Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #41
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I have had my Sewer Solution for over two years now. During this period, we have camped in Lucy about 350 nights. My original Sewer Solution is still going strong, under this fairly heavy use.

Brian
Brian,

What is the orange thing at your sewer outlet? What is its purpose and how is it attached?

Thanks, by the way, for the detailed description. I will be another proud owner as soon as I get around to it.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #42

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Brian,

What is the orange thing at your sewer outlet? What is its purpose and how is it attached?

Thanks, by the way, for the detailed description. I will be another proud owner as soon as I get around to it.

Pat

The orange things that you see on the clear tube coming out of Lucy's dump pipe are a couple of those "Cable Cuffs" that I use to tie up the Sewer Solution hose when it is coiled up for storage. I just store them there because I can easily find them when pack up the hose.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3670.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	87110  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

Been pondering the SS for some time now, but we are "dockers" at heart and most of the stations we frequent do not have city water pressure. Seems it wouldn't perform nearly as well under those conditions. May be something to consider for home use though, that way we could avoid the Sunday evening rush at the DS.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #44

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Been pondering the SS for some time now, but we are "dockers" at heart and most of the stations we frequent do not have city water pressure. Seems it wouldn't perform nearly as well under those conditions. May be something to consider for home use though, that way we could avoid the Sunday evening rush at the DS.
We keep a 10' section of slinky with fittings for use at community dump sites. Since we rarely boondock, this has never been an issue. We are rigged up to dump at home using 40' of Sewer solution flex hose and another 30' of 1" PVC to reach our clean out.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #45
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Ss

Should I get an extension for the SS.It seems that the valve and dump opening on the camper would be to close to turn the nozzle.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #46

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I use a 6" clear extension between the trailer dump outlet and the Sewer Solution head.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Can you get a thetford adapter for the SS? We are researching better options for dumping our black tank as there seems to always be a pile of solids right under the toilet that want to stay there even after we dump the tank. the only way we have found to get it to move is to dump a bucket of water down the toilet.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Can you get a thetford adapter for the SS? We are researching better options for dumping our black tank as there seems to always be a pile of solids right under the toilet that want to stay there even after we dump the tank. the only way we have found to get it to move is to dump a bucket of water down the toilet.
Adaptors ar available at most RV suppliers. You should flush your b-tank after each dumping. If you are having trouble dislodging the solids dump a bag of ice cubes into the tank and drive it. The motion will scour the solids. Then dump it again or after your next travel camp hook-up or dump station.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
I can't comment on the durability as I haven't had mine very long, but there are no moving parts per se. The pump is a water jet pump. The only reason I think you'd ever need a replacement pump is if you dropped it or broke it or something. At the end of the hose they supply you with both a 3" and 4" adapter to fit snugly into the "poop chute" of the dump station, so no worries about it coming out and spraying you. I have no idea what a water thief is?
I just replaced my 4 year old one. I FULLTIME and have my SS connected 100% of the time except when boondocking. The hose is still good, the section that fits into the drain still works 100%, but I've got a hairline crack in the base of the unit - probably a combination of use and sun damage, and the vacuum breaker broke a while back, so I replaced it with one from the local hardware store. I could have bought the replacement parts from the company's web store - but the whole thing cost about the same as the parts I need, so by salvaging the hose from my original one, I'll now have plenty of hose for any situation. I'm sure the current one I have would have lasted for several months more, but having a s*** spill is something I'd rather not inflict on myself or anyone else camping in a spot I've left. A really GOOD slinky might last 2 years for average campers. You'll probably never wear out an SS if you don't fulltime.

Paula
Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #50
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Ss

I have now had mine for a week or so now but have not been able to use it yet.I will be able to do this soon though once I am able to start camping here in the next week hopefully.I am intrested in seeing how this thing works it magic.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
So, I read this entire thread. Off I went and bought a Sewer Solution. Stopped at big orange and bought $11.00 worth of 1" pvc fittings and 10' of pipe.

Put it together today in about 25 minutes running it into the cleanout on the side of the house.

Yowza! Works like a big dog!

I used to pull up in front of the house, open the cleanout at the street side and get out the stinky slinky to dump at home. Since the swale is sloped, I never could get it completely empty and my neighbors were not keen on the process. Now, with it parked in the side yard, I dump at my leisure and it is as clean as it is going to get.

Thanks for convincing me,guys!

