Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Wink The Good, The Bad, and not so Ugly.

Well, I removed my black tank today. Yesterday was spent removing the toilet. I have to work slow as I am still recovering from 2 hip replacements. My trailer is parked on a slope which places the rear access just at my waist and leaves adequate crawl space underneath. Crawl I cannot do but laying on my back I can. I have to sleep that way too but I did not dose under the Tradewind with all those years of dirt in the belly pan raining down. Goggles and mask were the fashion requirement. I have floor rot at the back which required cutting the carriage bolts to the tank tray. All the remaining nuts spun off easily....except one. That one was one the front edge of the tank. It was right in back of the end of the furnace duct to the bathroom so it was easy to locate it inside. I carefully pulled up the tile and found the head of the carriage bolt....buried in rot. Crap! I suppose I expected it. Anyway I dug around the bolt until it dissappeared and a crash was heard outside as the tray and tank hit the ground. It was the last bolt. Well I drug the tank tray and tank out from underneath the trailer and was happy to see that the tray was in very good condition Some surface rust from the leaky black tank and an access hole cut by a PO to the dump valve which should be easy to patch. The black tank is spit the width of it and is a gonner. Now I need to go back underneath to see what other problems may be lurking there. What I have to do to lower myself is do a push-up [down] from a chair to my knees then with my palms on the ground carefully swing over onto my back without crossing my legs or even touching my knees together. So much peparation is taken to be sure I have all the tools I need before I get down. Once down I crawled..er inched on my back under the trailer to see the condition of the rear cavity where the tank was located. What a nice surprise. After reading several threads from other vintage AS owners of frame rust, sagging rears and evidence of varmit infestation I was really relieved to see the great condition was revealed. No frame rust. NADA. A PO had sealed openings with aluminum patches and caulk to keep critters and moisture out. I do, however, have bathroom floor rot. A previous PO had replaced the left rear corner near where the Intellewizard is mounted. That is why the floor gives a little there and along the rear but I have to find the source and reason for the rot where that bolt spun. I really should pull up the bathroom and replace that whole floor but physically I can't for at least a year. That is when my next doctor appointment is for my hips. I may just have to do a floor patch job for now. It appears I can do much of that from below. I could do it from above at the rear access and replace some of the copper plumbing. I would love to replace it all inside but that means kneeling and it was difficult to kneel to remove that spinning carriage bolt. I told that to my daughter tonight and she offered up her husband. A really nice guy.....he is a good architect....but eh.. not too handy. I suppose I could ask... they live 2 1/2 hours away..... I suppose he could do it in a weekend if I have everything ready. I'll 'feel' him out this weekend when we visit. Did I tell you they presented my wife and I with our 2nd grandson on 12/30? Well now I have to locate another black tank. Andy Rogozinski (Inland RV) has one but our local RV place says, "Sure we can get one for you." I doubt it but I'll give him the courtesy of trying. I took photos of it so I don't have to haul that thing in my car. I will post updates to this. Of course am open to suggestions....or help.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Neil; My progress on 26 Arg, is at stand still. Last Wednesday I was tig welding [repairing] rather large tuna tower off the boat. Since my good Argon regulator was malfunctioning a backup regulator was installed. Not known to me the replacement was leaking Argon pretty bad. My air evacuator could not keep up with it and after four hours of welding I was on the floor semi conscious. My wife called an ambulance, while all I could do is lay there and vomit uncontrollably. Spent four days in medical Hilton to be finaly let out on Sunday after my blood oxygen was at 92% after walking up and down the corridor for 15 minutes. I am still very lightheaded and not so sure footed as I have been all my life. However, the one lesson I have learned from this, is that it is better to think twice before executing any tasks. It has made me aware how fragile the life can be, and how much I have to live for. Looking at my wife besides me at the hospital two days later after awakening, I realized that she is the one that truly cares and matters to me the most. So, therefore my AS will have to wait until I recover. Perhaps you should take things easy as well, because if you get hurt you may not be the only one that will suffer.
Hope things will smooth out for you. Thanks Neil, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
...Spent four days in medical Hilton to be finaly let out on Sunday after my blood oxygen was at 92%... "Boatdoc"
Doc, what a trial! Sounds like a wake up call too! Yes, we think that we are invincible...but then realize that's only a thin outer shell. I'm glad that you seem to be on the mend. Your helpfull kindness and selflessness are ever apparent here on the forums You would be sorely missed.

Get well soon, Neil and Boat Doc

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Doc, what a trial! Sounds like a wake up call too! Yes, we think that we are invincible...but then realize that's only a thin outer shell. I'm glad that you seem to be on the mend. Your helpfull kindness and selflessness are ever apparent here on the forums You would be sorely missed.

Get well soon, Neil and Boat Doc

Steve
Yes, our lives are fragile. We must treat this AS alumunitus adiction with much more caution. Let's get on with life (streaming) with more reasonable value of what is really important. Boatdoc...be cautious. I enjoy your posts so be here for many more and I promise to heed your advise too.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
geez guys, we're all wounded aren't we, I had the cancer thing 11 months ago and am only lately gettin back to normal. Boatdoc = wish you the best and Neil , I'm only a few clicks south of you and would have no problem driving over to assist you. Maybe we could put your AS up on blocks so at least you could get under it a little easier. PM me if I can help!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote