Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphdude View Post
When using the extension, do you all use hose clamps to secure the extension to the metal fitting? It seems pretty lose and the lubricant from the factory makes it seem like it could come disconnected easily.
Triumphdude, I never have used hose clamps. There isn't a lot of internal pressure in the hose unless you're draining UPHILL and even then the majority of the pressure is in the tank being drained and the mascerator on the SS. To make "it" run uphill (slightly uphill) the pressure of the tank puts waste into the hose, then the mascerator comes into play. Instead of pointing the pressurized water into the black or gray tank, you point it down the SS hose. That pressure continues to push water out of the black or gray tank.

As long as the water is flowing to a drain their isn't a bunch of pressure inside the hose.

Paula

Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphdude View Post
When using the extension, do you all use hose clamps to secure the extension to the metal fitting? It seems pretty lose and the lubricant from the factory makes it seem like it could come disconnected easily.
The small stainless steel connectors for the 10' hoses are tight enough hat there is no leakage.

My slinky is now long gone, just use the SS. When we are fully hooked up I just leave the grey tank open, one less thing to keep track of, and then for teardown I backflush the grey tank while I'm hooking up the other green hose to the black tank internal sprayer. After I am happy with the grey tank outflow I close its valve so the black tank does not flow into it: the two large 3" valves would make that easy for tanks at the same height.

The rest of the session has the jet spray running to flush black tank contents down the exit, and I turn on the black tank sprayer and close/open the black tank. The backflush doesn't seem to be as effective as I had hoped but the internal sprayer works pretty good.

The other issue with this is that it seems to use a lot of water, and we are pretty dry here. I'm going to put a flowmeter on the green hoses next time to see how much I use.

Also bought, but have not used, two 10' lengths of pvc pipe and fittings to get to my home sewer cleanout. A colleague (FreshAir) uses his SS at home and pumps uphill 35 feet!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Water usage

TerraYacht
Please do post your observed water usage when using the SS. I was concerned about that very issue when I was doing my dry run. While not an issue in the water logged Midwest, I suspect that some folks in the arid SW would bring that up when we dump using the SS and it would be nice to report a modest amount of extra water if that is truly the case. I would guess that the amont of water would be in the range of 7 to 10 gallons per tank (based on 40 gallons in each waste tank).
Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I will do that, but no plans to take the moho out, except for new tires. Our next few outings are are time-share or airplane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
Camping World has the Sewer Solution on sale today only for $89.99.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Is the SS efficiency dependent upon the pressure of the water supply?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
I seems to help with higher pressure but any pressure helps break up the black tank. Greay tank doesn't need much help. More pressure does help the back flush out where you you shoot water up into the drain tubes.

Compared to the regular sewer slinky hose this is a piece of cake and there days I rarely wear gloves since everything is really well rinsed while connected. Very different than a slinky-stinky.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We love it so far - used it at a dump station with someone behind me Sunday - took a few min but no biggie

If you are in a hurry definately use the SS flush/macerater jet - faster that way

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We are hooked up at a friends house for a couple weeks. There is an electric and water connection, but the septic tank is 100' away
and slightly uphill.
I bought 10 sections of thinwall 3/4" PVC pipe.I cut them in half to make them easier to handle, then cemented a couple to one end of each piece. Then I put them together and connected the SS, I use a "Y", so I can connect water too the SS and my black water rinse at the same time. My friend's water pressure is 50 psi.
I was able to empty the black water tank in less than 10 minutes....... with no problems.
I've had the SS 2 years and used it a lot, but this is the longest distance so far.
Footer whatever it's worth.
Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We've been using the Sewer Solution all summer and have probably dumped the tanks a couple dozen times so far with this product. We still love it and will continue to use. In my opinion the primary benefit over the traditional hose setup is the relatively clean state of affairs of the dumping hardware when done. I just don't think that simply using the "dump the black first followed by the grey and then a little spritz of water in the sewer hose" method results in a "clean" setup.

By the way, using the internal black tank flush really gets a lot more stuff out of that tank than a simple dump. I spent quite a bit of time the other day while at a full hook up site really cleaning out the black tank using the internal flush mechanism to partially refill the tank with the valve closed several times. It took awhile but it's probably a good idea to do this every once and awhile. The Sewer Solution really didn't play a role in this particular effort but I point this out only so that others ca consider doing this as well.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
The SS is a great system. I never liked the slinkys because of the ridges and feel they often trap stuff that then can get transferred into your storage compartment.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just ordered one last night, looking forward to trying it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We've been using the Sewer Solution all summer and have probably dumped the tanks a couple dozen times so far with this product. We still love it and will continue to use. In my opinion the primary benefit over the traditional hose setup is the relatively clean state of affairs of the dumping hardware when done. I just don't think that simply using the "dump the black first followed by the grey and then a little spritz of water in the sewer hose" method results in a "clean" setup.

By the way, using the internal black tank flush really gets a lot more stuff out of that tank than a simple dump. I spent quite a bit of time the other day while at a full hook up site really cleaning out the black tank using the internal flush mechanism to partially refill the tank with the valve closed several times. It took awhile but it's probably a good idea to do this every once and awhile. The Sewer Solution really didn't play a role in this particular effort but I point this out only so that others ca consider doing this as well.

yup, if your goal is to run the airstream tank flush to the point where the water comes out "clean"...you have to really take the time and flush it 2-3 times to achieve this. I may be getting lazy...but I am to the point where I only do this here and there...takes forever and a ton of water to do this....this video shows how much it takes to achieve this...this dude is super anal, lol...he wants it so clean so that it passes his so called "sniff test".....

PS to airstream folks buying newer campers...some (the bunkhouse for example) has a macerator toilet...these so called "electric toilets"....do not put ice in these!! I did not make this mistake, but some dealers may be a bit missing on this point...my dealer was very helpful but gave us the ice tip...I corrected them, but that could have I presume caused some real damage.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Been using the SS for 5 years now - no regrets. I did have the campground "patrol" at my campsite last week in Arkansas stop by and question my setup. I went over it carefully. I use a "Y" connector on the campground faucet with an backflow connector immediately following BEFORE I connect my water hose that goes to the SS. Then there is the SS shut off valve and the SS backflow connection and quick connect. SO, 2 protection devices and a positive shut off valve keeps any unknowns from flowing upstream. This is in addition to the campground backflow protection at the faucet. I use my hose for other purposes - not drinking water - so I don't want any issues. My "white" hose goes on the other side of the "Y" connector and is safe from any issues.

I keep my SS in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and at home fill it to the top with water and add a good slug of bleach after every trip to keep it sanitary-ish. The bucket makes it easy to keep everything in one place. I do travel with a 4 inch line stored under the camper in a tube but have never used it in 5 years. If I cannot flush at the campsite then I carry it until I can.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote