Old 10-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
grass valley , California
When I bought my 1961 bambi there was a 20 gallon tank under the kitchen sink that was used as a gray tank for the sink. I took it out and hooked everything up to original. I now use a blue boy and it works great. My goal as to put everything back to original. There are a lot of great ideas here. The pan on the bambi is tough to get off so I didn't look to closely at the between frame models.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 10-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
If you put a gray tank under the fridge, which I think is clever, I would maintain the drain in a different spot than the black tank.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Thanks for chiming in, thinktank. So what WAS the original configuration of black water discharge unit (how did kitchen, venting, and shower tie in?). Did you connect the bottom of the vent tube or leave it open? Did you connect shower?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
I have a few pictures of the back plumbing on my blog bambiairstream.com. My email address is scottleaman@hotmail.com if you want to talk offline. Sometimes that is easier.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Try emailing or calling to Vintage Trailer Supply about the belly tank placement in the older Bambi, & they may have someone who's done it.

On our `60 (`61 MY) Avion T20 (sim. to AS19-20') I'll probably locate it between the galley & bath just forward of the gray dump valve - which is on the forward side, with the pedestal black tank under the toilet to the rear of the dump outlet. I'll eventually need to do belly pan re-riveting/repair anyway, so that's the time to do it.

BTW - the VTS tank is 16 gal each & 3-7/8" hi - here's their link:
Gray Water Tank 50"

They also have a bit larger one here that may fit:
Gray Tank 5" Chassis Frame

While the under bed & other above floor options are good, if you're going into the belly pans anyway, IMHO it's best to let gravity do the work & simplify without the extra pumps & valves.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 10-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
The shower should have been tied into the gathering assembly attached to the bottom of the black water valve. The main challenge is the shower pan is at floor level - it is not raised up. It makes it almost impossible to hook it into an added gray tank. You need to have a little elevation for water flow. I am looking at a design for my 73 that is gutted for a barrier free shower - but that will take raising the bath floor and inch or two just to get proper water flow. Not sure you can get enough flow height with the original set up.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
It seems, as others have suggested, that if I want the shower to drain into a grey water tank, it will have to be pumped up into the tank.

Adding a grey tank under the floor in a 61 Bambi is not easy - lots of space issues. The clearance between floor and belly is very small, so it would involve cutting out part of the belly skin and having a handy-down. Wouldn't be so bad, but gas lines would have to be re-routed, among other challenges.

It's not terribly important to me for the shower to go to a grey tank, so I will be reattaching it to the downstream side of the black water valve and live with it. If we are in a park, we'll be hooked up to stinky slinky anyway. If boon docking and in public view, I will stick a bucket underneath the discharge when showering. Lots of good uses for shower water in a bucket - put out a camp fire before leaving, clean up after cleaning fish, etc. or will just dump it off onto the ground when no one is looking. It's shower water, for goodness sakes! They DON'T want me showering outside in public view, that I can be certain of.

I have the black tank ordered through VTS and after I install it, I will reconfirm measurements and then order the grey tank. I will post pics of final assembly when completed. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and information.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
One thing I haven't seen in any of your diagrams are traps. You need these for odor control on the sink and shower. If I missed something in an earlier post my bad.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Tank design - will this work??

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayling View Post
Adding a grey tank under the floor in a 61 Bambi is not easy - lots of space issues. The clearance between floor and belly is very small, so it would involve cutting out part of the belly skin and having a handy-down.

Should have read "hangy-down"

There will be a p trap under sink. There is also an existing vent stack that both black and grey tanks will vent to.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
In 1961 (And I bet ANY YEAR), AS never put gray water into the black water tank! A PO did that! Just a heads up...
I am considering adding a Gray water tank for just the kitchen sink. VERY simple setup to make happen. It would be kind of nice as traveling to have water at a sink.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
The PO ran the shower water to the black tank dump assembly below the black water valve. The grey water discharge was run close to the same assembly below the black water valve, but connection was missing. Since there was only 1 place where a 1 1/2 inch pipe came in to the dump assembly below the valve, I don't know if it was originally the sink that ran into the assembly, or originally the shower. One of them dumped on the ground, as there is no way they joined up before entering assembly.

Nothing entered the black water tank above the valve, except vent tube inside the trailer.

This is my final design and the grey tank is being shipped soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414599885.235383.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	225357

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414599927.479058.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	225358
Old 10-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
For clarification, the sink you see in drawing is the kitchen sink. The grey water tank will be below kitchen counter. This is a little trailer, with combined toilet/shower and no bathroom sink.