Old 01-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Styrofoam vendor?

The styrofoam supporting my black water tank is severely water-logged, and has to be replaced. The problem is I can't find this type of styrofoam anywhere around town. It is the same type of styrofoam that both disposable coffee cups are made of, and comes preformed around just about anything you buy that comes in a box.

Walmart and Hobby Lobby only sell the crumbly type suitable for (I guess) flower arrangements.

Does anyone know a site I can order the type styrofoam I need ?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Re: Styrofoam vendor?

Quote:
Originally posted by tcwilliams
The styrofoam supporting my black water tank is severely water-logged, and has to be replaced. The problem is I can't find this type of styrofoam anywhere around town. It is the same type of styrofoam that both disposable coffee cups are made of, and comes preformed around just about anything you buy that comes in a box.

Walmart and Hobby Lobby only sell the crumbly type suitable for (I guess) flower arrangements.

Does anyone know a site I can order the type styrofoam I need ?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom, can you use the expanding foam in a can?
If you are worried about the foam becoming permanently attached to the tank, you could always place a sheet of waxed paper under the tank, to keep it from sticking to the foam. It would have the added benefit of helping keep your tank from moving around.
Terry

Old 01-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

marine and building supply stores

To add to the previous post that is right on, I would suggest a closed cell foam and then it would not accept water so it couldn't get waterlogged.

If you are determined to use styrofoam, it is available in most building supply stores and is commonly also used as precut dropped ceiling type of tiles so it would be available as a sheet in that way and if not thick or big enough could be cut and glued to size....lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Argosy 20 has the right idea, besides, the polyurethane foam has superior insulation value compared to styrofoam.
Dick
Old 01-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I like the expanding polyurethane foam. The problem I've had in the past is the stuff expanding more than I was expecting. In my woodworking, I've seen this stuff expand & pop trim pieces loose.

I may end up going with the foam, but my comport level is to start with a layer of styrofoam, and build the angles up with foam. But, if I can't buy the right kind of styrofoam, my path is somewhat dictated.

But, I sure appreciate the responses - This forum has been very good to me.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Also look at the Thermax while you are there, it won't fall apart like styrofoam. I used it under the floor and around the tanks

John
Old 01-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Question What are Polystyrenes

If your insulation is getting water soaked it is because it is probably expanded polystyrene (molded bead board). Styrofoam is extruded closed cell polystyrene manufactured by Dow Chemical. "Styrofoam" is the trademark name for Dow's extruded polystyrene. It is blue in color. Styrofoam is often used generically for many insulation boards unknowingly by people similar to the way people say Kleenex. So don't get confused.

"Certifoam" (yellow color) is another brand of extruded polystyrene that can be used. There is another brand of extruded polystyrene that is pink in color that can also be used.

So, if you are looking for board insulations look for extruded polystyrene or closed cell polyurenthane boards. Molded bead board will soak up water between the beads.

If you use a spray foam, use only brands labeled as polyurethane or polyurea. They generally are a yellow color. There are other brands of spray foam that are white in color. They generally are absolutely worthless. Before you use any spray foam you might want to test it in a bucket of water to see if it soaks up the water.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by tcwilliams
I like the expanding polyurethane foam. The problem I've had in the past is the stuff expanding more than I was expecting. In my woodworking, I've seen this stuff expand & pop trim pieces loose.

I may end up going with the foam, but my comport level is to start with a layer of styrofoam, and build the angles up with foam. But, if I can't buy the right kind of styrofoam, my path is somewhat dictated.

But, I sure appreciate the responses - This forum has been very good to me.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom, when I pulled out my black tank, I put in the dense compressed insulation foam (it comes in pink and blue). It is about 1/2" thick, cuts well, and doesn't leave styrofoam "snow" everywhere when you cut it. This stuff was about $12.00/sheet, one sheet was enough with some extra to put in the front window when the trailer was not in use.
terry