Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Termination Terminology Confusion

There are many many areas of Airstream discussion where it is obvious that the posters use different (often slang) terms for parts and systems. I find that this makes it all the more difficult to follow for many of us. One of many catagories where I have found confusing terminology and definition is the sewage system.

I define Termination parts as anything attached at or after the exit opening in the black and or grey water tanks. [Not to include vent stack parts which exit at another location on tanks].
Do y'all agree?

So....
What exactly is a "Thetford Collector" ?
I see the picture (below) but is that the real (actual) name for that device?
It was discussed in this thread >>> http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...vel-50021.html

Looking in a 74 Service Manual I see the following "Termination" parts (on various models in no particular order) but nothing called a "collector".

• Dump Valve
  • Tee Wye
  • 90 degree Ell
  • 3x2 Bushing
  • Calder Coupling 3"
  • Bayonet ring
  • Cap & Chain
Are there other Termination parts?

Is "collector" a 60's models term, or just slang for something listed above?
And while we are at it what exactly is a Calder Coupling? Is "Calder" a Thetford term or a general plumbing term or what?

Whazzup?
thanks

so called Thetford "collector"

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
To be honest with you I'm not real sure. I have seen it called that in several threads and at Inland RV the replacement one is called this. It might just be a slang term but I'm sure Andy will set us straight with why its called that and the reason. I referred to it as that in my title because that was what I figured people would relate to what exactly I was talking about and I was correct.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I believe I saw the part listed on either Thetford or Valterra's website...its actually what they call the part.

calder coupling: no idea, there.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Hey Steven I wasn't being critical, I have no prob with slang or more common naming of things. Just tryin' to connect all the dots. BTW saw your photos and like the T-shirt (hers too). Look for a PM from me.

Now to answer one of my own questions re: what is a Calder Coupling. I did the Google and found this here...>>>> http://www.jointscouplings.com/images/CALDER1B.jpg

Calder Couplings

Calder is a brand name. I think I have seen another maker of something similar too. I am thinking Fernco Couplings may be the other.http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
What did we do BEFORE Google??? I've answered a lot of my own questions with it. Saves a lot of time when we can go straight to it. I'm anxious to see the answer to your original question. Stay tuned.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
What exactly is a "Thetford Collector" ?

Looking in a 74 Service Manual I see the following "Termination" parts (on various models in no particular order) but nothing called a "collector".
The reason you can't find anything called a "collector" in your 1974 service manual, is 1974 models and newer did not come equipped with one.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel View Post
To be honest with you I'm not real sure. I have seen it called that in several threads and at Inland RV the replacement one is called this. It might just be a slang term but I'm sure Andy will set us straight with why its called that and the reason. I referred to it as that in my title because that was what I figured people would relate to what exactly I was talking about and I was correct.
This is what the after market "collector," looks like.

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/images/17200.jpg

Andy
Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow some things never change around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The reason you can't find anything called a "collector" in your 1974 service manual, is 1974 models and newer did not come equipped with one.
Well thanks Terry for that illuminating contribution. I'll kindly assume that after 13500 or so some such "contributions" you are just out of ink.
I have always subscribed to the notion that there are no stupid questions on this forum, but God knows there are some stupid answers.

Perhaps someone might still have enough ink left to let those of us who might be curious what year was the first and last to use the "collector". My other questions still stand as well. Wise arses welcome too.

Regards

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Well thanks Terry for that illuminating contribution. I'll kindly assume that after 13500 or so some such "contributions" you are just out of ink.
I have always subscribed to the notion that there are no stupid questions on this forum, but God knows there are some stupid answers.

Perhaps someone might still have enough ink left to let those of us who might be curious what year was the first and last to use the "collector". My other questions still stand as well. Wise arses welcome too.

Regards
Since you seem to want a 300 word essay on a part you don't have, I'll be happy to oblige.
The Thetford Collector was first used with the introduction of the black tank. The collector was an ABS or PVC fitting to connect the grey water system to the outlet of the black water system. It allows the two types of water to "collect" in a single outlet, hence the name, "collector". The last year these were used was the last year Airstreams were built without grey tanks, in 1973. After that year, there was no need for the collector as such, because there was now a grey water tank, and a grey water dump valve, both draining into a single drain. This negated the need for the collector, and it was no longer used.

Also, if you don't like me responding to your questions, please let me know, and I'll be happy to place you on my "ignore" list, which will assure I will never see another of your posts, and not feel the need to respond to them.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
Never one to shy away from a dispute, I can only add that the picture below is of a 1959 collector. It was not called a Thetford Collector, because Thetford didn't exist until 1963. As you can see, the slide valve was brass, but the collector (actually a "three-way" collector) was made of the latest in PVC. There were nipples screwed into the threaded portion of the collector.

Hey, you invited us wise arses into this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve 002.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	78067  
Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
I see what you call a Calder coupling..................I just bought one yesterday for $4 at Lowes to reconnect my 2" gray water line I had to cut in half to remove valve. They can call it what they want but I call it a "$4 piece of rubber with 2 hose clamps".
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
If you google "valterra collector", you'll see that they still do make such things, in various configurations. Seems that anything that combines 2 valved drain lines into a single outlet could be called "collector".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
1973 25' Tradewind
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
I have just had my black water tank repaired the dump valve replaced on a '73 Tradewind. The "Collector" mentioned here does not stay connected to the dump valve.
Any suggestions ?
BTW the sewer hose discharges from the bottom of the trailer not the side
Riverton, NJ
tfbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
When you say "does not stay connected" do you mean the collector is coming apart from the dump valve. On mine the top of the collector has a flange with holes in it and it is fastened to the valve with screws. I hope the shop who did put the screws in it if thats what your talking about.