Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
On my 71 and 73 the sensors, clock, thermometer didn't work when I got the coaches and I never bothered to try to fix them. Seemed more effort than it was worth at least to me. Someday I will stick something that fits and does something in the clock and thermometer holes

I notice all the other posts are from, at least what I would call, late model units. What's up with that? Anybody who has a vintage coach have working guages and sensors, and what's the secret?
My '72 has a fresh and a black guage that do work, of course grey is non-existent. The black had one level indicator that didn't work when I got it, loose wire at the sensor.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
My '72 has a fresh and a black guage that do work, of course grey is non-existent. The black had one level indicator that didn't work when I got it, loose wire at the sensor.
Dave
Fryzowt, do you mean the panel end or tank end?

If tank end, did you have to remove belly skin?

Thanx, Bill
Old 05-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Fryzowt, do you mean the panel end or tank end?

If tank end, did you have to remove belly skin?

Thanx, Bill
Tank end. Mine is accessable through the water heater/closet area. Being a '72 the black tank is above the floor.
Dave
Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Tank end. Mine is accessable through the water heater/closet area. Being a '72 the black tank is above the floor.
Dave
Thanx Fryzowt, any 80's vintage out there been through this?

Bill
Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
89 monitor panel

Well after some more analysis I still am no better off. I get resistance in the wires but the panel still reads "E" for black-grey-fresh. Battery level works fine.
Does this mean the board is toast?
Is there a source for this board (1989)?

Thanx, B
Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I have no info to add about older systems but in my 05 I had to replace the fresh water sensor a coulpe of weeks ago. After pulling it out, part of the clear sensor cover had caved in. It was bear to pull out and put a new one in. An unnamed technician had a 5 gallon tank with a sensor that we used to recalibrate the system. All worked fine until this past weekend when we went to West Va.. None of the tank sensors worked right. Then I remembered pulling out the batteries for cleaning and recalibrating the Actibrake controler for my new Hays Genisis controler. Im wondering if when you take the power off the panel, the system needs to be recalibrated. If so Im going to make my own bypass calibration tank.
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #27
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
I have no info to add about older systems but in my 05 I had to replace the fresh water sensor a coulpe of weeks ago. After pulling it out, part of the clear sensor cover had caved in. It was bear to pull out and put a new one in. An unnamed technician had a 5 gallon tank with a sensor that we used to recalibrate the system. All worked fine until this past weekend when we went to West Va.. None of the tank sensors worked right. Then I remembered pulling out the batteries for cleaning and recalibrating the Actibrake controler for my new Hays Genisis controler. Im wondering if when you take the power off the panel, the system needs to be recalibrated. If so Im going to make my own bypass calibration tank.
Good idea, it won't hurt anything...so I will try to "reboot" my system tonight.

Thanx, Bill
Old 07-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The black tank sensor problem is notorious. Simple solution - paint a 3' long stick white and mark it 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4. You won't need to mark it "full" since the visible sludge in the toilet will clearly indicate the last measurement! Dip the stick in the toilet and read the measurement. Afterwards you'll find that the clothers closet makes a convenient place to hang the stick to dry. On the classics, the cedar lining almost completely hides the odor.

For the record the only time my black water sensor ever reads correct is before the first trip each season - with an empty tank!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sorry Cracker, not in my clothes closet
Dave
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resorts
Then I remembered pulling out the batteries for cleaning and recalibrating the Actibrake controler for my new Hays Genisis controler. Im wondering if when you take the power off the panel, the system needs to be recalibrated. If so Im going to make my own bypass calibration tank.
That shouldn't be an issue. I pull the batteries out every year when I winterize and I've never had to recalibrate. You still might have a faulty panel. You might give the Catcon folks a call. Don't forget it's still within its 5 year warranty.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
On my 71 and 73 the sensors, clock, thermometer didn't work when I got the coaches and I never bothered to try to fix them. Seemed more effort than it was worth at least to me. Someday I will stick something that fits and does something in the clock and thermometer holes

I notice all the other posts are from, at least what I would call, late model units. What's up with that? Anybody who has a vintage coach have working guages and sensors, and what's the secret?
Don't know any secrets , my '76 has always worked fairly accurate . Below each gauge on the panel there is a small hole with an adjustment screw for fine tuning . In my Service Manual there are 2 pages of checks and adjustment of the gauges and probes including resistor values . Because of there location ( at the tank ) I would suspect corrosion at the wire connection to the probe to be a problem or a bad resistor . Good luck

PS If you are going to chuck your thermometer I'd like to experiment with repairing one .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Where are the inventors and technical wizards???

