Old 09-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Thetford Replacement Dump Valves

Does the model of these things matter as long as the 4 mounting bolts are the same as the old mounting flange? It looks like there are the same 4 bolts to attach the valve no matter the model?

Perry

Old 09-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Does the model of these things matter as long as the 4 mounting bolts are the same as the old mounting flange? It looks like there are the same 4 bolts to attach the valve no matter the model?

Perry
The model makes a huge difference.

Also, the number that is on the valve, is useless, as that same number is on every valve, no matter what the design.

Andy

Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well what valves are compatible with the 4.25" bolt center on the array of 4 bolts that bolt the valves to the mounting flange that is glued to the tank? Do they still make a compatible valve to replace these with.

I got the valves back together and they don't seem to leak. I would like some spares when these finally die. The blades were scored to some degree. I polished them up as much as I could. The next time will be easier since the tank now has a bigger access plate than before. At some point, I will have to replace the Y-pipe with a new one since one valve is glued to the Y-pipe. I don't want to screw with the mounting flange on the tank side if I can help it. The key thing is that the mounting flange on the new valve is the same as the old valve.

I can now dump the gray water without mixing it with the black water. The black water valve o-ring got stuck on the wrong side of the blade.

Perry
Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
According to the info that I have been able to find the valve I need is a 08708 with the 3" nipple on one end and the Thetford flange on the other with the 4 bolts.

Perry
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Vintage trailer supply carries all of them, and Steve can probably get you the exact one.

As a safety, you may want to consider getting a Thetford to Valterra adapater, and then get the Valterra twist on valve. Pretend both of your valves stuck. with this combo, you twist on a new gate valve, and you can still use your trailer almost normally (except if both valves were stuck open, you might get sewage in the gray line.)

Rob.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Rob that is what I have been doing. I have the Valtera twist on valve and will save that as a backup.

Perry
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Perry,

The Thetford 4-hole flanges are all the same. The different part numbers have different fittings on the non-flange (outlet) side, either a slip fitting for solvent welding, or a slip fitting with an o-ring that, since it doesn't have to be solvent welded, is easier to replace.

The o-ring setup will only work if the outlet pipe has hangers or something to support it, and it is prone to leaks.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is Thetford even making these things, because you can't find any info on their websight about them.

Perry