Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I LOVE the 'Sewer Solution'. One advantage for me is after a camping trip I can 'evacuate' our b-tank into our home sewer via a clean out with the addition of 20 more feet of PVC and 20 additional feet of hose. Here is a slide show of it 'in action' from 2 days ago at home. I did have to make an adapter extention from the trailer dump exit to more easily connect the SS. I do carry a slinky 'just in case' but haven't yet used it on the road.....except for a recent rally where I forgot to take my SS.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 001.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	87019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 002.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	87020  

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	87021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 004.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	87022  

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 005.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	87023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 006.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	87024  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
What about the durability of the SS?
I see they offer a replacement pump. How often and why is replacement needed?

Whats at the end of the 3/4 inch discharge hose? Do you just drop the hose itself into the dung-hole at the station? Any prob with it "whipping" out and doing the "funky cobra" dance?

Any leakage at the (bayonet) connector during use?

Oh and what is a "Water Thief" ??

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I can't comment on the durability as I haven't had mine very long, but there are no moving parts per se. The pump is a water jet pump. The only reason I think you'd ever need a replacement pump is if you dropped it or broke it or something. At the end of the hose they supply you with both a 3" and 4" adapter to fit snugly into the "poop chute" of the dump station, so no worries about it coming out and spraying you. I have no idea what a water thief is?
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Water Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
I can't comment on the durability as I haven't had mine very long, but there are no moving parts per se. The pump is a water jet pump. The only reason I think you'd ever need a replacement pump is if you dropped it or broke it or something. At the end of the hose they supply you with both a 3" and 4" adapter to fit snugly into the "poop chute" of the dump station, so no worries about it coming out and spraying you. I have no idea what a water thief is?
Search - water thief - Camping World
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
..or those who have used one on a trailer without a gray tank

Which is my warning to modarch: you probably don't want to use one. If I recall correctly, the caravel has a floor mounted black tank, and a shower pan. yes?

anyway, here's what happens. Black water in the tank is at a higher level than the shower pan. the shower drain is connected to the sewer outlet, with no valve or one-way flow device to keep anything from flowing UP the shower drain and into the pan. this means that if you open the black tank valve, and anything is blocking the outflow to the slinky, the contents of the black tank will go into the shower pan.
since the Sewer Solution doesn't work as fast as gravity, (due to its small diameter hose), there is always just a wee bit of back-pressure on the effluent stream...and that's enough to make some of it back up into the shower pan.
not an issue in a modern trailer, where the black tank is completely isolated from any other drain. but watch out in any pre-1974 trailer, that hasn't been modified.
Chuck- great point about the shower pan. I knew there was another reason why I couldn't use one!

Thanks.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Since there has been some confusion, and because photos are worth 1000 words, I give you photos:

Sewer Solution in dumping mode (note position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution is flushing mode (not position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution with quick disconnect anti-drainback valve attached

3" and 4" poop chute adapters (the 3" slides into the 4" if necessary--shown)

Sewer Solution and water line hooked up for dumping. Notice how you can physically see into the trailers dump pipe, hence you know when the tanks are empty.

Hope this helped,

Brian
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
The SS comes with an adapter for the inground sewer pipe - check out their pic's...

What's Included

You can see that the hose connects to a 90 degree elbow and into an adapter with a rubber 'grommet' to seal to the sewer pipe...works very well, and that 'grommet' provides a very tight seal!

We've used our SS since we got our AS, and wouldn't leave home without it!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sewer Solution Durability

I have had my Sewer Solution for over two years now. During this period, we have camped in Lucy about 350 nights. My original Sewer Solution is still going strong, under this fairly heavy use.

I have the Sewer Solution unit and three additional 10' sections of the Sewer Solution flex hose. I have never used more that 20' at any campground that we have been to. The only times that I have used the other two sections of flex hose is when we set up at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville or at our house in Santa Rosa Beach. At these dump locations, I also use sections of 1" PVC to supplement the flex hose to make 50' and 70' dumps runs respectively.

About a year ago, I purchased a back-up Sewer Solution as a back-up. I don't like the idea of the Sewer Solution having a problem, and having to go back to the sloppy stinky slinky even for a short time. My back-up Sewer Solution has yet to be out of the box.

A water thief is a rubber sleeve that can go over the end of an unthreaded faucet or a cut end of rubber hose. The water thief has a male garden hose thread on the other end.

Here are a few photos on my Sewer Solution all set-up. You will see in the photos the component that goes into the sewer.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3669.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	87028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3670.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	87029  

Name:	DSCN3671.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	87030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3672.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	87031  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's some pic's of how we use our SS in camps with full hook-ups...

1. I made a box to hold the FW filter, and a diverter valve for the incoming water supply.

2. There is a check valve downstream of the diverter valve on the supply line going to the SS's jet fitting - this will prevent ANY, repeat, ANY chance of contamination of the FW supply in the event of supply pressure failure - there has been much discussion about this prospect on other threads!!!

3. I can easily select FW to trailer - or - divert water to the SS during flushing, and back again, etc...

4. flushing techniques have been discussed above at length...drain BW tank, rotate SS jet, flush drain pipes, rotate SS jet back to flush through drain hose, etc...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0309 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	224
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	87033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0307 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	265
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	87034  

Name:	DSCN0306 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	256
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	87035  
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Brian...check out my 'compact' system hookup...I only need one FW supply hose - everything else is in the 'box'...

I don't have the 'Patent Pending' tags printed up yet, so you're free to copy it...

You can see that I made the hole large enough to screw in a replacement Fw filter when needed

I also use brass quick disconnect fittings on all the garden hose fittings - I get them from Harbor Freight when they're on sale...

I got the plastic box from WalMart - I can coil up my short hoses, connect their QD ends to 'seal' them in a 'circle', and store them in the 'box', along with my extra QD's, water thief, etc...

I carry extra QD fittings so I can screw one on the camps FW supply faucet - makes it easier to hook up the garden FW supply hose...IMHO.

I guess I'm always looking for ideas to make setting up and breaking down camp as easy as possible...
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
OK I'm sold. Great ingenuity MexRay on the box.
Thanks for the pics to all.

My only concern would be the clear fixture is maybe not as durable as the PVC or whatever common fitting material is made from.
If one of those clear material tabs breaks off the twist on fitting I guess that means a whole new pump..Right? Also the poop bounces all over the brass nozzle and interior of the clear assembly, right? So how does that get cleaned up thouroghly? or is that important? After a while is the clear still clear (enough to view as designed)?

Lastly are the sections of 3/4 inch discharge line rigid enough to stash (stick) into the under trailer PVC tube that runs across wise the belly pan? Anyone know whether 3 of them will nest into the tube? I am guessing those holders are 4" but maybe a bit smaller??? Mine's not here to measure. The 3/4 " sections may have to be shortened to about 7.5 ft each??
I suspect two would fit, but not sure of three. I know they will coil and store that way, but how big (diameter) will the coil of a 10 ft section be. I dont think they would go into any of my hatches coiled . Of course one of them will have the termination fitting and elbow on it. And the pump on the other end. That surely wont go into the under belly tube.
Might have to remove the ends each use. Is that feasable?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
OK I'm sold. Great ingenuity MexRay on the box.
Thanks for the pics to all.

My only concern would be the clear fixture is maybe not as durable as the PVC or whatever the common fitting material is made from.
If one of those clear material tabs breaks off the twist on fitting I guess that means a whole new pump..Right? Also the poop bounces all over the brass nozzle and interior of the clear assembly, right? So how does that get cleaned up thouroghly? or is that important?

Lastly are the sections of 3/4 inch discharge line rigid enough to stash (stick) into the under trailer PVC tube that runs across wise the belly pan? Anyone know whether 3 of them will nest into the tube? They may have to be shortened to about 7.5 ft each??
I suspect two would fit, but not sure of three. I know they will coil and store that way, but how big (diameter) will the coil of a 10 ft section be. I dont think they would go into any of my hatches.
Right now I coil the SS hoses (I have 20' all together) in a 3 1/2 gal. (approx.) bucket that has a lid. The bucket was a laundry soap container. I am looking to mount 4" or 5" PVC under the coach for the slinky as a backup then use the rear bumper storage for the SS. I made up my additional SS 1" reinforced hose bought at Home Depot. However I had/have difficulty finding connectors to connect the hoses. I 'spose I should just spend the extra bucks on the extra SS hose that is sold separately. I've seen Mexray's set up. 'Sweet.'
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

I also use sections of 1" PVC to supplement the flex hose to make 50' and 70' dumps runs respectively.

Brian
We also used a 100' section of 1" PVC and 20' of the SS hose. We were then able to get downhill and into the septic tank intake that is on some property we have @Ft.Davis. When I was at the hardware store buying fittings to interface the hoses and PVC Sewer fittings, I kept being asked what I was using it for. I just really didn't feel like having to explain the details of it.

Worked great...
TxToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I've only used the SS once, but the poop really didn't stick to the brass jet. I dumped the black first, flushed it reall well with the factory flushing connection, and then dumped the grey tank. Looks pretty clean to me, and when I smelled it this afternoon, it still smelled new.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Durability

I've fulltimed since 2005. I used the factory supplied slinky once, then threw it out. Bought a new slinky that lasted about 3 months...I had to slightly stretch it to reach a sewer hookup and it started getting pinhole leaks. Fulltiming = more sun damage especially in the south. Found the Sewer Solution.

Wearing out? The original backflow protector broke about a year ago... I replaced it with a hardware store model. The clear part is a bit cloudy after 5 years in the sun... and the gasket is probably nearing the end of it's useful life, but all 20 feet of the hose is still in great condition. Urged on by this thread I ordered a new one. I don't think there are many slinkies that would hold up to the kind of use my SS has seen. I could probably get another season out of it EASILY... but I might end up in deep s**** which is unthinkably gross to even contemplate It's also not "Airstream-worthy" behavior to leave a mess for whoever might be unfortunate enough to camp in the same spot later!

For the most fastidious, it's the cleanup time savings that really makes the BIG difference. It's also the feeling that you're getting it REALLY clean! I've never seen a slinky hose that's clear. The SS has a green stripe circling the hose, but you can see what ISN'T inside it when you coil it up. BTW I store mine in my bumper in a plastic bag, but I like the Cat litter tub idea. Over time, a bit of odor can build up in the SS, but a brief soak in hot water and a quarter of a cup of vinegar in the tub or bucket would render it spotless.

OH, I don't need to wear rubber gloves when I'm cleaning up the hose and storing it - though finding a slug on the bottom side of the SS hose once made me wish I had them on... I did the "girlie shudder and twitch" for a few minutes that time.

Paula
Old 09-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have not had any major issues with using the slinky and we have a built-in rinse sprayer that does a good job...but you're all making me really consider this product...looks like a winner...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #37
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
This probably the best money I have ever spent when it comes to RV's. We use the one I have at the home "campground", especially when we have multiple units staying over. I have multiple power outlets, we can put splitters on the water, but the sewer clean out is uphill from where the trailers park. We us the SS and about 50' of PVC pipe just slipped together. It takes under an hour to pump out 3-4 holding tanks every week or so. At the time there were 3 fivers and a Silver Streak staying over. (Guys that I work with needed a place to hold over for a few weeks until the next project started). FWIW at our place grey water goes on the ground, usually into the garden.

If we had to us a conventional slinky hose cleanouts wouldn't happen.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #38
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Dump

I just ordered mine tonight.
I think this is good thing to use for me.I have had 2 blow outs with the slinky and the Airstream took a dump on me both times.Not a fun thing to see when your crouched down pulling on the handle and SLOSH!!!!!!!!.
And we are not talking about the the grey tank

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
The 'clear' housing of the SS is cast of polycarbonate - it won't ever break in normal use, and it if did, I'll bet SS would stand behind it!!! I wouldn't leave your SS housing laying around when you're using your 20 ton steam roller, however...

They use this stuff in laminates for bullet-resistant windows - it's tough!

Here's another view of our 'uncluttered' hook ups...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0228 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	253
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	87058  
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #40

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree on the strength and durability of the Sewer Solution clear housing. It appears to be as strong, if not stronger , than any of the slinky fixtures that attach to the tank drain outlet.

With my Sewer Solution, I always use a six inch clear attachment tube so that I always have a good view of what's going on during the tank draining process.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3670.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	87065  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote