due respect: I have an Airhead Composting toilet on my Sailboat. It is one of my best purchases. I would not hesitate to install the same in my Classic 30 if the need arrived. Although more expensive than the Nature's Head, the difference in the quality and the overall engineering is worth it. If anyone wants more information and advice on the simple installation, you can PM me.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	238639  
Old 05-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Yes and that is why I asked for opinions. But the majority seems to lean towards having the amenities. So that will be the route this will go. Now on to picking the grey tank position and size. Today I stripped it out just so I could address the rotted sub floor and clean the pan of built up debris. I will probably just use the original black tank being that it doesn't leak. Now to figure a layout that best fits the original placement of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150517_170900.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	238629   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_170856.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	238630  

Name:	20150517_170846.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	238631   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_170837.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	238632  

Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #26
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
No hating need be assumed, Artisan; having a toilet-less '64 means to me that you and/or your overnight family/guests have just been lucky, so far, (you've been lucky too, as a host) in not having anyone suffering *yet* from any one of many common ailments that causes an urgent need for a "toilet-RIGHT-HERE-RIGHT-NOW-and-for-ALL-forseeable-hours-to-come". Just a short list includes these common situations: babies and toddlers without reliable potty-training, those with stomach upsets, those sick from a "bug", those enduring a UTI, or a kidney stone, or recovering from any type of abdominal surgery, or needing to routinely use a catheter, or wear adult diapers, or have diarrhea/vomiting, or >insert your ad nauseum examples here<. All everyone here is saying is: Give the requisite bit of consideration to your family and guests who eventually WILL present you with one of these siutations. When this happens, not if, you'll regret your choice to forego such a basic amenity as on on board topilet as you point them out to the campground's toilet, or out into nature if you're dry-camping, or you deal frequently with emptying/cleaning a porta-potty. Truly, you're going to swiftly change your mind when you come up against "life" without the sanitary-ness that comes with a toilet that has running water and that flushes all into a sealed holding tank. But it's your rep so you can do whatever you want in order to prove us all wrong...even if it does make you "bite off your nose to spite your face".
Old 05-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjmcg View Post
No hating need be assumed, Artisan; having a toilet-less '64 means to me that you and/or your overnight family/guests have just been lucky, so far, (you've been lucky too, as a host) in not having anyone suffering *yet* from any one of many common ailments that causes an urgent need for a "toilet-RIGHT-HERE-RIGHT-NOW-and-for-ALL-forseeable-hours-to-come". Just a short list includes these common situations: babies and toddlers without reliable potty-training, those with stomach upsets, those sick from a "bug", those enduring a UTI, or a kidney stone, or recovering from any type of abdominal surgery, or needing to routinely use a catheter, or wear adult diapers, or have diarrhea/vomiting, or >insert your ad nauseum examples here<. All everyone here is saying is: Give the requisite bit of consideration to your family and guests who eventually WILL present you with one of these siutations. When this happens, not if, you'll regret your choice to forego such a basic amenity as on on board topilet as you point them out to the campground's toilet, or out into nature if you're dry-camping, or you deal frequently with emptying/cleaning a porta-potty. Truly, you're going to swiftly change your mind when you come up against "life" without the sanitary-ness that comes with a toilet that has running water and that flushes all into a sealed holding tank. But it's your rep so you can do whatever you want in order to prove us all wrong...even if it does make you "bite off your nose to spite your face".
I'm sorry let me clarify. I was referring to the fact he was insisting on myself not making a profit. I gave him an example to understand that his comment is already void. I AGREE with everyone about the toilet feature, and I was never sold on not having one. I do a lot of backpacking so I'm OK without one but I needed A general consensus. That was the purpose of the thread, not to be told I won't be profitable (aka hater). I am pursuing by looking at different models of grey tanks and toilets.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
2009 23' Flying Cloud
Topeka , Kansas
Depends