Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
langley , British Columbia
Shower hookup to grey tank

I have a 1965 caravel,,,i`m putting in the original bathroom unit ,,,i`ve picked up a grey tank that fits between the back cross rails and it hold 14 gallon,,,,i`m putting in an inlet on the side to take in the 2 sinks,,, and have a vent on the top corner ,,,and to drain the tank is quite easy,,,but i`m not sure about the shower drain,,,,since the tank is up against the plywood {5/8 in.} and the shower outlet is on the top side of the plywood,,,how do i make the hook-up and whats to stop the water from slopping back up thru the shower drain,,i`m told i can have a threaded or a smooth flange installed for the shower,,,i hope somebody can help,,,,,,,thanks keith
trout-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you don't do something you will get water sloshing back into the shower pan every time you accelerate of turn a corner.

Your options as I see it are to put in a gate valve between the shower and the gray tank, or a check valve.

A gate valve is something you would need to open and close whenever you used the shower.

I would put in a check valve. Use the plastic ones made for sump pumps, they come in various sizes with hose clamp ends. Buy them at your HD or Lowes for about $10.

I also put a stopper in the shower pan when hitting the road.

Here is a picture of how I did mine. The check valve is the blue & red item in the lower center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	utilruns002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	102549  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote