Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Rear bumper

We put our SS in the rear bumper of our 68 Ambassador along with the electrical hose and the handle for the Zip Dee awing....not sure if our new slinky will fit in there as well.....hope so. paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #30

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic View Post
Thanks Moosetags for the reply. By the way, what purpose does the orange clamp have on your picture?
I use the orange and blue clamps to tie up the Sewer solution hoses.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3670.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	85735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3672.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	85736  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #31

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Some AirForum folks have reported issues with over excited campgrounds and Sewer Solutions...interpretations of backflow preventers/city water supply will probably get ugly in the near future...

I have a home-made version and it works great...if I use it at a campground I think I'll tend to use it then stow it...no sense in having questions asked when they can be avoided.

I know for a fact that one city near us will flip out if the water dept see's one in use.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We just returned from the NorCal Lassen Lava Beds Cararally. I FORGOT TO PACK MY SS!! THAT will never happen again! Did have the slinky though. I made an extention to allow the SS to be more easily accessible at the rear of the Trade Wind. I posted it with pictures last year in Reviews but I can't find it.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #33

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We have been using our Sewer Solution exclusively for over two years now. We have camped over 200 nights at campgrounds all over the United States without any problems from anyone.

Brian
Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #34

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Enlighten Me Please.....

I like the concept of the Sewer Solutions as an effective and reasonably priced alternative to the stinky slinky, but I'm not at all excited about hooking up a fresh water supply anywhere close to the holding tank outlet. I see that a vacuum breaker is part of the system, but it still doesn't inspire my confidence. Am I alone with this concern?

Thanks All,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
All I can say is that the system has worked flawlessly for me for years now. I hook the SS up at my house when I get home and need to dump. During the period when I am dumping, I am monitoring the system. I never just pull the black tank valve and walk away.

Brian
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
I like the concept of the Sewer Solutions as an effective and reasonably priced alternative to the stinky slinky, but I'm not at all excited about hooking up a fresh water supply anywhere close to the holding tank outlet. I see that a vacuum breaker is part of the system, but it still doesn't inspire my confidence. Am I alone with this concern?

Thanks All,

Kevin
It concerned me a bit but I hook up to the water from the trailer. We have one of those ports where we can inject water into the black tank with a hose. This also means we have a valve that taps to the trailer water. I usually hook that to the SS with a short piece of hose. This valve has a vacuum breaker ALSO so I have two of them which makes me feel better.

I also constantly monitor it. I only hook up the fresh water when I am dumping. During a stay I leave the gray open so it can trickle out and it does a good job.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I have an anti siphon valve plus to be certain I turn off the water supply to the trailer.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
It has a back flow protector in the connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Some AirForum folks have reported issues with over excited campgrounds and Sewer Solutions...interpretations of backflow preventers/city water supply will probably get ugly in the near future...

I have a home-made version and it works great...if I use it at a campground I think I'll tend to use it then stow it...no sense in having questions asked when they can be avoided.

I know for a fact that one city near us will flip out if the water dept see's one in use.
The back flow preventer is part of the connector to the SS. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #39
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post

Thanks All,

Kevin
Kevin,

I share your concern, especially when I see the SS hooked up to a wye on the potable water line. I would only use a Sewer Solution or Hyrdoflush at the dump station with the non-potable water hydrant.

I wouldn't trust a single check valve or antisiphon either. Leaving the Sewer solution hooked up (as in #30) to me is like watching the cook not wash his hands after going to the bathroom.

I've also got to say I don't think the water hydrant in post #30 would be legal in most states. It's too close to the sewer and not high enough off the ground.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
In my way of thinking, there's a bit too much concern in regard to the anti-siphon issue with regard to the SS...

The anti-siphon 'use' would ONLY come into play if there were to be a drop or loss in the fresh water supply pressure...you only turn ON the water to the SS when you are using it - standing there watching the process...if the supply pressure were to drop while the water is ON to the SS, you'd know it by seeing that it wasn't working AND the anti-siphon would prevent any back-flow - but in any event you would turn off the water supply to investigate about the pressure loss...

You only use the water supply when using the SS - the water is not ON to the SS at any other time...

You can see in my pictures above that I have a ball valve that must be turned ON to activate the SS - when finished, I turn the ball valve OFF, and there is no danger to the fresh water supply - if there were a pressure failure while in the SS use mode (valve ON), the check valve would stop any back flow or contamination in the line - about 2 feet away from the SS - AND I would be there to turn OFF the valve, in any event, as I would see the SS wasn't getting any water pressure...

In my way of thinking, you'd have a much greater chance of some kind of contamination handling the slimy slinky than you'd ever have with operating the SS...just my 2 cent's worth...
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #41

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Mexray - I agree with your assessment of the Sewer Solution situation.

Brian
Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I found out that it IS considered illegal to use potable water to flush the black tank. YAWN - 99% of the time no one notices. I've always hooked up a "garden green" flush hose whenever I wanted to flush the tank - never had a "Y" set up with both hoses active from the same spigot.

Whenever I boondock I always fill my gray tank in three days - just cannot learn to do a real GI shower - besides I'm a big woman and have a lot more to rinse off! So I did something CHEAP to transfer gray water into the black water tank. I went to Home Depot and found a low volume water pump that is powered by a cordless drill... that same drill you can use for your stabilizer jacks. I cut two pieces of hose about three feet each and attached to each side of the pump. I take my shower with the plug in the drain, then pump my gray water into the toilet - takes a minute or two. Equalizing the filling of the tanks lets me go quite a bit longer without dumping and dilutes the stuff in the black tank.

Then one day it hit me - sh.... I could use that little pump to flush out the hose and tanks when I use the Sewer Solution. One five gallon dry wall bucket (I use an empty kitty litter bucket) filled with either potable or gray water... hook up the outlet hose from the pump into the flusher side of the Sewer Solution and drop the intake hose into the bucket, and I'm in business.

No one in the world even notices if you hook up a white hose to the built in tank sprayer on newer Airstreams. It's a gravity thing with that since the inlet is ABOVE the tank. If you're flushing from the drain side of the system... the "water police" may have a point that even with the best backflow protection something bad can happen. I still use my green car washing hose most of the time, but I can just as easily put 5 gallons of water in the bucket and pump it into the flusher side of the SS.

Paula - (east coast Paula)

Disclaimers:
  1. I fulltime - so I never need to super-clean a black tank for the winter or for a month between trips. It's not that I'm filthy, but realistic. I'll be using that tank within hours at the longest, so it doesn't have to pass a white glove inspection.
  2. I'm a freewheeler - no kids, few and infrequent guests. If you have 4 or more people "contributing" to the black tank's contents it could be more likely to have clogs in the line. I've never come near filling my black tank... and with good odor controlling chemicals I could probably go 3 weeks without emptying it. With a family of 4 or more clogs wouldn't dissolve if you have to drain the black tank every 3 days. A big family might need more than 5 gallons to move it all down the line.