Think its time to reinvent this wheel. One would think there is a way to improve on the sensing technology in these tanks.

Our black water sensor has never worked and I would like to come up with a way of monitoring it without the problematic conventional method.

Lets have some ideas!!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #33
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Well guess what? It must be my turn. As noted black and grey sensors work OK most of the time. I have never had problems with my Fresh tank gauge...until this weekend!
Worked fine 2 weeks ago. Fill up this weekend...nothing, still reads "E". Never lit up all weekend.
As you can guess, black and grey are not really a big deal.
Fresh water however, is a little more critical!
Any ideas?
You can't really put any cleaners in your fresh...
I guess I could do the ice cube thing next time?

Thanx, Bill
Bill-

We have been having the same problem in our Safari. Airstream had replaced and reset the panel but problem still exists. We get a flashing red light at about 1/2 empty/full. Very scarry the first time it failed and we were boondocking! We have just resigned ourselves that it will never be right.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Where are the inventors and technical wizards???

Think its time to reinvent this wheel. One would think there is a way to improve on the sensing technology in these tanks.

Our black water sensor has never worked and I would like to come up with a way of monitoring it without the problematic conventional method.

Lets have some ideas!!!!
Well the technology did change but obviously it still has some problems. The current sensor technology is vastly superior to the old foil sensors that were used in the older tanks. For all intents contents of the tank cannot deteriorate the sensors. The old ice cube treatment will not do a thing for you.

As having a trailer that now has been used for four seasons. All of my tanks are still sensing correctly including the black water....and most of you know that in the older technology, that tank almost universally had sensor problems from the point you started using it.

If you are still having the problem then the dealer hasn't done their job. The system does work, but question lies as to whether the dealer did the recalibration correctly. If he did, and the panel is OK, then the problem lies directly with the wiring or the sensor.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Bad sensors

We've had our Bambi SE since last October. After our last outing, our fresh water sensor stopped "reporting" all together! The black water sensor has also been erratic. Now, only grey and black water + battery status report. That did it! I've got an appointment with a local Airstream repair place tomorrow to replace the panel. The repair shop is well-aware of the sensor issue, and doesn't have a lot of confidence in the factory standard response: "We're working on it" (!).

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Looks like someone was thinking "out of the box" with this idea. The sensor resides externally. Anyone try this system?

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-4P
Old 07-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Ah hah! I've got it! If the vent stack goes straight down into the black tank we'll just drop a light weight rod - with a flotation bulb on the end - right down into the tank. We'll mark the top of the rod with the tank levels, where it projects out of the vent stack, and, Eureka! - we have the solution! This, of course, overcomes my original problem of having to put the "stinky" stick in the closet to dry! I think that a red flag flying from the stick would be very attractive! This could start a whole new rally game - and solve the age old problem of trying to figure out if your neighbor is really full of it!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #38
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I've written before about how I think the tank sensor system sucks on AS's. I have not wasted much time on trying to correct the issue only because everything I've read either doesn't work or works only temporarily.

Our latest fiasco is now when I press the check button, the only tank it checks is the fresh water. It does that for a few more actuations, and finally I get lucky and it reads fresh, black, gray, and battery.

All of the readings are off. We rarely use this thing and wish there was a credit you could get from the company if you decide to order a trailer WITHOUT this set up.

Pardon my sewer vent....

Jonathan
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Looks like someone was thinking "out of the box" with this idea. The sensor resides externally. Anyone try this system?

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-4P
Our 2004 CCD had this sensor system. It always worked. Our 2008 has the same one everyone complains about and I found out last week that our black tank sensor only reports empty regardless of the volume in it.

I was disappointed when I saw our new one didn't have the SeeLevel system.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
our black, grey, and freshwater tank sensor hasn't worked a full day in it's lifetime.

My father said one day "I fixed it!". He just turned the POS off. I may calibrate this year and see if I can get it working.

b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote