Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Sewer Solution is the poop.

Literally This thing is awesome, I've never used a stinky slinky and I never plan to (this is my first RV and first time dumping). The sewer solution worked great, easy to use, easy to see when the tank is empty, easy to clean, and easy to stow, with no mess. Very nice. Worth every penny.

Thank you to those of you that have recommended it, it worked as advertised
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I've been using the Sewer Solution for over two years, now. I could not agree more.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I've seen a handful of dump stations where the rinse hose is not threaded. How does this work in that case or do you go back to the "stinky slinky"?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I do carry a 10 foot section of slinky in case I need to use the type of dump that you are referring to. In over two years, I have yet to break out my "emergency slinky".

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cericks1 View Post
I've seen a handful of dump stations where the rinse hose is not threaded.
I've seen that more often than not.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I cheat. I carry a 'water thief' and a couple of plastic hose repair ends for such occasions.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Without a doubt this is the biggest waste of time and water I have ever seen.

First off how do you know when the tank is empty since you are filling it while it is emptying? Second who thinks sending a small redirected stream of water up a 3 in pipe and around bends is going to have any effect in the tank itself.

Most campgrounds are on a well and a pump on demand system for their dump stations. I can just imagine what the campground thinks of this idea let alone those campers behind you in line.

The system I use is to dump the black tank first and as the flow slows I lift the slinky to a height just above the holding tank and open the gray water valve for about 5 seconds. This forces a LARGE QUALITY of water back into the black tank. I then close the gray valve and drop the slinky to finish draining the black tank. Once that has drained I close the black valve and open the gray.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Literally This thing is awesome, I've never used a stinky slinky and I never plan to (this is my first RV and first time dumping). The sewer solution worked great, easy to use, easy to see when the tank is empty, easy to clean, and easy to stow, with no mess. Very nice. Worth every penny.

Thank you to those of you that have recommended it, it worked as advertised

I've read about these & think I understand the principle, but I am wondering what you do at a site where you have sewer hookups when it comes to dealing with your gray water.

Do you just leave your gray water valve open as you normally would and the gray water runs thru the device without the need to inject pressurized water, or do you leave the gray water valve closed, let it build up in the gray tank, and then dump it using the injection system the same as you would do for the black tank.

If you need to do the latter, it seems that would be a bit of an added inconvenience, no?

I must admit I've never had much problem with a "slinky" and perhaps one of the reasons is that from day one, I established a house rule that we only use the rv toilet for "peeing" in!

Course if we ever decided to try boondocking, I guess I'd have to revise the rules, unless there was a Macdonald's nearby!

Thanks, ............. Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The Sewer Solution DOES NOT spray the water back into the tank. It sprays down through the venturi of the SS unit to break up the waste. It is basically a water powered mascerator. I can tell when the black tank is empty when stuff stops coming out. The Sewer Solution dump hose is self cleaning with its own sprayer. No gray water is required to rinse the hose. I have found that I use less water with the Sewer Solution than I did with the sloppy stinky slinky.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
yes, you can just leave the gray water valve open and it runs out just fine on its own without any water pressure from the Sewer Solution sprayer.

I do sometimes run some water for a minute or so just to rinse the soap scum from the clear tube and hose.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "how do you know when the tank is empty since you are filling it while it is emptying?" -- because you don't do this.

The device is essentially a macerator pump that uses a jet of water to break up sludge and blow it down a 3/4" hose. It doesn't use all that much water and you can tell when it's done when there isn't any more sludge going down the pipe. For the gray tank, you can shut off the water supply and just let it drain as the gray tank doesn't need the macerating option - it may need the pump action, though. The SS is a good solution if you have to get your waste uphill a foot or two or over a bit of distance (usually home dump problems, not commercial).

The Sewer Solution can also serve as a tank rinse. These are built into many modern RV's but older ones usually don't have an external hose access to the black tank for this. Some homebrew equivalents used a fixed nozzle but the SS provides a lever so you can direct the jet down the pipe as a macerator pump or up the pipe as a rinse.

After you dump and rinse the waste tanks, consider putting a gallon or two of water in them to slosh around while they are empty and keep things from drying out.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Without a doubt this is the biggest waste of time and water I have ever seen.

First off how do you know when the tank is empty since you are filling it while it is emptying? Second who thinks sending a small redirected stream of water up a 3 in pipe and around bends is going to have any effect in the tank itself.

Most campgrounds are on a well and a pump on demand system for their dump stations. I can just imagine what the campground thinks of this idea let alone those campers behind you in line.

