Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
The downside of the Sewer Solution.

Most of the time I love our Sewer Solution, but every so often it is quite the pain in the .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FWYXWF.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	226712  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I guess you are just being dramatic but it looks like the issue is with the water hose not the SS.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I guess you are just being dramatic but it looks like the issue is with the water hose not the SS.
I'm saying the problem is it needs pressurized water to work.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kind of like saying the problem with an Airstream is the tow truck sometimes gets a flat tire.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Without Pressurized water

I dump without pressurized water 90% of the time. And I fulltime. And there are a few who are unkind enough to intimate that I might be full of it.

If you want your black tank to be absolutely pristine pressurized water is what you'll need to do it, though you can absolutely use your black tank washers for the destination of your SS.

Simple steps - plenty of water in the black tank so that solids can break down (No chunk flush). Easy on the TP and use only something that is RV friendly. Do the locomotion - Hook up your tow vehicle and rock the trailer back and forth to stir up anything that has settled on the bottom, or if you have an electric tongue jack, raise your stabilizers and raise and lower the tongue jack to create a wave front on the inside of your tank before and while draining. Supply water from above. A bucket or two of water flushed down the toilet will help things along, or if you're hooked up to city water, tuck your shower hose under the toilet seat and prop the drain open while doing a warm water flush.

Oh DON'T #2 in the tank for about 4 hours before flushing. The thing is you want a slurry to drain not a rock field.

After you've drained everything, put 5 gallons clear water back in the gray and black tanks. Drain again close to home, the last of the crud will come out easily.

Paula
Old 11-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Kind of like saying the problem with an Airstream is the tow truck sometimes gets a flat tire.
The Sewer Solution as it exists in a physical form is working 100%. No debating that.

The Sewer Solution the concept.. which relies on infrastructure not under the manufacturers control is rarely, but sometimes a problem.

Therefore I reserve that right to state that the Sewer Solution can be a pain in the ass to use.

Ugg... sometimes i wonder why i even try to post to this site. It is a funny picture.. a joke.. that is all. Not a rip on a company or person or anything other than something for laughs.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
tim, there is so much bitching about even good products in the forum maybe some of us get tired of it and don't recognize the joke. I'll try to do better.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
tim, there is so much bitching about even good products in the forum maybe some of us get tired of it and don't recognize the joke. I'll try to do better.
And I shall make my original posts more lighthearted. I tried to keep it short and sweet. Perhaps too short and sweet.

The picture was taken at an otherwise well outfitted and great state park just out outside of New Orleans. Bayou Segnette State Park. I highly recommend staying there.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Former days, I had no problem with the black tank gravity dump. Did have lots of water to solids.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I just installed an outside valve that allows us to use the onboard water tank and pump to drive the Sewer Solution. Haven't had a chance to try it out... yet.
But from some careful observation and knowing the maximum flow rate of my well I am guessing it uses less than 15 gallons of water to do a basic tank flush. That is enough to get the tank empty for the road, I can clean it out better at the next full hookup site, or when I get home.

Perhaps not as entertaining as Paula's method tho...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Most of the time I love our Sewer Solution, but every so often it is quite the pain in the .....
Seems you have the model with the optional shower attachment.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
In general, a conventional hose will be quicker and easier when using a dump station.

The "sewer solution" is useful for situations involving longer runs and mild uphill grades where water is readily available. It is also one of several good alternatives for full hookup sites.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I laugh every time i see Timmaah's handle cause I can hear Timmaah saying "TIMMAAH"!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I dump without pressurized water 90% of the time. And I fulltime. And there are a few who are unkind enough to intimate that I might be full of it.
Paula
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I just installed an outside valve that allows us to use the onboard water tank and pump to drive the Sewer Solution. Haven't had a chance to try it out... yet.

Aaron
Ditto here. I seldom use the water jet attachment on our SS as timing and gravity have always worked for us. The only down side (for us) is that the SS does take more time to drain.

Aaron, let us know how the valve works out as I've toyed with this idea as well.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
Good thread. I've only been Airstreaming for two seasons, and hadn't heard of the Sewer Solution. Looks like something I should add to my tool box...
smlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Look into it, but also be aware that it does come on sale occasionally. I did not pay full price for it

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I agree with Jammer, that is why we carry both, and end up using the stinky slinky about 95% of the time, but when needed, the SS is worth it's weight in Aluminum.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
In general, a conventional hose will be quicker and easier when using a dump station.

The "sewer solution" is useful for situations involving longer runs and mild uphill grades where water is readily available. It is also one of several good alternatives for full hookup sites.
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
The real problem isn't the ss but the hose provided, those high tower spring with a short hose that has a 90 degree elbow without a way to hook hose on make it impossible to use as a suppliment to flushing, it can only do a washdown of area if you miss;(

AS built in water flush of black tank also requires a male hose fitting to attach so that it can use the pressure to rinse.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'd like to use a SS at home to drain my waste tanks rather than take a dozen trips to the powder room toilet with a 5 gal bucket. Can't find the darn sewer clean out for my house.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I don't full time but I do use the sewer solution flusher when I dump the black tank. I have a setup with a double hose valve and a couple short hoses that I connect to the AS tank flusher and the sewer solution flusher so I control where the water goes. If I need to push something out of the tank I use the SS flush. The AS flush helps break up what's on the tank.

I also like that the SS is a lot easier to store and deploy than the slinky. I don't like crawling under the trailer to reach the AS built in slinky storage tube. I have an unused slinky in there just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote