Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sebastopol , California
Toilet not holding water for #2

It seems like the toilet in my 1984 Excella is not holding water when I step on the peddle. It just exits past the plastic that slides across the tank opening and whoosh. So, no water builds up in the toilet for the inevitable #2.

Is this a common problem that I can repair or is it time for a new toilet.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Yes, it can be repaired, it's a Theford, yes.
There is a rebuild kit.
Now some say for the price difference you should just get a new one, me, I rebuilt mine.
I learned things. Of course the things you learn some may not want too

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Try this first

In an 84, your seal is probably gone but you might also have built up scale from hard water or some other biological matter.

Get your trusty rubber glove, some baking soda and a piece of old cotton double knit from a T-shirt, etc. Get the rag damp and pour on a generous amount of baking soda - which is a non-abrasive cleanser. I have the dreaded plastic bowl in my '06 and I know it's cheap crap I'll have to replace in a couple of years, but to avoid even more premature failure, baking soda will clean the whole bowl without scratching or staining. BTW if your stainless steel silverware looks dingy, this is great way to make it shine like new. Uh fellas.... use a different rag for the silverware, the one you use for this chore gets thrown OUT! (.... sorry I have a nephew who really does need that last instruction. )

Kneel, open the trap and thoroughly rub all sides of the lower end of the toilet bowl, and the slider. Let the trap partially close on the rag and gently pull it back and forth. When you're finished, rinse with the sprayer or a couple of cups of water. Then see if it will hold water.

If not, it's time for a rebuild or a new throne.

Good luck, Paula
Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Also check that the slide is sealing correctly. Sometimes paper gets pushed into the area where the slide seats and prevents it from sealing. You can check it with a small mirror and a light.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Also check that the slide is sealing correctly. Sometimes paper gets pushed into the area where the slide seats and prevents it from sealing. You can check it with a small mirror and a light.
You forgot to mention the high power magnifying glass

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sebastopol , California
Great, I'll try the baking soda today. Thanks for all the comments from everyone.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
You can also try CLR which removes lime and scale, worked great for me. Just add to the bowel let seep/set and brush with the valve open/closed.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As noted above most often it is paper that has become trapped in the seat of the valve. Take a stiff coat hanger open it to make a wire and bend the end about 1 in. at 90 degrees. You can bend the other end to use as a handle, you now have a Z bar. While holding the valve open try useing the hanger to clean the groove that the valve seats into. If it is clean you should feel nothing. If paper is jammed in the seat you should hit it and be able to dislodge it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
This most likley the trouble,toilet paper. Blade valve catches the TP between blade and seal, that then will not let the valve go closed all the way.Mine got so bad I had to take toilet out to cleane out the TP at the seal and valve.Removing toilet ,cleaning valve and putting back took about 30 min.Some say you can use bent screw driver and reach in and get it out. Mine was packed in to hard.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Good luck in finding your problem. I repaired mine last year. I put a new gasket kit in it. works great. I bought a new thedford toliet and when I started to install it, I found that the bolt pattern was different, Not wanting to try to move bolt placement I returned new toliet and got the repair kit.

kay