Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #41

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Mexray - I agree with your assessment of the Sewer Solution situation.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I found out that it IS considered illegal to use potable water to flush the black tank. YAWN - 99% of the time no one notices. I've always hooked up a "garden green" flush hose whenever I wanted to flush the tank - never had a "Y" set up with both hoses active from the same spigot.

Whenever I boondock I always fill my gray tank in three days - just cannot learn to do a real GI shower - besides I'm a big woman and have a lot more to rinse off! So I did something CHEAP to transfer gray water into the black water tank. I went to Home Depot and found a low volume water pump that is powered by a cordless drill... that same drill you can use for your stabilizer jacks. I cut two pieces of hose about three feet each and attached to each side of the pump. I take my shower with the plug in the drain, then pump my gray water into the toilet - takes a minute or two. Equalizing the filling of the tanks lets me go quite a bit longer without dumping and dilutes the stuff in the black tank.

Then one day it hit me - sh.... I could use that little pump to flush out the hose and tanks when I use the Sewer Solution. One five gallon dry wall bucket (I use an empty kitty litter bucket) filled with either potable or gray water... hook up the outlet hose from the pump into the flusher side of the Sewer Solution and drop the intake hose into the bucket, and I'm in business.

No one in the world even notices if you hook up a white hose to the built in tank sprayer on newer Airstreams. It's a gravity thing with that since the inlet is ABOVE the tank. If you're flushing from the drain side of the system... the "water police" may have a point that even with the best backflow protection something bad can happen. I still use my green car washing hose most of the time, but I can just as easily put 5 gallons of water in the bucket and pump it into the flusher side of the SS.

Paula - (east coast Paula)

Disclaimers:
  1. I fulltime - so I never need to super-clean a black tank for the winter or for a month between trips. It's not that I'm filthy, but realistic. I'll be using that tank within hours at the longest, so it doesn't have to pass a white glove inspection.
  2. I'm a freewheeler - no kids, few and infrequent guests. If you have 4 or more people "contributing" to the black tank's contents it could be more likely to have clogs in the line. I've never come near filling my black tank... and with good odor controlling chemicals I could probably go 3 weeks without emptying it. With a family of 4 or more clogs wouldn't dissolve if you have to drain the black tank every 3 days. A big family might need more than 5 gallons to move it all down the line.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #43
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
In my way of thinking, there's a bit too much concern in regard to the anti-siphon issue with regard to the SS...

The anti-siphon 'use' would ONLY come into play if ...you only turn ON the water to the SS when......if the supply pressure were to drop while the water is ON ....... but in any event .......

...that must be turned ON to activate.... when .... I turn the ball valve OFF, ... if there were a pressure failure while.... AND I would be there to turn OFF the valve, in any event, as I would see the SS wasn't getting any water pressure...

Mexray,

The only issue I have is there are way to many ifs, whens, onlys, and anys in your operating procedure.

You sound like you understand the risks of cross contamination and have thought out all the risks. It's not you that I'm worried about.

It's the one guy out of ten that doesn't understand backflow that worries me, the one who doesn't follow all the ifs, whens, and onlys and leaves behind a slug of contaminated water for the next guy, who might be me.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #44

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Paula,

If it is, in fact, illegal to flush an RV black tank with potable water, it would follow that the flushing system that Airstream builds into many of its trailers can not be legitimately utilized unless you have a pressurized non-pot water source.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
After reading this post, I just finished ordering a S.S. fo my AS. Pun intended.
And if MEXRAY will allow, I will build a simular container for the water hook up system. That is a simple solution to a bunch of conections.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I bought a macerator pump...

I decided to buy an electric macerator pump. I like the unit described here though. My thinking was swayed somewhat by the fact that I was able to buy one for $136.64 which included $10.65 for shipping it to me. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I was also impressed by how light and compact the pump actually is. I somehow thought it would be bigger. If anyone is interested here is where I got it:

Self-Priming Macerator Pump

I am now wondering if there would be some sense in mounting the pump in a portable way rather than permanently mounted. I could see using some quick disconnect fittings. I will have to think about that one a bit. By the way I decided to go with all 1-1/2" fittings on the new black and gray holding tanks that I bought. That could make it harder to drain the tanks by gravity I suppose but it should work nicely with the macerator pump I think. I will also have to think about whether or not to install some sort of tank cleaning fitting.

Malcolm
Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Claude...have at it...I looked for a plastic box long enough to house the inline water filter, and went from there...you'll see that I cut a hole for the OD of the filter so I could unscrew it for replacement...I use that same box to store all my spare water piping fittings, etc...

The hard part was finding the 3-way ball valve...I got it at Home Depot, Lowes, or Orchard Supply, can't remember which - maybe you can find it from one of them on line before you trek around town....

The rest of the stuff are common brass fittings, 1/2 NP to garden hose adapters, etc...I use those brass quick disconnect fittings from Harbor Freight, as they have them on sale avery couple of months...

It's a handy gadget and has worked well so far...

Another note...I have to reverse the handle on our SS from RH to LH in order to use it on our rear bath AS (see pics)...SS's literature says you remove the nozzle and change the handle to the other side - but guess what, that isn't the case, as the nozzle is slightly offset, as I found out...

I called SS for an explanation...the guy told me you CAN'T modify the handle in that manner in the field - their instruction sheet is in error!!! I was able to modify mine, but it wasn't easy - had to open up the notch the nozzle moves in with a drill, very carefully...SS told me I should have ordered the handle on the LEFT, but I didn't know it wouldn't fit until I got the unit and tried to install it!...

He did offer to have me return it and let them change it over, but I had already started to fix it myself - I wouldn't do it again, however, as it's easy to screw up the polycarbonate housing, so be forewarned about this 'handle' location situation...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #48

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
My previous post to this thread was one of skepticism but after using our sewer solution for the first time I must admit I'm impressed and officially converted.

Find some other "Dirty Job" Mike Rowe.

We'll keep the stinky slinky in the bumper storage for emergencies only.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #49
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
After having had the ss for a while I find that I only use it at full hookup sites and not at dump stations. At dump stations, it's more fiddly and time consuming than the slinky.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
After 2yrs. Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
After having had the ss for a while I find that I only use it at full hookup sites and not at dump stations. At dump stations, it's more fiddly and time consuming than the slinky.
After 2 yrs. exp. w/my 1st AS, 25' Safari FB, I learned some lessons about waste management.

1. Don't let a pyramid build! Ask your guests to fill the bowl partially with water before flushing toilet paper.

2. Don't dump your black tank right after leaving your camp site. Driving a distance will agitate the tank preventing any blockage or build ups. It is much better to dump at the next campground. Fortunately my RV storage site has a dump with non-potable water flush.

3. I've used the Sewer Solution from the start and would not trade it for anything. For the price and easy operation (clean) it can't be beat.

Happy trails!
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Oops! I forgot to mention 3R ODOR-CON. It is the best product on the market I've used to control black/grey holding tank odors. If used as directed you only need a single application per full tank and dumping. So it is much more economical as compared to all the other chemicals that merely mask the odors. 3R kills them by oxidation!

If you can't find a dealer close by you can order direct from 3R. Try you like it. :-)

Product Overview
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We have been using the Sewer Solution now for almost two years and would never use a slinky again. We have spent over 250 nights camped on the road using the Sewer Solution. At home and at SuEllyn's Dad's house the sewer clean-out is over 60' out and slightly upgrade. We use 40' of Sewer solution Flex Hose and 25' of 1" pvc, and it really gets the job done.

As far as we're concerned, slinkies are junk. We don't even have to save any gray water to rinse the hose as the Sewer Solution's pressure hose handles this with ease. We also use hose quick connects and a "Y" junction to help make set up a snap.

Brian
Thank you yet again for another great tip for this noob. I've just placed my order for an SS for our AS. Wow, is this place ever a font of useful knowledge. We're off on our first road trip right after church next Sunday.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bathroom SINK / Black Tank / Sewer Solution

Not sure on older units, but on newer ones, the bathroom sink empties into the black tank. Probably just because it's such a short plumbing run. SO if you want to add water to your black tank, just turn on the sink.

When boondocking, I hook up a small water pump to my generator and periodically plug the shower drain, then pump the water into the black tank - because the gray always fills first. The discharge hose on the pump "agitates" the black tank fiercely, so that nothing is left to be mascerated when it's dumped.

Another good idea - fill your kitchen sink(s) to the rim while draining your gray tank, then pull the drain plug after the tank is empty. There is an amazing amount of coffee grounds, etc. that collects in the bottom of the gray tank. Can't hurt to give it a flush out too.

Paula
Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We got the optional external connection that feeds sprayers in the black tank, but I only used it once or twice when our Bambi was new. I have found that just filling the black tank completely full before dumping usually provides a forceful flow that empties all contents. So, while this device is interesting, so far we haven't needed anything like this. Although, I can see that it might be useful for dumping at home or uphill when the slinky isn't long enough.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #55

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We use our built-in black tank flush every time we dump the black tank. It's amazing how much more stuff comes out. We also use the flush unit to put a couple of gallons of water in the black tank after dumping. I don't think that it is a good idea to ever let the black tank go dry.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #56

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
"Another good idea - fill your kitchen sink(s) to the rim while draining your gray tank, then pull the drain plug after the tank is empty. There is an amazing amount of coffee grounds, etc. that collects in the bottom of the gray tank. Can't hurt to give it a flush out too."

Thanks Paula. That's a great Idea. I will be trying it as soon as we get on the road.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We use our Sewer Solution for a positive backflush of our blackwater and, occasionally, greywater tanks. There is a picture and description (from 2009) on the first page of this thread. Our 2002 19' Bambi only has a 6-7 gallon blackwater tank, so adding extra water to flush it out in it is not very effective. Our backflush with the Sewer Solution works great.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I,too, love the sewer solution. However, it does seem to take longer to complete a dump than it did with the slinky. Is this because the ss does a better, more complete job or, as I age, I am more impatient or because of the much smaller hose diameter of the ss?

I suspect the latter.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
I,too, love the sewer solution. However, it does seem to take longer to complete a dump than it did with the slinky. Is this because the ss does a better, more complete job or, as I age, I am more impatient or because of the much smaller hose diameter of the ss?

I suspect the latter.

John
It does take longer but I think it's worth the extra time because it is a much cleaner way of dealing with waste.