Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Toilet/ black water complete replacement questions

I am starting over with the toilet/ black water system in our '66 Sovereign, and had some questions. The bathroom is located in the very back of the trailer, with a shower/sink assembly on the right that I want to preserve and the toilet centered under the rear window. I had to replace most of the sub-floor back there, so I am basically starting from scratch. I am hoping to have more experienced folk verify a couple of design decisions.

My plan is to build a bench out of 5/8 plywood covered in vinyl tiles across the back that is 8" off the floor, and mount a low-profile Sealand to the bench. This should give me enough room to run wiring and plumbing under the bench that will be accessable from the access panel in the back of the trailer.
  1. Is it OK to go with out a holding tank? My old one is shot. We will be using our trailer as a living space and it will be plumbed right into the septic tank. I am thinking that when we get our house built and want to use the Airstream as a vacation home in on the beach in Baja we can use the portable tanks.
  2. For my plumbing I am thinking Sealand lo-profile 511+ -> Valterra 3" Female floor flange -> 3" abs pipe -> ABS elbow -> short ABS Pipe -> Valterra female valve flange -> 3" Valterra waste valve -> 3" sewer hose -> septic tank. Does that work?
  3. For the gray water should I hook it into the toilet drain (with an ABS Sanitary T) or run a separate waste valve? I can dump gray water on the ground where I am but I was thinking the extra water might be necessary to keep the sewer line flushed.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon
hickam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Jon,

I'm not happy with your plan. I don't think you will have enough liquid flow to keep the solids from plugging up the pipe. I would put in a regular flush toilet with a good size tank to push the stuff through the pipe.

A regular toilet would also give you a trap to keep vapors from coming back up the pipe from the septic tank.

You also need to put in a vent pipe.

Good luck! Don't give up.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the feedback. Wont the vent in a RV toilet keep gasses from comming back? Also, I am confused about why an RV toilet would not produce enough water. Don't most folks plumb straight into the waste drain at RV parks? Do they keep their vavle shut until the holding tank fills then let empty it every couple days?
hickam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Jon,

There isn't a vent in the toilet. The vent is normally in the tank, which you are discarding. The pupose of the vent isn't to keep gases from coming back, it's to relieve pressure in the tank (and piping) to allow water to flow in.

RV toilets don't use enough water to push the solids down the pipe, like a household toilet. That's why most of them have a spray nozzle nearby. If they did use the same amount of water, it would fill up most black tanks pretty quickly.

And your final question is true, most people keep the black tank valve shut until the tank is almost full.

If I was you, I would put in a regular toilet, I think it will work better. When you go on the road, replace it.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Parma , Ohio
How did it work out?

Hi Jon, I am trying the same thing. How did you overcome the problem of the other mechanicals in the back under the box that used to hold the toilet? DId you end up going with a "home" toilet? How does it work being elevated on a platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickam
I am starting over with the toilet/ black water system in our '66 Sovereign, and had some questions. The bathroom is located in the very back of the trailer, with a shower/sink assembly on the right that I want to preserve and the toilet centered under the rear window. I had to replace most of the sub-floor back there, so I am basically starting from scratch. I am hoping to have more experienced folk verify a couple of design decisions.

My plan is to build a bench out of 5/8 plywood covered in vinyl tiles across the back that is 8" off the floor, and mount a low-profile Sealand to the bench. This should give me enough room to run wiring and plumbing under the bench that will be accessable from the access panel in the back of the trailer.
  1. Is it OK to go with out a holding tank? My old one is shot. We will be using our trailer as a living space and it will be plumbed right into the septic tank. I am thinking that when we get our house built and want to use the Airstream as a vacation home in on the beach in Baja we can use the portable tanks.
  2. For my plumbing I am thinking Sealand lo-profile 511+ -> Valterra 3" Female floor flange -> 3" abs pipe -> ABS elbow -> short ABS Pipe -> Valterra female valve flange -> 3" Valterra waste valve -> 3" sewer hose -> septic tank. Does that work?
  3. For the gray water should I hook it into the toilet drain (with an ABS Sanitary T) or run a separate waste valve? I can dump gray water on the ground where I am but I was thinking the extra water might be necessary to keep the sewer line flushed.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon
RestorinanAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #6

Largo , Florida
Toilet Odors

My husband and I were having the same problem and had also tried everything, prior to replacing the seals. Then we read, where else but on the Internet, on a Forum that the "tank" in the bowl itself could be empty. We had never heard of this before. Anything was worth a try. Basically what you do it fill you bowl up with water and let the water run into the "overflow" holes until it won't hold any more. Then flush the toilet. I never would have believed it. It worked! We have had no more problems. We live in hot sunny FL and we every so often just add a little water through the holes. Our toliet has never helded water (we didn't even know that it was supposed too, newbies! since we have had it (four years) so I guess the seals are still warn out, but no more odor. It's worth a try. By the way, this is my first night joining you and I love the info. I'm honored to be registered. Thanks.
pbibb4956
PBibb4956 is offline   Reply With Quote