Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
 
Rawn77's Avatar
 
2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 211
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
I've sinced switched to Unique Natural Products

I find they both give the same rotten egg smell when the outside temperatures are warm; though they both seem to digest very well.

Unique is cheaper; and is also sold through RV Parts stores.
__________________

__________________
Ron
Montreal, QC

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 371
Rotten egg smell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
I've sinced switched to Unique Natural Products

I find they both give the same rotten egg smell when the outside temperatures are warm; though they both seem to digest very well.

Unique is cheaper; and is also sold through RV Parts stores.
__________________

__________________
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 371
After some quick research it does look like Unique Digest it might be a better option. Anyone else have experience with Unique?
__________________
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
daveswenson's Avatar
 
2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
Doing the math. One liter of Tank Techs is $40. Provides 66 treatments. 61 cents per treatment. 128 oz of Unique is $26. Provides 32 treatments. 81 cents per treatment. Tank Techs is cheaper.
__________________
Dave

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 371
I did the same math and agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Doing the math. One liter of Tank Techs is $40. Provides 66 treatments. 61 cents per treatment. 128 oz of Unique is $26. Provides 32 treatments. 81 cents per treatment. Tank Techs is cheaper.
__________________
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Llando88's Avatar
 
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 655
I've alternated between Tank Tech RX and Happy Camper.

I've been satisfied with both products.
__________________
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
daboose's Avatar

 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Matthews , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 42
Images: 11
GEO Method (looking good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Does everyone still like TanktechsRx?
RX is a good enzyme product for treating the tank as a septic tank but it didn’t fit our camping pattern, so to speak. I used it exclusively all of 2015. The sewer odor was still present if you accidentally got a whiff of it.

We started our 2016 camping season in March and decided to try the infamous GEO Method. And I must say, the wife and I really like it so far.

This has been discussed on other threads if you want to search it out.

GEO Method
GEO Method Blog
__________________
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,222
TankTechsRX: Not a good start

I decided to try this product and bought a small bottle. About three weeks ago I purchase an 8oz bottle to try. I primed the empty black water tank with a few gallons of water and a couple of ounces of RX. The following weekend we took the trailer out and filled the black tank to about 1/3 full. Used plenty of water. Drove the trailer back home. This weekend we camped at a full hookup site. The trailer for the past two weeks has been sitting in our front yard driveway. Temperatures getting up as high as the low 80s some days.

When we arrived at the campground this weekend and after backing in I opened the trailer door and was met with the smell of sewer. Had that terrible feeling of a toilet tank overflow but not the case luckily. If TankTechsRX is supposed to kill odors it failed on this first use.

Wasn't sure what the issue was then I remembered I left a partially filled black tank. Not sure how sewer smells can enter the trailer while being towed.

I have a different style waste tank vents installed. They have good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7OEPPANZK6PN6F

so I'm not sure why went driving the smell wasn't siphoned off.

So I decided to air out the trailer and dump the tank. Unfortunately my black tank flush nozzle seems to be clogged. But the smell went away.

The next day, using a flush wand with a high speed jet I sprayed the inside of the tank. I ran the jet spray long enough to fill up the tank and dumped. It was at this time I discovered I couldn't get the black tank valve closed all the way. So I decided to open the tank, with a 5 gal bucket under it the drain, and spray up into the tank some water. When I released the sewer hose I found a sponge-like scrubbing pad in the drain pipe. The original owner must have accidently flushed it down.

I could shoot about a couple of gallons of water up into the black tank and when it flowed back out chucks of #2 came out. I'm not sure how having scrubbing pad affected the drainage but I guess my power flush took dislodged it and some hard debris.

Since I had a 1/2 a bottle left of TankTechsRX I've decided to give it another go. Primed the tank again and used it over the weekend, didn't dump it and drove home. No odor in the trailer after parking. Next trip is in two weeks to Yellowstone.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Wellford , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Although I haven't tried it yet, I think the RX is a good idea. Planning on purchasing some soon. As a response to the lingering smell, I think I saw on one video that they recommend using it in your grey tank as well as black tank. They discovered that a bad odor may also enter the RV that way.
__________________
LewTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
Rawn77's Avatar
 
2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 211
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
So, I've returned to using TankTechs RX.

I find it does the best job of liquefying the solids; however, you do get a whiff of rotten egg/sulfur when the temperatures are north of 85.
Best to use the bathroom exhaust prior to toilet use; this helps keep odors out of the main living areas.
The smell is not horrific so I'm putting up with it to get the other advantages.

It's a good idea to use in the gray tanks as well. You will build up an oily residue in your tank without it.

Ron
__________________
Ron
Montreal, QC

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I decided to try this product and bought a small bottle. About three weeks ago I purchase an 8oz bottle to try. I primed the empty black water tank with a few gallons of water and a couple of ounces of RX. The following weekend we took the trailer out and filled the black tank to about 1/3 full. Used plenty of water. Drove the trailer back home. This weekend we camped at a full hookup site. The trailer for the past two weeks has been sitting in our front yard driveway. Temperatures getting up as high as the low 80s some days.

When we arrived at the campground this weekend and after backing in I opened the trailer door and was met with the smell of sewer. Had that terrible feeling of a toilet tank overflow but not the case luckily. If TankTechsRX is supposed to kill odors it failed on this first use.

Wasn't sure what the issue was then I remembered I left a partially filled black tank. Not sure how sewer smells can enter the trailer while being towed.

I have a different style waste tank vents installed. They have good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7OEPPANZK6PN6F

so I'm not sure why went driving the smell wasn't siphoned off.

So I decided to air out the trailer and dump the tank. Unfortunately my black tank flush nozzle seems to be clogged. But the smell went away.

The next day, using a flush wand with a high speed jet I sprayed the inside of the tank. I ran the jet spray long enough to fill up the tank and dumped. It was at this time I discovered I couldn't get the black tank valve closed all the way. So I decided to open the tank, with a 5 gal bucket under it the drain, and spray up into the tank some water. When I released the sewer hose I found a sponge-like scrubbing pad in the drain pipe. The original owner must have accidently flushed it down.

I could shoot about a couple of gallons of water up into the black tank and when it flowed back out chucks of #2 came out. I'm not sure how having scrubbing pad affected the drainage but I guess my power flush took dislodged it and some hard debris.

Since I had a 1/2 a bottle left of TankTechsRX I've decided to give it another go. Primed the tank again and used it over the weekend, didn't dump it and drove home. No odor in the trailer after parking. Next trip is in two weeks to Yellowstone.

Kelvin
Returned from GTNP and Yellowstone. Stayed at Colter Bay RV Park with full hookups for 4 days. There were 3 of us using the toilet. Prior to leaving for Yellowstone we dumped the black tank and I primed the black tank with TanktechRX. No odors. 7 days at Grant the black tank was about 2/3 full so dumped for the trip home. 3 days to get home using the toilet and didn't dump. The Airstream was in storage for two weeks and no odor. We are camping this weekend, temperatures in the 80s and everytime we flush there is an odor. Black tank is 1/4 to 1/3 full. Really wanted this product to work but its not eliminating the odor after the black tank has sat for a couple of weeks.

Kelvin
__________________

__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.