Old 06-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pilgrim_still
Source for Thetford valve?

1973, 31', SLY, rear bath -- retrieved from 10-12 years of neglect
aka M&MT (Mildew & Mouse Turds)

Noting rust in the inside-the-rear-bumper storage compartment, I investigated. At the present time, the rear bumper is off (only had to drill-out two of the four bolts) and the underbelly skin is loosened forward for about six feet. The angle iron supports are rusted, especially the most rearward one. The only rust on the galvanized pan under the holding tank is where it is in contact with the angle irons. The frame of the trailer and the frame crossmembers seem fine -- just some light surface rust.

I plan to "treat" the rusted angle irons with a great product I get from Gemplers farm supply (recommended for honey wagons!). For support I plan to insert two pieces of strap iron (1/4 x 2) and rest them on the lower shelf of the frame. I'll spot weld them in place. I have some very think plastic I'll put between the galvanized pan and the supports (both the angle irons and the strap iron).

Before I do all this, I thought I should check out the integrity of the tank (black water only on this model). The PO had assured me that "everything works", specifically mentioning the holding tank. Well, considering the proven lack of veracity of that statement with all the other systems, I filled the tank, after providing support with a large piece of 3/4" plywood and a car jack. Great! The tank does not leak -- but, the Thetford valve does! I removed all the plumbing retrograde to the valve and the gasket is old, dry and cracking. Even after cleaning with a toothbrush, the gate won't adequately seat in the gasket.

So, I called Inland for the part, but the young lady needed their part number...promised to call me back. I've tried other sites, including Thetford corporation, but can't seem to find the valve.
It is Thetford, 01447 Slide E-Z Valve, D.W.V., IAPMO, T-1169.

I assume I need the entire valve system, rather than just a gasket set. Anyone know of a source?

Oh, yes, I threw the toothbrush away.

"Preserve Game - Use a Trained Dog"
pilgrim_still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Most RV places will offer a seal kit. The main thing you need is the number off the valve, it makes a difference if the valve blade is metal or plastic. You split the valve by loosening the screws and replace the gasket and seals. I think I paid 15.00 or so for the seal kit.

The bag that the seal kit is in lists the valve numbers it fits, so a bit of looking will benifit you by saving the cost of a valve and the associated plumbing work.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Talking Thetford valve

Your in luck!! I just got done with the dozens of phone calls and emails to find just the source your looking for.
Call American Way R.V center in Boise Idaho. 1-800-345-6651. Fantastic people and very quick in shipping. They we're the only place that I could find that had that exact same valve your looking for. Even new in the package !
You may want to look at the threads reguarding removal of the valve seeing as you may need a few more replacement parts for the repair like I did. Somewhere along the line someone A.B.S glued all the fittings together in my Minuet including the Valve assembly and into the tank. So needless to say I had to cut and break out most of the parts and replace them.
Good Luck
Old 06-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Talking Part number

I grabbed my paperwork. The Airstream part number for the T-01447 is 008706 (Got that through Airstream) The valve was $42.19 with $5.95 shipping to Washington.
Good luck again
Old 06-27-2003, 07:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Just a word of caution. Mouse dropping from the deer mouse may contain hantavirus. see this thread for more info

http://www.airforums.com/forum...?threadid=4343
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 02:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

thanks

ericandterry,
Thanks very much for the info. I called American RV and ordered the valve. At least, I think it is the correct one. Their salesman said the valve should have a label with more info on it than I was giving him. However, he seemed to have the correct valve (it is tough to see over the phone!).

My shop vac has a long hose. I can vacuum inside the TT with the exhaust outside the trailer. We have no evidence of any recent rodent activity, so I am comfortable that the hanta virus risk is minimal. Thanks for the warning.

Raining here today...can't work on the A/S...sigh.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
but... but... but... you live in Waterproof. Why would rain be a problem?
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

- oxymoron

Waterproof, Louisiana is the greatest example of an oxymoron I know!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

progress

My Thetford valve has arrived and is ready to install. Thanks ericandterry.

When I removed the old valve, the flange to the tank came off. A previous "repair" by a PO had used a radiator clamp and a putty-like substance (I said "putty-like", not "potty-like"). A local plumbing supply store employee suggested using Oatey All Purpose Cement (for PVC, ABS, CPVC) to replace the flange in the tank.

What is the forum's opinion?

tia,