The system I use is to dump the black tank first and as the flow slows I lift the slinky to a height just above the holding tank and open the gray water valve for about 5 seconds. This forces a LARGE QUALITY of water back into the black tank. I then close the gray valve and drop the slinky to finish draining the black tank. Once that has drained I close the black valve and open the gray.
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about with regard to the Sewer Solution. You can quite clearly see when the tank is empty because the main fitting of the unit is clear. When dumping the sewer solution shoots a stream of water into the discharge hose, not back into the tanks. You can direct the stream back into the tanks if you want after most has drained, but not when you are dumping. I don't know how long it takes you to dump, but I did both tanks in about 5 minutes.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about with regard to the Sewer Solution. You can quite clearly see when the tank is empty because the main fitting of the unit is clear. When dumping the sewer solution shoots a stream of water into the discharge hose, not back into the tanks. You can direct the stream back into the tanks if you want after most has drained, but not when you are dumping. I don't know how long it takes you to dump, but I did both tanks in about 5 minutes.
Having reread the manufactures web page I think I will stick to my statements.

Sewer Solution

I don't see this window you refer to and they clearly claim the injection of water back into the tank as a means of cleaning the tank.

Then again a difference of opinion is what make horse racing what it is.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Howie, the part that connects to the sewer pipe on the airstream is clear plastic. You can physically see when the tank is empty. You can shoot water back into the tank if it is a clear shot, but you dont do this while dumping, you do it after the tank has emptied if you want to. I just use the black tank flush fitting on my airstream. The thing works, and works well in my opinion. It isn't messy and I don't have to fool around with a huge slinky hose.

Brian.

Edit: the red part in their diagram on their webpage is actually made of clear plastic (at least mine is--I got it at camping world)
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
My buddy has a '65 Safari with a custom built grey + black tank and swears by the SS. I have a '67 Caravel with the original sized black (only) tank. I would go with a SS, but am a bit worried about not having the "gravity" effect that is supposed to totally evacuate the tank when you release the valve w/ a full tank and let the black water flow into a stinky slinky. I guess rotating the SS valve and utilizing the flush feature will discharge any remaining solids, but I am still not sure about it. Also- on the mid-'60's Caravel, the toilet flange is just offset of the tank drain, so if I used the rinse feature of the SS, is it going to shoot stuff to the underside of the toilet valve??
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Having reread the manufactures web page I think I will stick to my statements.

Sewer Solution

I don't see this window you refer to and they clearly claim the injection of water back into the tank as a means of cleaning the tank.

Then again a difference of opinion is what make horse racing what it is.
Sorry, but it is necessary for somebody else to tell you (again) that you have no clue about the way the Sewer Solution works.

Yes, the flow can be directed back towards the tank and that is a nice way to clean off the valves. Mostly, the high-velocity water jet of the Sewer Solution is aimed into the 3/4" hose leading from the tank to the sewer. Our Sewer Solution also has the clear section which allows one to see when a tank is empty.

Where it is not necessary to pump uphill (which the Sewer Solution will do), we let our gray-water tank drain without the help of the water jet and, as others have said, use the jet to rinse afterwards. We always use the jet for the black-water tank and, when the tank is empty, point the jet back towards the tank to rinse the tank's drain pipe and valve.

We have no (zero, nada) complaints about our Sewer Solution and would hate to do without it.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've used a Sewer Solution since 2005. There are no little chunks left in the hose because it's smooth inside. The hose doesn't get pinhole leaks because it's thicker than a garden hose, and doesn't need any metal ribs - for the little chunks to get stuck in.

If you let the black tank "mellow" most of the solids are pretty well dissolved. Ditto for the Gray tank. The high pressure mascerator can break up any solids that might block the drain hose and can assist when you're draining up hill. I too have a built in flush in the black tank.

When I want to do a really thorough clean up, I'll drain and flush the black tank, then drain the gray tank, fill the sinks with hot water and then empty them through the gray tank. I find the gray tank can get pretty funky from kitchen waste and ordinary hair/skin cells from showering.

The Sewer Solution works.

It IS slightly slower draining than a slinky. Inside diameter rules that. However clean up time for a slinky... and you never DO get it clean... is a much longer and nastier process. I've been parked on grades where you have to "milk" a slinky to get the water down the sewer. Doesn't happen with a Sewer Solution - inside diameter creates pressure and makes the "stuff" MOVE fast in the hose.

Paula
Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Paula, I wholeheartedly agree with you. In my opinion, the Sewer Solution is the single best RVing accessory that I know of.

The only people who don't like the Sewer Solution are those who have never used one.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The only people who don't like the Sewer Solution are those who have never used one.
Exactly!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
..or those who have used one on a trailer without a gray tank

Which is my warning to modarch: you probably don't want to use one. If I recall correctly, the caravel has a floor mounted black tank, and a shower pan. yes?

anyway, here's what happens. Black water in the tank is at a higher level than the shower pan. the shower drain is connected to the sewer outlet, with no valve or one-way flow device to keep anything from flowing UP the shower drain and into the pan. this means that if you open the black tank valve, and anything is blocking the outflow to the slinky, the contents of the black tank will go into the shower pan.
since the Sewer Solution doesn't work as fast as gravity, (due to its small diameter hose), there is always just a wee bit of back-pressure on the effluent stream...and that's enough to make some of it back up into the shower pan.
not an issue in a modern trailer, where the black tank is completely isolated from any other drain. but watch out in any pre-1974 trailer, that hasn't been modified.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote