Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
My buddy has a '65 Safari with a custom built grey + black tank and swears by the SS. I have a '67 Caravel with the original sized black (only) tank. I would go with a SS, but am a bit worried about not having the "gravity" effect that is supposed to totally evacuate the tank when you release the valve w/ a full tank and let the black water flow into a stinky slinky. I guess rotating the SS valve and utilizing the flush feature will discharge any remaining solids, but I am still not sure about it. Also- on the mid-'60's Caravel, the toilet flange is just offset of the tank drain, so if I used the rinse feature of the SS, is it going to shoot stuff to the underside of the toilet valve??

Old 09-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Having reread the manufactures web page I think I will stick to my statements.

Sewer Solution

I don't see this window you refer to and they clearly claim the injection of water back into the tank as a means of cleaning the tank.

Then again a difference of opinion is what make horse racing what it is.
Sorry, but it is necessary for somebody else to tell you (again) that you have no clue about the way the Sewer Solution works.

Yes, the flow can be directed back towards the tank and that is a nice way to clean off the valves. Mostly, the high-velocity water jet of the Sewer Solution is aimed into the 3/4" hose leading from the tank to the sewer. Our Sewer Solution also has the clear section which allows one to see when a tank is empty.

Where it is not necessary to pump uphill (which the Sewer Solution will do), we let our gray-water tank drain without the help of the water jet and, as others have said, use the jet to rinse afterwards. We always use the jet for the black-water tank and, when the tank is empty, point the jet back towards the tank to rinse the tank's drain pipe and valve.

We have no (zero, nada) complaints about our Sewer Solution and would hate to do without it.

Tim

Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've used a Sewer Solution since 2005. There are no little chunks left in the hose because it's smooth inside. The hose doesn't get pinhole leaks because it's thicker than a garden hose, and doesn't need any metal ribs - for the little chunks to get stuck in.

If you let the black tank "mellow" most of the solids are pretty well dissolved. Ditto for the Gray tank. The high pressure mascerator can break up any solids that might block the drain hose and can assist when you're draining up hill. I too have a built in flush in the black tank.

When I want to do a really thorough clean up, I'll drain and flush the black tank, then drain the gray tank, fill the sinks with hot water and then empty them through the gray tank. I find the gray tank can get pretty funky from kitchen waste and ordinary hair/skin cells from showering.

The Sewer Solution works.

It IS slightly slower draining than a slinky. Inside diameter rules that. However clean up time for a slinky... and you never DO get it clean... is a much longer and nastier process. I've been parked on grades where you have to "milk" a slinky to get the water down the sewer. Doesn't happen with a Sewer Solution - inside diameter creates pressure and makes the "stuff" MOVE fast in the hose.

Paula
Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Paula, I wholeheartedly agree with you. In my opinion, the Sewer Solution is the single best RVing accessory that I know of.

The only people who don't like the Sewer Solution are those who have never used one.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The only people who don't like the Sewer Solution are those who have never used one.
Exactly!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
..or those who have used one on a trailer without a gray tank

Which is my warning to modarch: you probably don't want to use one. If I recall correctly, the caravel has a floor mounted black tank, and a shower pan. yes?

anyway, here's what happens. Black water in the tank is at a higher level than the shower pan. the shower drain is connected to the sewer outlet, with no valve or one-way flow device to keep anything from flowing UP the shower drain and into the pan. this means that if you open the black tank valve, and anything is blocking the outflow to the slinky, the contents of the black tank will go into the shower pan.
since the Sewer Solution doesn't work as fast as gravity, (due to its small diameter hose), there is always just a wee bit of back-pressure on the effluent stream...and that's enough to make some of it back up into the shower pan.
not an issue in a modern trailer, where the black tank is completely isolated from any other drain. but watch out in any pre-1974 trailer, that hasn't been modified.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I LOVE the 'Sewer Solution'. One advantage for me is after a camping trip I can 'evacuate' our b-tank into our home sewer via a clean out with the addition of 20 more feet of PVC and 20 additional feet of hose. Here is a slide show of it 'in action' from 2 days ago at home. I did have to make an adapter extention from the trailer dump exit to more easily connect the SS. I do carry a slinky 'just in case' but haven't yet used it on the road.....except for a recent rally where I forgot to take my SS.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 001.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	87019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 002.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	87020  

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 003.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	87021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	87022  

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	87023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream, Sewer Solution to home sewer 006.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	87024  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
What about the durability of the SS?
I see they offer a replacement pump. How often and why is replacement needed?

Whats at the end of the 3/4 inch discharge hose? Do you just drop the hose itself into the dung-hole at the station? Any prob with it "whipping" out and doing the "funky cobra" dance?

Any leakage at the (bayonet) connector during use?

Oh and what is a "Water Thief" ??

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I can't comment on the durability as I haven't had mine very long, but there are no moving parts per se. The pump is a water jet pump. The only reason I think you'd ever need a replacement pump is if you dropped it or broke it or something. At the end of the hose they supply you with both a 3" and 4" adapter to fit snugly into the "poop chute" of the dump station, so no worries about it coming out and spraying you. I have no idea what a water thief is?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Water Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
I can't comment on the durability as I haven't had mine very long, but there are no moving parts per se. The pump is a water jet pump. The only reason I think you'd ever need a replacement pump is if you dropped it or broke it or something. At the end of the hose they supply you with both a 3" and 4" adapter to fit snugly into the "poop chute" of the dump station, so no worries about it coming out and spraying you. I have no idea what a water thief is?
Search - water thief - Camping World
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
..or those who have used one on a trailer without a gray tank

Which is my warning to modarch: you probably don't want to use one. If I recall correctly, the caravel has a floor mounted black tank, and a shower pan. yes?

anyway, here's what happens. Black water in the tank is at a higher level than the shower pan. the shower drain is connected to the sewer outlet, with no valve or one-way flow device to keep anything from flowing UP the shower drain and into the pan. this means that if you open the black tank valve, and anything is blocking the outflow to the slinky, the contents of the black tank will go into the shower pan.
since the Sewer Solution doesn't work as fast as gravity, (due to its small diameter hose), there is always just a wee bit of back-pressure on the effluent stream...and that's enough to make some of it back up into the shower pan.
not an issue in a modern trailer, where the black tank is completely isolated from any other drain. but watch out in any pre-1974 trailer, that hasn't been modified.
Chuck- great point about the shower pan. I knew there was another reason why I couldn't use one!

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Since there has been some confusion, and because photos are worth 1000 words, I give you photos:

Sewer Solution in dumping mode (note position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution is flushing mode (not position of brass nozzle)

Sewer Solution with quick disconnect anti-drainback valve attached

3" and 4" poop chute adapters (the 3" slides into the 4" if necessary--shown)

Sewer Solution and water line hooked up for dumping. Notice how you can physically see into the trailers dump pipe, hence you know when the tanks are empty.

Hope this helped,

Brian
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
The SS comes with an adapter for the inground sewer pipe - check out their pic's...

What's Included

You can see that the hose connects to a 90 degree elbow and into an adapter with a rubber 'grommet' to seal to the sewer pipe...works very well, and that 'grommet' provides a very tight seal!

We've used our SS since we got our AS, and wouldn't leave home without it!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sewer Solution Durability

I have had my Sewer Solution for over two years now. During this period, we have camped in Lucy about 350 nights. My original Sewer Solution is still going strong, under this fairly heavy use.

I have the Sewer Solution unit and three additional 10' sections of the Sewer Solution flex hose. I have never used more that 20' at any campground that we have been to. The only times that I have used the other two sections of flex hose is when we set up at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville or at our house in Santa Rosa Beach. At these dump locations, I also use sections of 1" PVC to supplement the flex hose to make 50' and 70' dumps runs respectively.

About a year ago, I purchased a back-up Sewer Solution as a back-up. I don't like the idea of the Sewer Solution having a problem, and having to go back to the sloppy stinky slinky even for a short time. My back-up Sewer Solution has yet to be out of the box.

A water thief is a rubber sleeve that can go over the end of an unthreaded faucet or a cut end of rubber hose. The water thief has a male garden hose thread on the other end.

Here are a few photos on my Sewer Solution all set-up. You will see in the photos the component that goes into the sewer.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3669.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	87028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3670.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	87029  

Name:	DSCN3671.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	87030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3672.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	87031  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote