Old 08-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Why would they pick on the SS setup ?

People with full hookups and a slinky still use their flush and such

I spay the faucet with a bleach solution prior to hooking my water hose up as last thing done could have been someone dumping and such

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Been using SS for 6 years. I can use it to 'dump' at home. I add more sewer hose to make it the 30' up the grade to our house cleanout. BUT I carry a slinky just for that rare dump at a public dump station.

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'm 99% convinced I want to switch to the sewer solution, but I do have a question. On our Airstream I believe there is a wye in the piping just upstream from the sewer hose connection. It doesn't look like the SS would do a good job of cleaning out the black tank on our 25fb (I'm referring to the feature/process of rotating the nozzle to spray out the tanks). Does the rotating spray process work without a direct 'shot' into the tank, or will I need 2 water supplies (one connected to the SS for the macerator and one connected to the blank tank flush on the AS)?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You will need both water supplies to get a good flush but you do not have to do it that way each time you dump the tanks.
Larry
Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I know folks use two hoses hooked to y valve to the faucet and dedicate one for the SS flush and one for the tank flush

That's a fine strategy

I also have just unscrewed the hose from the SS and put it on the AS flush input and go back and forth a few times as needed

But having dedicated two lines easier

Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Been using the SS for 5 years now - no regrets. I did have the campground "patrol" at my campsite last week in Arkansas stop by and question my setup. I went over it carefully. I use a "Y" connector on the campground faucet with an backflow connector immediately following BEFORE I connect my water hose that goes to the SS. Then there is the SS shut off valve and the SS backflow connection and quick connect. SO, 2 protection devices and a positive shut off valve keeps any unknowns from flowing upstream. This is in addition to the campground backflow protection at the faucet. I use my hose for other purposes - not drinking water - so I don't want any issues. My "white" hose goes on the other side of the "Y" connector and is safe from any issues.

I keep my SS in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and at home fill it to the top with water and add a good slug of bleach after every trip to keep it sanitary-ish. The bucket makes it easy to keep everything in one place. I do travel with a 4 inch line stored under the camper in a tube but have never used it in 5 years. If I cannot flush at the campsite then I carry it until I can.
Clancy, you use the exact set up and method I use right down to the bucket, with water and bleach to keep it all clean and sweet smelling. I made the mistake of not taking the quick disconnect out of my old trailer when I sold it. Had to buy another direct from the manufacturer. Shipping was as much as the little part.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I know folks use two hoses hooked to y valve to the faucet and dedicate one for the SS flush and one for the tank flush

That's a fine strategy

I also have just unscrewed the hose from the SS and put it on the AS flush input and go back and forth a few times as needed

But having dedicated two lines easier
I suppose if you have quick disconnects this wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I was a little worried this was getting too complicated with 3 water hoses (1 fresh water hose; 1 blank tank flush hose; 1 sewer solution water hose).

I guess if you are running the blank tank flush (built into the AS) you don't have to run the sewer solution "pump" at the same time?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The built in AS black tank flush is indispensable! Flipping up the Sewer Solution sprayer to get water back into the tank is mostly good for cleaning out the sewer pipe connections and not so much the black tank itself. When I use the built in black tank flush, I am AMAZED at how much more comes out! It would be a mistake not to use the back tank flush every once and awhile; not necessarily at every black tank dump, but at least every second or third time and certainly before storing the trailer for any length of time.

We've been on the road now for about six weeks and I am still "sold" on the Sewer Solution. The "regular" dump hose is still unused.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I suppose if you have quick disconnects this wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I was a little worried this was getting too complicated with 3 water hoses (1 fresh water hose; 1 blank tank flush hose; 1 sewer solution water hose).

I guess if you are running the blank tank flush (built into the AS) you don't have to run the sewer solution "pump" at the same time?

Wait - where can I get a quick disconnect that will work for the SS and AS?!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Wait - where can I get a quick disconnect that will work for the SS and AS?!
The quick connect on the SS is standard. The generic quick connects I picked up at Lowes work.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like the SS quick disconnect because it has an on/off feature. It is very convenient to gave this option.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
So I can get one that hooks to the AS flush input and simply swap back and forth?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Yes, just try to remember where it went when you try to use it for anything else.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Here is a picture of our Sewer Solution setup. I use the Y valve to be able to use the water powered macerator and the black tank flush without having to switch the water supply line back and forth (even with hose quick disconnects this is a pain.) I find that to get a really good black tank flush I need to alternate between the flush and macerator quite a few times as well as using the flush feature to put a few gallons of clean water into the black tank with the dump valve shut to get almost everything out of the tank. There is an "art" to getting a really good black tank flush and I suggest that you try it once and awhile when you have the time. It can take 1/2 an hour or so to do a complete dump and flush. I will only do this periodically at a full service campsite so as not to hold anyone one up on line behind me at the public dumping station. Most of the time, I just do the "standard" black tank dump followed by the grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SewerSolutionSetup.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	220321