Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Tank in Frame

Any advantage to putting the fresh water tank up front in the frame rails.
It is now behind the gaucho inside 65 Ambie 30 gal.I have to replace it anyway(unrepairable crack).
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
with the tank below floor level there is more chance of freezing problems. That may not be improtant depending on ur travel style
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

You can get about 35 gallons or so into a 25" x 57" space, which you should have under there. The trade-off may not be worth the effort for an additional 5 gallons. You would need to cut or drop the bellypan and add some rails to hold the tank up, plus some plumbing would need to be done. If the space in the gaucho is not needed for other storage, I would get a replacement tank and put it in the same place it was. You might even find that you can fit a slightly larger tank in the gaucho.
It makes good sense to add a grey water tank into these older units, and that's a great use for the under-floor space. That's all I plan on adding down there.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Tank

I had to replace the tank in my 65 Safari for the same reason & thought about doing what you are thinking about. I felt that it would be way too much effort so I opted for a much smaller (20 gal.) tank that was rectangle but shorter to fit the space. A custom tank that would match the original was 4 times the money. We will just watch water usage when boondocking......Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I just added a gray between the frame of my 68 which got me to thinking about the possibility of adding an extra tank to the 68. I think you would be doing good to get much more than a 20 gallon tank there without dropping below the belly pan though. There a bunch of tank vendors out there and there are lots of goofy shaped tanks, so with some searching you might find something bigger.

The point about freeze potential is a good one. If I add an axuallary tank, I will plump so it can be cut off from the system in cold weather and run dry. Other than that insulation is about all you can do unless you want to run heating ducting to it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I looked at www.incaplastics.com for a grey tank. They have a great variety of tanks available, as do a few others. The grey tanks have a little more capacity then a fresh water tank would due to the drop for draining it, but you could still get 30 gallons I think.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote