Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have to admit I, and I believe many others, camp to get away from the preponderance of Do Gooders that want to regulate my life. In Jersey I cannot have a rare hamburger. I cannot burn my leaves. For a while I could not order runny egg, we did get that one overturned. They now are working to have my dog in a seat belt.

I camp to get away from this insanity for a short period of time.
But now the Do Gooders have followed me into the woods. Some want to eliminate campfires. My dog has to be leased. I can no longer use a gofer hole. And god forbid if I don’t back flush and sweeten my holding tanks.

It used to be these questionable regulations were the result of knee jerk reaction to the latest news item. Certain groups have recognized this and now manage the news towards a given agenda. Any minor statistical aberration can be blown up and presented to the public to cause the public, having no knowledge on the subject other than what hey have just been feed, to demand a regulation.

I called the Marin County offices last week to question this regulation but all numbers resulted in a message and no call back. I guess the surf was up.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
My dog has to be leased.
I like dogs, but it a pain to travel with them. Next time I'm in Jersey I might lease one just to have one around for a few days. I commend NJ for this new effort to promote tourism. Maybe instead of the Garden State it could be called the Safe State. Seniors like safety—maybe New Jersey, the Safe Retirement State

I don't think you can pump gas either in NJ, just like Oregon. And you have to clean the snow off the roof of your vehicle so it doesn't fly off when you're driving and whack someone behind you.

Sorry Howie, typos can be so much fun and we need more of that.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #63

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been camping in New Jersey on several different occasions in recent years, and I was aware of the can't pump your own gas there. Our trip to the Garden State last year was our first one with the Duramax. I pulled up to the diesel pump and waited for service. No one showed up. I finally walked over to an employee pumping gas at another island. He told in very curt New Jersey fashion that they didn't pump diesel; "it's too dirty".

As to the Dog Lease program, can you lease one at a gas station or do you have to go to a special Dog Rental Station?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Gene

Touche

This is not a typo, my computer can't put the "thingie" over the e

Brian

Without pirating the tread I will just say New Jersey has the best politicians money can buy.

Now back to the stinky slinky.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post
I got a citation from a City Inspector in Marin County, CA to prove it.
This tended to lend credence to the original question. With that in mind I called Marin County, and yes they have returned my call. Marin County says they have no campgrounds that offer any form of hookups, dry camping only. Could you have been in a City park?

Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #66
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I ran into the same issue one time at a diesel pump. When I inquired I was told that here in good 'ole New Jersey ( where you cannot pump your own gas) that if the diesel pump is on a stand alone island it CAN BE self service. I have encountered this regularly at one Hess station but most places I fuel they do pump it for us.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #67
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't bought gas in NJ in many, many years and when I did, probably back in the 1960's, there was no self service. But in Oregon, where I have been recently, sometimes the pumper is busy or disappears so I just finish it myself. So far I have escaped prison for this. I haven't seen any dog leasing there.

As for touché, my computer is better than yours. I think this is the level (on the ground I suppose) this thread has gotten to.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Interestingly the can't pump gas in Oregon caused an interesting issue. When we pulled in, all of our dogs reacted in a very hostile manner to the attendant. I blew it off as dog paranoia, but after that trip someone attempted to fraudulently use the credit card we use only for trips like that. Nipped that in the bud instantly, then remembered the dog incident. Interesting correlation. Next time I pay more attention to the dogs.

That is one thing we do--use a dedicated credit card with a very minimal balance on the road. I refill it as necessary from a banking app on my cell phone, and keep a close eye on transactions. The receipts go in the trip logbook and get kept for at least a year. I check the statement every couple days and have transaction sets that go to my cell phone so I can verify usage. That has caught several fraud attempts.

I no longer buy gas in Oregon if I can avoid it 😝

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #69
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
This tended to lend credence to the original question. With that in mind I called Marin County, and yes they have returned my call. Marin County says they have no campgrounds that offer any form of hookups, dry camping only. Could you have been in a City park?
There are three full-hookup RV Parks in Marin County. They are:
- Marin RV Park (415) 461-5199
- Golden Gate Trailer Park (415) 924-0683
- Novato RV Park (800) 733-6787

I have stayed at all three. I got the citation while at Golden Gate Trailer Park, (several others did too). You can confirm that officials give out these citations by speaking with the owner at Golden Gate RV Park. Ask for Wally. I stayed only one night at Marin RV Park, so no time to get to know about this. I stayed for about 6 months at Novato RV Park and did not hear about anyone there getting a citation. This is not something I heard about, I and others received a warning citation, stating that the official would return in 1 week and any trailers not in conformance would be ticketed.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My comment referred to Marin County as a governmental body and it's parks. Yes there may be State, Federal, City, and Private parks in Marin County.

The Marin County Parks Supervisor I spoke to said they did not have any parks that offered hook ups and he was not aware of any State regulation on sewer hoses.

Now we are left with the possibility of City ordinances.

I will wait for the left coast to wake up and may call the above noted parks.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #71
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I would try the sheriffs office on compliance of registration, skirting, & sewer hookups. More of the mobile home side of things.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #72
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Howie. Methinks that you have toooooo much time on your hands.

Hope you both are well.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote