Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
One additional note to my pic's above...

If you happen to have an older rear bath AS with the sewer outlet connection just forward of the rear bumper (see my Pics above)...you'll have to get the inlet to the SS reversed from the 'standard' RH inlet, to a LH inlet -

I took the SS apart and reversed it myself, but you have to do some minor machining for everything to line up properly - the instructions i received with my SS said the user could DIY, but when it didn't align up properly, I call SS and they told me about the spacing of the jet changes by just reversing the rotating part - I was told that I could return it for them to do it, no charge, but decided to do it on my own and it worked out OK...

SS advise to specify a 'reverse' inlet model if you need the inlet water hose to mount on the LH side of the SS (when looking from at the SS when mounted)...again see pic's above...

Ray

Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Without a doubt this is the biggest waste of time and water I have ever seen.

First off how do you know when the tank is empty since you are filling it while it is emptying? Second who thinks sending a small redirected stream of water up a 3 in pipe and around bends is going to have any effect in the tank itself.

Most campgrounds are on a well and a pump on demand system for their dump stations. I can just imagine what the campground thinks of this idea let alone those campers behind you in line.

The system I use is to dump the black tank first and as the flow slows I lift the slinky to a height just above the holding tank and open the gray water valve for about 5 seconds. This forces a LARGE QUALITY of water back into the black tank. I then close the gray valve and drop the slinky to finish draining the black tank. Once that has drained I close the black valve and open the gray.
I had the opportunity to use the system at home, with one extra item my black tank has a spray nozzle within the tank so I can add water to the tank at the same time as it is dumping, two days of intermittant spraying and dumping it is finally clean or at least running clear. But does it need to be clean after all it will be used again. Probably better to save this method just for finally step before storing camper for season, oops we have been know to use camper anytime.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
It's the Bomb!

I saw this thread months ago, but never followed through until this week. Mine arrived yesterday. I'm amazed that poop really can run uphill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8221.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	718.8 KB
ID:	101580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8229.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	101582
I did 60 feet of PVC with a 45 degree elbow on a slope peaking about 15" above the valve. Worked like a charm.

Name:	IMG_8223.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	101581
Don't have a gray tank, and my black and gray systems are now separate (long story) so there was no way for it to back up into the shower drain like the Caravel scenario. The tank flush worked awesome. No more marching in and out of the trailer to flush rinse water from above. I'm just tickled I can dump my tank at home without donning the Haz-Mat gear.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up

Another convert!
Just used our SS for the first time yesterday!
Like Mexray we have a 1976 (sewer and fresh next to one another) and did send the SS head back for a free change over to LH side.
I like others kept one section of the "old fashoned" 3"hose for emergency use.

Just a fyi that I noticed :no more need to store up gray water for the big flush. While you are hooked up let your grey drain. (after you use the SS to back flush for the first time...interesting stuff came out the gray tank the first couple of times) Then at dump time close off the gray tank. Drain and flush the black tank only. Close off the black and then return the gray valve to open position.
Many of our neighbors at Highland Haven were interested in the SS and I would think several will become SS converts!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #61
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Had a little problem

Yesterday I dumped and cleaned my tanks and moved to another campground and hooked up my sewer solution again. When I turned the water on for a test, the valve broke. No way could I dump without getting it fixed.
Lowes has the assembly for about $4.00 so I now a good one and a spare. I would hate to be trying to leave and that happen without a back up.
Dumping can be full of surprises no matter what you use. I have had a slinky split making a real mess.
I'll keep using my SS>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	109003  
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #62

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We recently had to replace the same part. We bought two new ones at an Ace Hardware.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #63
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I've been using this thing on and off for a while now. There are pros and cons.

There are two main disadvantages. One is that if you're dumping full tanks at a dump station, it takes longer and involves more fiddling to use the SS. The much larger diameter slinky-type hose is an advantage in this situation.

The other is that if someone flushes a tampon or something it makes a hell of a mess with no easy way to clean things up. Usually these will go through a 3" hose.

On the other hand if you are parked at a site with full hookups it's handy and less of a mess and speed doesn't matter. There are also advantages if you are dumping in some wonky location where you have to go uphill or a long way or something.

I have found, on my trailer, that I have to use a 4" clear extension on the 4-lug valterra connector to get enough room for everything.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #64
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
One additional note to my pic's above...

If you happen to have an older rear bath AS with the sewer outlet connection just forward of the rear bumper (see my Pics above)...you'll have to get the inlet to the SS reversed from the 'standard' RH inlet, to a LH inlet -

SS advise to specify a 'reverse' inlet model if you need the inlet water hose to mount on the LH side of the SS (when looking from at the SS when mounted)...again see pic's above...
Looks like one of those clear extensions on the 4-lug valterra connector would solve this too.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Add my name to the SS users who say this thing is the best solution to a messy problem. Works great - right out of the box. This past weekend was my first full hook up site where I could use it. I will never go back. I carry a 20 foot 4" section for dump stations but if I can wait to get home I will.

Thank You Sewer SOlution.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Add my name to the SS users who say this thing is the best solution to a messy problem. Works great - right out of the box. This past weekend was my first full hook up site where I could use it. I will never go back. I carry a 20 foot 4" section for dump stations but if I can wait to get home I will.

Thank You Sewer SOlution.
I've had and used mine for 3 years now. Ditto on carrying a slinky too but now if I can't get to a dump station I can dump at home into the house sewer cleanout. I added up to 30' of SS hose to reach it with a slight uphill and it works great. The trailer now makes for a great guest 'house'.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've been using this thing on and off for a while now. There are pros and cons.

There are two main disadvantages. One is that if you're dumping full tanks at a dump station, it takes longer and involves more fiddling to use the SS. The much larger diameter slinky-type hose is an advantage in this situation.

The other is that if someone flushes a tampon or something it makes a hell of a mess with no easy way to clean things up. Usually these will go through a 3" hose.

On the other hand if you are parked at a site with full hookups it's handy and less of a mess and speed doesn't matter. There are also advantages if you are dumping in some wonky location where you have to go uphill or a long way or something.

I have found, on my trailer, that I have to use a 4" clear extension on the 4-lug valterra connector to get enough room for everything.
Dear Jammer,

"If someone flushes a tampon or something..." could be a really nasty surprise, and yes you'll have a 2 gallon mess even after you close the black valve. However the water jet might quite successfully disassemble the tampon. (I can just imagine a Mythbusters experiment here!)

I don't often have guests stay overnight, but when I do, I NEVER assume they will know about the proper use of an RV toilet, so I provide a small covered, lined trash cans, appropriate paper bags for disposal and a brief but frank discussion of what not to flush and why. Once a guest understands that you have to "personally manage the eco-outflow" they won't embarass themselves by flushing anything inappropriate. Embarassing? Less so than spilling sewage on the ground IMHO.

I always strongly suggest that feminine hygiene disposables be burned to ashes immediately after disposing of them. Why? BEARS.

Bears are sexually attracted to that scent. There are a few black bears in eastern VA/NC... and they are wooses compared to grizzlies. However, even a shy black bear can weigh 200-300 lb. and when motivated can crunch the heck out of your airstream and kill you dead! This is NOT a good time to go boondocking in the woods. You can't assume you're safe even in a giant campground in a big national park or wilderness area where there are bears. Keep a second "trash" hearth with some match lightable charcoal or lighter fluid and reduce everything completely to ashes! If you're in a "no open camp fire" zone due to drought conditions, a charcoal lighting chimney makes a good tiny campfire to take care of the problem discreetly (as does an old fashioned 3 lb coffee can with holes poked in the sides and a pan lid over the top).

Paula
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01
Since there has been some confusion, and because photos are worth 1000 words, I give you photos:

Sewer Solution in dumping mode (note position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution is flushing mode (not position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution with quick disconnect anti-drainback valve attached

3" and 4" poop chute adapters (the 3" slides into the 4" if necessary--shown)

Sewer Solution and water line hooked up for dumping. Notice how you can physically see into the trailers dump pipe, hence you know when the tanks are empty.

Hope this helped,

Brian
Thanks Brian. Excellent photos. They will sell a few products from this thread.

Don

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
We have been using our SS for about 10 years without any problems except the plastic check valve cracked and I found parts at Home Depot to fix it....the original units were made in Oklahoma years ago....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Since the usual procedure is to dump black first then grey, is that what you do with the SS? Do you use water pressure when dumping the grey??

???

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote