Old 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"why do none of them invest in disposable surgical gloves to wear while dumping their tanks like I did"

their poop is cleaner than yours?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I will go to their website and check the price. I have used the Sewer Solution since 2005 and am now on my third one.... only because when I rolled poor old "foiled" in June I chose not to salvage the one in the bumper. (The thought of even a little smell permeating all of the other stuff we were dumping in boxes and hauling to the truck or the UPS store... Cheaper by far to buy another new one than try to deodorize half of my stuff.)

The one I abandoned was only slightly more than a year old. The new one I got has some slight differences that actually look like improvements to me - mainly the part that drops into the sewer opening - it's threaded and much easier to adapt to different sized drain holes. I don't have the clear extension that fits on the trailer. I do have 10 extra feet of hose, though most of the time one length is fine.

I don't use rubber gloves - but I DO wash my hands thoroughly after I pull the SS off and rinse it. OK - I'm a solo fulltimer. I don't use rubber gloves when I am seated in the "oval office" so why worry when it's "different day, same sh**?" I've taken to keeping a container of liquid soap in the bumper compartment.

My new Eddie Bauer came with a top of the line slinky. It was even a Virgin! I gave it away to a friend. The slinky is faster for a big gray tank dump, but I've not yet encountered a situation where I've held up the line at the dump station. However if you're at a campground with some spots that are water & electric, and others are water, electric and sewer.... and it's 3 am on a moonless rainy night and you're within 30 feet of a vacant 3 point space who would notice if a green 1 inch hose trailed gently across the spaces for 10 minutes or so?

About the "mascerating" part of the SS. It's water pressure through a small orifice (a glorified super soaker water gun). It's also not needed every time you drain your tanks. You CAN get a big plug of toilet paper or find "the captain's log" and the mascerator is necessary for those things. 90% of the time you don't need to mascerate anything to completely drain your tanks. If you use paper that dissolves easily and everyone who uses your facilities eats enough fiber, and you wait a couple of hours after the last donation to the black tank - the stuff is all dissolved and just flows out with little to no drama. If you're parked you can always crank up the stabilizers, and rock the trailer back and forth with the jackpost to dissolve and mix the contents before releasing the stored waste. Cleaning up the bottom of the tank and the hose to a germ-free state? Why worry if you're taking it out next weekend. Now if you're storing it for the winter is time to get the flusher and the mascerator involved!

I dump the black, dump the gray to clear the hose, then shut the gate and detach the SS from the trailer and rinse it.

I heartily endorse this product. Paula

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have had mine for 5-6 years and really like it. I do carry a slinky for a quick dump at dump stations as the SS is slower to use. BUT if there is long line at the 'dump' I just take it home and dump there with the SS. I got an extra 10' of hose for travel and for home I add 20' of PVC to reach a house clean-out......up and over part of our deck. Works for me...

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I don't use rubber gloves - but I DO wash my hands thoroughly after I pull the SS off and rinse it. OK - I'm a solo fulltimer. I don't use rubber gloves when I am seated in the "oval office" so why worry when it's "different day, same sh**?" I've taken to keeping a container of liquid soap in the bumper compartment.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't always use the gloves, either. Now that I know a macerator pump tends to be very clean to use. However, I check out the dump station to see if the previous users cleaned up their messes first, then decide whether to break out the gloves. There have been a couple of times that the area around the dump station has been literally filthy with other people's… filth. Some people aren't considerate enough to clean up after themselves. Probably the same people who don't understand quiet hours or other basic rules of campground etiquette…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think having watch the vids with SS, as long as you are not going to get your hands directly on copious amounts of fecal material, on your fingertips/fingernails etc...and it appears that with SS, the likelihood of such is very low...as such washing your hands just the same thoroughly as doing so after using the restroom likely is all the same....

BUT - I probably will most of the times use gloves - I think there is a subjective difference about emptying the waste in this manner that guides folks....

I also dont wear gloves after changing horrific diapers of my children...this probably compared to me going number 2 or dumping the black tank much much more likely to get me contaminated!

EEWWWWW - people leave their S$%$t etc on the ground....does not surprise me....*shaking my head*

Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well, I have a surge protector, a sewer solution....but no airstream yet....

T minus 2 months....ish...

Ive never been so excited to dump S%$&t in my life lol

Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
I did get an audible chuckle out of that pharm!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
I did get an audible chuckle out of that pharm!
laughing is good!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Foiled Again - note also that I believe there is a macerator pump between my unit's head and the black tank...so ive been told....im guessing that my "stuff" comes out pretty chewed up already too...so that should minimize any blocking up of the ss hose..

Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
adding to my goodies ordered today...a digital tire pressure gage..and a copy of "the long long trailer" on DVD....have not seen the movie actually...should get a few laughs...

So far crap Ive bought ive kept minimal in anticipation of my trailer...only things so far are these purchases, surge protector (progressive industries 50amp portable)....and I have an amazon wish list of a bunch of necessities...

although this feels like a bit of an impulse buy...although ive been reading about it for a while and most owners seem quite happy on many forums...
LOL- I guess everybody goes through the "stages".
I have a digital tire pressure gauge.
We have "The Long, Long Trailer" on DVD.
We love to watch it in the trailer.
I can't believe you've never seen it!
You must! You shall! You will!
That movie is a reflection of what you have and will go through with a trailer.
We also have "RV" with Robin Williams.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've been using my SS for the first time this past week or two and overall I'm happy with it.

The few times I've had a sewer hookup at a campground it's invariably been an uphill run, especially when you see how low the AS waste tanks outlet is compared to most other RVs, so the slinky has been useless. So, I bought the SS, and hose extension, and used it this last week. The first issue was that I couldn't get it to fit in any other position than upside-down. Either the SS inlet or SS outlet was snagged by the black tank valve or the close proximity of the ground. No problem I thought, only the darned thing leaks around the rubber washers on the jet swivel thingy. By moving things around a bit I did manage to get it on at the 3 O'clock position on the outlet, which was better but it still leaked a little. I'd imagine it'll only work properly when it's upright.

I guess that the extension tube would solve my problem so that will be my next purchase.

On the positive side, its black tank flushing ability is excellent, especially as the latest batch of supposed RV toilet paper we bought just doesn't dissolve properly. The whole process of dumping (without the leaks) has been quite clean and the system is easy to clean up before you unhook it. The extension hose has been handy, too, because one of the runs was quite long, and of course it's good not to have to stop at the dump station on the way out of the campground.

When I get the extension tube it'll be perfect.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Good info - ill be ordering the extension - 8 bucks on amazon...

M.hony - movie review later next week - damn "super saver shipping"

Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Works for quieting the buttwipes next door

I've had my SS for at least 5 years. works great.
I really like the fact that it may be used sort of like a flame thrower. When the buttwipes in the next site are giving you some $hit late after quiet time it's pretty easy to hook up the devise , turn on the water hose fully and aim the business end of the 1"hose at the target. works for me.
altho the fines associated with such behavior are excessive, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
I recommend a garden hose splitter for everyone, how many times have you pulled up to the dump station . 2 drains and one water bib.
I also carry a spray bottle of diluted bleach to disinfect the crime scene
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have the Y connector and spray bottle on my list....there were a bunch of different y - connectors....any recommends there? I just picked a brass one with little levers that open/close....have not bought quite yet...

Amazon.com: Nelson 50312 Brass Dual Outlet Hose Adapter: Patio, Lawn & Garden