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Vaporville , Confusion
As I was standing there this weekend dumping my black water for the first time in my life, I looked at my wife and said "Theres got to be an easier way!" I made it about half way through these posts and ordered mine. I am so relieved to see that I dont have to use those stupid slinky hoses. My experience this weekend was foul and messy. Thanks for the info again! Cant really say "I cant wait to try it out" but I guess I am looking forward to an easier time of it.
TropicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #53
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicGuy View Post
As I was standing there this weekend dumping my black water for the first time in my life, I looked at my wife and said "Theres got to be an easier way!" I made it about half way through these posts and ordered mine. I am so relieved to see that I dont have to use those stupid slinky hoses. My experience this weekend was foul and messy. Thanks for the info again! Cant really say "I cant wait to try it out" but I guess I am looking forward to an easier time of it.
You will appreciate how well it works (I almost said enjoy)

At one point I had several people "camped" out in my yard and we would hold a "pump out party" about once a week. Get a 12 pack, haul out the Sewer Solution and some 1" PVC and have at it. The tanks would be emptied before the beer was gone...and that is saying something with the crowd that was here.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Since I began fulltiming, I've used the SS many times. It is still one of the single best things I have purchased for the Airstream. It makes dumping incredibly easy and efficient. Cleanup is a breeze and I don't have to worry about poop juice leaking all over me.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #55

1966 17' Caravel
Averill Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
..or those who have used one on a trailer without a gray tank

Which is my warning to modarch: you probably don't want to use one. If I recall correctly, the caravel has a floor mounted black tank, and a shower pan. yes?

anyway, here's what happens. Black water in the tank is at a higher level than the shower pan. the shower drain is connected to the sewer outlet, with no valve or one-way flow device to keep anything from flowing UP the shower drain and into the pan. this means that if you open the black tank valve, and anything is blocking the outflow to the slinky, the contents of the black tank will go into the shower pan.
since the Sewer Solution doesn't work as fast as gravity, (due to its small diameter hose), there is always just a wee bit of back-pressure on the effluent stream...and that's enough to make some of it back up into the shower pan.
not an issue in a modern trailer, where the black tank is completely isolated from any other drain. but watch out in any pre-1974 trailer, that hasn't been modified.
I just acquired a '66 Caravel. Given the dire warning about using the SS on that model, has anyone actually tried it? I'm new to this, never used a "stinky slinky" and, frankly, don't want to. The SS seems like it would actually improve the pressure situation when dumping, but I'd be a bit afraid to use it to flush the tank.
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #56

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I've been reluctant to use the Sewer Solutions for a couple of reasons but we're finally making the switch. Just received the system and extension hose and it sure seems well made. Will give it a performance test soon.

Another stinky slinky convert,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
One additional note to my pic's above...

If you happen to have an older rear bath AS with the sewer outlet connection just forward of the rear bumper (see my Pics above)...you'll have to get the inlet to the SS reversed from the 'standard' RH inlet, to a LH inlet -

I took the SS apart and reversed it myself, but you have to do some minor machining for everything to line up properly - the instructions i received with my SS said the user could DIY, but when it didn't align up properly, I call SS and they told me about the spacing of the jet changes by just reversing the rotating part - I was told that I could return it for them to do it, no charge, but decided to do it on my own and it worked out OK...

SS advise to specify a 'reverse' inlet model if you need the inlet water hose to mount on the LH side of the SS (when looking from at the SS when mounted)...again see pic's above...

Ray
Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Without a doubt this is the biggest waste of time and water I have ever seen.

First off how do you know when the tank is empty since you are filling it while it is emptying? Second who thinks sending a small redirected stream of water up a 3 in pipe and around bends is going to have any effect in the tank itself.

Most campgrounds are on a well and a pump on demand system for their dump stations. I can just imagine what the campground thinks of this idea let alone those campers behind you in line.

The system I use is to dump the black tank first and as the flow slows I lift the slinky to a height just above the holding tank and open the gray water valve for about 5 seconds. This forces a LARGE QUALITY of water back into the black tank. I then close the gray valve and drop the slinky to finish draining the black tank. Once that has drained I close the black valve and open the gray.
I had the opportunity to use the system at home, with one extra item my black tank has a spray nozzle within the tank so I can add water to the tank at the same time as it is dumping, two days of intermittant spraying and dumping it is finally clean or at least running clear. But does it need to be clean after all it will be used again. Probably better to save this method just for finally step before storing camper for season, oops we have been know to use camper anytime.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
It's the Bomb!

I saw this thread months ago, but never followed through until this week. Mine arrived yesterday. I'm amazed that poop really can run uphill.

Name:	IMG_8221.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	718.8 KB
ID:	101580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8229.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	101582
I did 60 feet of PVC with a 45 degree elbow on a slope peaking about 15" above the valve. Worked like a charm.

Name:	IMG_8223.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	101581
Don't have a gray tank, and my black and gray systems are now separate (long story) so there was no way for it to back up into the shower drain like the Caravel scenario. The tank flush worked awesome. No more marching in and out of the trailer to flush rinse water from above. I'm just tickled I can dump my tank at home without donning the Haz-Mat gear.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up

Another convert!
Just used our SS for the first time yesterday!
Like Mexray we have a 1976 (sewer and fresh next to one another) and did send the SS head back for a free change over to LH side.
I like others kept one section of the "old fashoned" 3"hose for emergency use.

Just a fyi that I noticed :no more need to store up gray water for the big flush. While you are hooked up let your grey drain. (after you use the SS to back flush for the first time...interesting stuff came out the gray tank the first couple of times) Then at dump time close off the gray tank. Drain and flush the black tank only. Close off the black and then return the gray valve to open position.
Many of our neighbors at Highland Haven were interested in the SS and I would think several will become SS converts!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote